el Camino
    May 2012

CrossCheck Brakes?

Picked up an almost fully equipped Crosscheck yesterday for $450 (I think that's a super deal, right? the frame is in good shape, as are the components, perfect size). All it's missing are brakes. Any thoughts out there on the best all purpose brakes for a Crosscheck? I think I'm leaning towards cantilevers.

How about rear derailleurs?

Not too worried about weight, but I do want sturdy and simple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would look at avid shorty 4 or 6's for brakes at a price point. Ultimate's in 'narrow' position if you want to spend.
    Shorty 4? Rim Brake | SRAM

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    spendy, but I love my paul neo-retro canti's. super easy to setup, and classic american made.

el Camino
    May 2012
    Thanks. I'm all for saving money and supporting american made, not always an easy combo. Maybe I can split the difference and just run a Paul canti up front for now... We'll see what the local used bike shop has to offer.

Any tips on a solid rear derailleur for a 1x9 setup? I've been riding SS and FG for a long time, so I'm pretty out of the loop on drive train components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just ordered the TRP CX-9 set from Price Point for my 2013 CC. $129 bucks for a full set. I have the stock canti's on there now and on steep single track I hit a pucker factor of 9 when I couldn't stop. Also going to add bar top brake levers and 105 shifters/brake levers soon.

Here's a link to my post about the same topic on the Surly forum:

CC Brake upgrade questions

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
    I just ordered the TRP CX-9 set from Price Point for my 2013 CC. $129 bucks for a full set. I have the stock canti's on there now and on steep single track I hit a pucker factor of 9 when I couldn't stop. Also going to add bar top brake levers and 105 shifters/brake levers soon.

Here's a link to my post about the same topic on the Surly forum:

CC Brake upgrade questions

Good luck!
    Do you have to change levers due to ratio needed for v-brakes? I am running Ultegra for example

Outlaw
    No, the TRP's are mini v-brakes. They're made to work with road levers.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty happy with my Tektro CR720 brakes and have been racing on them with no problems. They're a cinch to set up (my first time setting up cantilevers and I didn't have a problem at all). You can pick up a pair for less than $50. The pads aren't the greatest, but it's easy enough to swap them out for a set of koolstop salmon or dual compound pads (another $20). They take road-size cartridge pads, which are plentiful. That said, I'm still racing on the original pads. No big deal.

As for your 9 speed RD, it depends what you're going to be shifting with. Road levers? Indexed or friction? What size cassette are you going to use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Tektro RX5 mini V up front. Canti out back. Way more power and no fork chatter. More economical than The TRP and only $20 for a set. Get a jagwire adjustable noodle too. Not as bling as the TRPs but they work if you are on a budget. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is there a drawback to running the trp cx9's? Mud clearence?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    No, the TRP's are mini v-brakes. They're made to work with road levers.
    It sounds like yes & no. Different models for different ratio levers (Dura ace, ultegra 10 spd vs. others)

Lennard Zinn's season-ending cyclocross component review - VeloNews.com

"One big issue: I have Shimano 9-speed, with levers that have a different reach than 10-speed -- and the CX-9 are for the newer levers ONLYS. Unfortunately I had to figure this out for myself: The manual is terrible, very unclear. The product description on the TRP website, on Jenson's website, and on pretty much every other website is also unclear. It would have been helpful to have some kind of compatibility chart or guide in the literature or site somewhere.

So this is more a word to the wise than a review: Make sure you know which levers you're shopping for! The latest word I got is I should have bought the 8.4's; I'll return the 9's and buy those." TRP CX9 Mini Brakeset > Components > Brakes > V-Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In my opinion, you buy v brakes based on the tires you want to run. If you have a cross check, how big a tire will you ever run? Figure that out and then buy your brakes, getting the shortest arms that will clear your tires.

I think, with your bike you might need 90mm long brake arms to clear a 1.9 tire, but I could be wrong about that. Those will be a little spongy and your wheels will have to be truer than if you got 80mm brake arms, which would only clear cross tires, I think.

The beauty of v brakes is that they are so cheap you can buy a set for $40, and if you don't like them, buy another size. I think the cheapest v brakes are going to stop you better than the best cross canti's, and the most expensive v brakes are just going to be overkill on your bike.

If you ride in a bunch of mud, or your wheels are out of true, you might just want to get canti's, otherwise I would get some v's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my Tektro CR720 brakes
    This, for affordable cantilevers. Best I've found short of Pauls. The new CR710 is supposed to be good as well in a low-profile format.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Is there a drawback to running the trp cx9's? Mud clearance?
    In general with mini-Vs, you have to set them up very close to the rim, much closer than with cantilevers. Yes you lose some mud clearance, but I haven't found this to be too problematic in real world use. If you're single speeding or retro-shifting, you can opt for drop bar V levers (e.g. Tektro RL520) to give more pad/rim clearance. Some use Travel Agents, but that's a whole world I haven't explored yet.

I've been using the Tektro 926AL 80mm mini-Vs on my Kona SS for a couple years, works great with kool stop salmons. The tire clearance/height issue is a legit concern and precludes fenders for me, but I can use a 1.8"/44mm tire with no problems.