mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Crossbike shopping

Shopping for a crossbike for this coming season that will also double as a commuter sometimes so it needs to have the ability to add a rack, which pretty much rules carbon bikes out and that's ok, not really wanting to spend that much I don't think unless I stumble upon a hell of a deal on a used one.

I keep going back to this Fantom Cross Pro but I've never ridden SRAM Rival. Is that similar to Shimano Sora? I had that on another bike and really didn't like it.

I've also looking at the used market but it's hard to tell on some of the bikes if they have the ability to add the rack for commuting. Local shop that I've bought my Road and TT bike from sell Specialized, BMC, Felt, Santa Cruz and maybe a couple more.

Also found a used Ridley X-bow which I heard is good bang for the buck but I'm not 100% it has the ability to add the racks.

What else should I be looking at? I'd say $1500 budget but would like to keep it closer to $1000

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rival is much nicer than Sora. More like 105 or ultegra IMO. I have both.

SS in CO
    surly cross check. all the rack stuff you could ever ask for, plus room for big meats if you'd like. commuter/cross is what I bought mine for. it's in your price range as well, with room for an upgrade here or there if you want.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    surly cross check. all the rack stuff you could ever ask for, plus room for big meats if you'd like. commuter/cross is what I bought mine for. it's in your price range as well, with room for an upgrade here or there if you want.

J.
    Not that the Motobecane would be light but isn't the cross check heavy? I've got a surly troll that's a pig (debating on keeping).

SS in CO
    I wouldn't call it light, but I wouldn't call it heavy either...seems like with the right components, you could get it down to the 19-20lb range. besides, you're gonna put racks on it and carry stuff? weight shouldn't be too much of a concern.

yes, the steel is heavier. but it also rides a lot nicer. especially in pot-holed streets.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cross check is a great, extremely versatile bike. Hard to go wrong with it.

Outlaw
    I love my Cross Check. It is heavier than many, but not so heavy that is a problem, and it makes for a really comfy commuter. Tough but really fun on the single-track as well. I did 15 races last fall and was cooking guys on $3k & $4k bikes. It won't hold you back unless you let it.

I think the stock build kit is **** for the money, way overpriced. I run a mix of Rival and Force with some wheels I built. Get a frame and start buying parts as you find them cheap. It took me about a year to build mine but price was more important than getting the bike built. It may take time but instant gratification is not compatible with cheap.

Good luck,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If I came across a Cross Check frameset on the cheap in my size I'd probably get it but I wouldn't buy one new I don't think. I'm sure it's comfy but I kind of think of it as more a commuter/tourer and then a cross bike where I'm looking for a crossbike 1st that can double as a commuter. Probably wouldn't make a difference for a chump like me but guess that's how my mind works

SS in CO
    not sure why so many people dog on the xcheck as a cross bike. like Joe said, it will only hold you back if you want it to. are you racing professionally in the cross circuit? then it's probably just as good a cross bike as anything else out there, and will give you better stuff for commuting than most. just my 2 cents...

also, I've been beating the piss out of my stock build for about 3 years now and have yet to replace anything other than brake pads...

J.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    SRAM kit for Cx beats Shimano at all levels (imho, of course), except one. I rode 3 races on my amazing and way too expensive Cx bike equipped with Ultegra Di2 which is unbelievably smooth shifting. And this year I'm selling it, to be replaced with a SRAM equipped bike. But that's not what you were looking for.
    Even as a commuter bike with racks (hello... backpack? I kid...), especially at the low end group sets, you will get more for your money and better shifting (again with the IMHO). I've had Sora, 105, Ultegra, DA, Di2, Apex, Force, and Red equipped road and Cx bikes. My money goes to SRAM now.
    fwiw- I picked up a used Ridley X-bow off CL super-cheap for my wife to race on last year and it is an amazing bike. It was such a good deal I drove 3 hours each way to get it. Ridley makes a great bike, for sure. They just don't fit me very well and I don't get a team discount on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c_rex View Post
    Even as a commuter bike with racks (hello... backpack? I kid...), especially at the low end group sets, you will get more for your money and better shifting (again with the IMHO). I've had Sora, 105, Ultegra, DA, Di2, Apex, Force, and Red equipped road and Cx bikes. My money goes to SRAM now.
    fwiw- I picked up a used Ridley X-bow off CL super-cheap for my wife to race on last year and it is an amazing bike. It was such a good deal I drove 3 hours each way to get it. Ridley makes a great bike, for sure. They just don't fit me very well and I don't get a team discount on them.
    Wish I could do the backpack thing but I'm a HUGE sweater. I can actually make it to work with a rack without having to shower and without having my backpack soaking wet. lol

I keep searching CL, Ebay etc looking for something but that BD bike with rival still doesn't look too bad

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    I get that. I'm the same way. During our indoor team training I put full sized towels under me to sop up the mess. Others look at me like I'm some sort of freak by the end of the session.
    Good luck with your selection! Another FWIW, I just saw a SRAM Force Carbon group on Seattle CL for $450. Has everything but the cassette. Thinking about picking it up for my 11 y.o. daughter's Cx race bike. The cranks are 170's though. Could work for you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c_rex View Post
    I get that. I'm the same way. During our indoor team training I put full sized towels under me to sop up the mess. Others look at me like I'm some sort of freak by the end of the session.
    Good luck with your selection! Another FWIW, I just saw a SRAM Force Carbon group on Seattle CL for $450. Has everything but the cassette. Thinking about picking it up for my 11 y.o. daughter's Cx race bike. The cranks are 170's though. Could work for you?
    I'm 6'1 with long legs, 170mm are probably a touch short. I run 172.5 on my TT Bike and 175 on my Road. Already spin like crazy (95 or so cadence) so I'd probably be better off in the 175 range. Gives me hope though. Few hundred for the frame set, $500 for a nice used Group and then some good wheels and I should be ok. I'll keep shopping the used market for a while

mtbr member
    I would recommend the Trek Crossrip Elite if you are looking for a budget friendly bike. A very comfy commuter that rides through urban streets like a dream. Yes, it is heavier than the avg 20-23 pound cyclo bike but what does weight matter if you are a commuter unless if your desire is to also race. I have a 56cm and it weighs about 25 pounds. Got mine at $1k but planning to put some Stan's Iron Cross rims or 340's and it will drop about 2 pounds of rotational weight plus with much better hubs than most priced at $1500 and I can run tubeless if needed. The Crossrip Elite has DISC brakes and fender mount capability with a relax geometry. Just my 2 cents since there is not much reviews/opinions on the Crossrip Elite. It is a very versatile bike. A jack of all trades IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok you guys will probably laugh but this might work out well. i picked up a motobecane team AL frame (in orange which I've always kinda wanted but didn't want the rest of the parts on the orange bike), carbon fork, crankset and cantilever brakes (trp euro which I know nothing about) for $300 and it's my size. So I get to choose all my parts and build the rest of the bike I want. Now to run off and find wheels, bars, brifters and rear derailleur