Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cross XX1. Coming soon?

A week ago I suggested this to a guy on another forum. I guess Trebon is riding a prototype. Very cool. Makes sense to me.

Spotted: Prototype SRAM cyclocross single chainring

Bro Mountainbiker
    Interested in hearing more about this. Wonder if they will require the XX1 freehub for this too...

Does anyone actually need a cog smaller than an 11t for 1x CX? I ran a 39t with a 12-28 and I dont think I even went onto the small side of the cassette once this year.

39x11 is already 95 Gear Inches. If you are spinning out that gear racing CX, you are a monster.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    SRAM are doing the obvious, so it seems. I figured if they went with the XD driver and 135mm spacing... could very well see a 1x12 or possibly even 1x13 CX (then maybe road?) groupset.

With a 36t front ring, a 12speed block may look something like:

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 28

... and a 13speed(!) block like:

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28

That gives you a bit more spread than a 36t/46t with 12t-27t block. I think.

Certified Moots Whore...
    I run a xx1 crankset (11 speed) with a type 2 xo rear derailleur, cassette, and chain (10 speed).

So you can definitely mix and match the mtb parts. I hope the same holds true for the cross goodies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I ran a 39t with a 12-28 and I dont think I even went onto the small side of the cassette once this year.
    Same here. I'd even be interested in just the front chain rings or crank, so I can ditch my chain guide.

mtbr member
    You should be able to do that. Guys are using the XX1 crank with 10 speed cassettes, even Shimano cassettes and it's working.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't know why guys are getting boners over the XX1 chain ring.
    It's a non ramped ring with slightly taller teeth...just like rings were 20 years ago.
    If you get your chain length right...you won't drop a chain.

Bro Mountainbiker
    SS rings are great too in that respect.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I don't know why guys are getting boners over the XX1 chain ring.
    It's a non ramped ring with slightly taller teeth...just like rings were 20 years ago.
    If you get your chain length right...you won't drop a chain.

Taller teeth, yes. But the reason XX1 does not require a chainguide for most applications has more to do with the alternating width of the teeth—a feature found on some older chainrings, but absent from most everything you're likely to find today.

The alternating width of the teeth creates a tighter interface between the chain's inner and outer plates, the result is a significant decrease in side-to-side movement. Less side-to-side movement = fewer dropped chains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross XX1. Coming soon?-chainrings.jpg  

manufacturer
    Sorry for digging an old thread but i thought i will share with this as CX season is not that far.
    CX-rings

Same solution as mtb XX1 style but in 110 and 130bcd. For now only 42T but in few weeks also 38T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross XX1. Coming soon?-xx1-42-130bcd.jpg  

Cross XX1. Coming soon?-xx1-42-110bcd.jpg  

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    But you have to run a clutch derailleur too? I've raced two seasons on a 42 single ring with a $20.00 chain guard and a $10.00 N-Gear jump stop without a single chain issue. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars to do the same thing?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    We are testing with both Clutch and no-clutch. Certainly the clutch won't hurt, but about 1/3-1/2 our mtbk customers are not using a clutch with very few chain drops.
    CX has some mechanical advantages of mtbk too (more teeth on ring engaged and short cage rear derr) so we think in most conditions no clutch will be needed.
    Clutch or not, we still think a chain catcher will be needed in REALLY clumpy muddy conditions (our mtbk data gathering tells us this, as some top World Cup teams are doing this now even with a clutch).
    Finally, all I can tell you so far is that test results with NO clutch have been very positive so far.

40-42 in both 110 and 130BCD are on sale now shipping next week: Products | wolftoothcomponents.com

38 and 44t will ship the following week.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member

CX ring pictures

Cross XX1. Coming soon?-cx-simon.jpgCross XX1. Coming soon?-110-x-42-ring-only.jpgCross XX1. Coming soon?-110-x-42-crank.jpg
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Creepy tooth fairy
    Rad!!! When will the 38t rings be back in stock? I plan to run a single front (36 or 38t) with a Paul chain keeper this season with my trusty Rival medium cage derailleur. What chain should be run with this set-up?
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    The 38s will begin pre-selling next week and ship the following week.

You probably won't need the Paul unless it gets really nasty!

Any 10 or 11 speed chain will work.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

manufacturer
    Same here. 38T absoluteBlack will be ready to preorder before Friday.
    As Wolf already wrote, you can run 10 or 11 speed chain. I have also stated same thing on my website that in really sticky mud there is a possibility to loose the chain, but in general you will be absolutely fine.

Clutch rear mech - you don't need it really in cyclocross from few reasons. Chainwrap is huge compared to mtb rings (32-34 being most popular) and because you guys use short cage anyway (opposite to mtb where a lot of people have long one). So your chain is relatively short enough and tensioned enough that there is not that much possibility for rear mech to bounce. Besides it's not XC world cup terrain so the only problem may be sticky mud. But in such conditions, lets be fair - all sucks and will stop running.

Why use it? Because you will not collect lots of mud on chain catcher and bash. Simpler and easier to clean after. Simpler to take off the crank or chain. Less expensive if you after fancy bash and chaincatcher. Less things to break or bent. LIGHTER
    If that's not enough reasons to get it then you most likely don't need it.

I will update my website tomorrow hopefully with 38T 130 and 110 BCD

below details of the quality you will get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross XX1. Coming soon?-xx1-38-130bcd.jpg  

Cross XX1. Coming soon?-sram-xx1-detail-.jpg  

Cross XX1. Coming soon?-sram-xx1-.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    As a veteran of more than 2 decades as a mechanic, 1x drivetrains are the best thing I've seen in a long time. Kudos to both Wolftooth and Absolute Black for giving us reasonably priced options!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Twin Six METAL Team
    I spoke to a SRAM rep at a demo a few months back, and mentioned concocting some sort of CX XX1 solution using S700 cranks, XX1 spider, etc. After he told me it would not work, he told me to be patient, and that some cool new things were coming this fall.

Maybe something at Interbike? Seems a little late with CX season starting around that time, but who knows.
    Last edited by chrisgardner73; 08-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.

manufacturer
    If they launch it it will be 120$+ ring like mtb ones. (38T mtb xx1 costs 127$ retail, so 42T will be even more expensive since it's a LOT more work time to do it)

manufacturer
    so here are the real photos if anyone interested.
    I also run a small contest on my Fb page so if you want to grab a discout then look there @ #absoluteblack:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/absol...15426098560064

manufacturer
    So, 38T is ready to order
    42T is in stock in both colors already.
    You can see the red below. It just looks gorgeous!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/absol...15426098560064

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I also run a 1x9, 38 x 12-32, I have the 32 because my training trails have some real hills, the 38 is the smallest I can get on that sworks spider.
    For actual cx I'd be totally happy with a 36/34/32 x 12-28. There just aren't that many descents smooth enough to pedal a big gear (like a fire road descent), and almost any steeper hillclimb is going to have a barrier in front of it for a runup. At the race yesterday I saw guys preparing to start in the big ring up front (53?), I think I passed them right away. I've got a 32 in front on my 29er mtb, I intend to race cx with it on a more hilly course coming up, and I doubt I will have to shift at all in the front (12-32 rear). I rarely have to shift to the big ring on the mtb, I'm considering removing it for more log clearance, - tag logs with it more than I shift to it.

manufacturer
    where do you ride? As i really doubt that you can use 29er on CX courses here in Europe. there is this one rule where you have to use drop bars and max 34mm tires, so it really prevents you from using mtb bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am near Seattle in Washington State, our rules are that mountain bikes are allowed without 'forward facing bar ends', flat bar cx bikes are allowed as well.
    When I started cx in '91 (and then being out of racing for a long time after about '93) not so many guys had proper bikes, and there was a category called 'open class' for mountain bike racers who didn't have cx bikes but wanted to race cx. It was a pretty large and competitive group, at one race I knew a cat1 track guy who was with us, and there were several c1 road guys, plus the mtb guys, -quite a diverse group! At that time many of us mtb racers used 'bar ends', and plenty were removed immediately prior to the start of the first race of the season, -quite a few guys with small gaps on the ends of their bars outside of the grips. There were only 3 categories back then; cx (for those with proper bikes), open, and beginner.
    One race we did a Le Mans start, that was cool just for the history of that sort of start, I'd like to see that again even though I'm a bad runner.

mtbr member
    The UCI stipulates drop bars and max tire width of 33mm but in the US, mountain bikes typically can be used for any race that does not award UCI points. Of course the purists will also tell you that any course that can be raced as fast or faster on a mtb, is not a very well designed cx course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast