Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Cross frames with 50mm + rear clearance?

Besides custom frames, any stock frames with 50mm of clearance? Want something with a couple mm's clearance for 700x45's for touring on rougher dirt roads.

Kona's 2014 Rove Ti looks good other than the price.

Kona Offers Sneak Peek of 2014 Titanium Rove - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the current steel Rove!
    but I've picked it up and it's a bit of a tank.
    FWIW I have a set of 47mm continental city contacts in my salsa casseroll, and fit 28x2" schwalbe fat franks in there as well.
    minimal clearance but there you go.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cross check?

mtbr member
    Singular has a couple of frames, or for big money, Co-motion.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The Rove says only 40mm clearance, wonder if the 2014's will have more like the Ti Rove? Cross-check doesn't have disk brakes which is a deal breaker for me, but the Singular Peregrine could be a option.

The scenario i'm worried about is being on a remote dirt road touring with a 700x45c tire, hitting a bump or bending a rim (whatever scenario you were not expecting on a remote tour) and not having enough room for a out of true wheel. Guess the same could be true in the middle of something like the Dirty Kanza as well.

mtbr member
    Don't forget about Surly Ogre, Salsa Fargo, and I believe Charge makes 1 or 2 as well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Theres also the Black Mountain Monstercross and the Salsa Vaya. ive seen pics of people running as large as 1.8" tires on both.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    50+ is dropbar 29er territory. Not too many CX frames will clear that. What are you trying to do with it?

Older Specialized Tricrosses, Redline Conquests and Lemonds will clear 38+. Anything else is a lot to ask from a manufacturer when they already make a 29" hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside View Post
    50+ is dropbar 29er territory. Not too many CX frames will clear that. What are you trying to do with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveNinja View Post
    The scenario i'm worried about is being on a remote dirt road touring with a 700x45c tire, hitting a bump or bending a rim (whatever scenario you were not expecting on a remote tour) and not having enough room for a out of true wheel. Guess the same could be true in the middle of something like the Dirty Kanza as well.
    Looked at the mt. bike, but really I'm wanting something closer to a road/cross bike setup and riding position and I do use it for cross in the winter. I think more and more people, especially in the mid-west, are looking for a cross bike in the winter they can use on dirt road rides/races in the summer. Also, from experience, I've used my cross bike on Dirty Kanza and not been able to get the wheel true enough to finish after nailing a bump do to limited clearance. As mentioned in the original post, Kona will have a 50mm clearance frame in 2014, just was looking for other options I might have missed.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't 29er rims be a better option? Extra clearance works for an out of true wheel but simply using another 700c rim on a wider frame doesn't eliminate the weak link in your setup--a road rim.

Unless you have unusual BB height requirements or a certain head tube/seat tube angle combination not available in the recommended frames, I guess the only acceptable option is the one you've already selected.

Perhaps I'm missing something? Are you dead set on a 130mm rear drop out? Is there specific brand/model of tire you intend to use? What HTA/STA combo are looking for? Do you have a preferred BB drop?

Or did you simply want something marketed as a "cyclocross" bike/frame?
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    700c/29 wheels are almost interchangeable and 135mm is fine as well, that's not the issue. It is frame geometry.

29'er frames geom is built for suspension forks and have high front ends. Even most of the rigid forks are built to work interchangeably with 80-100mm suspension forks. This is what Salsa's Fargo was built for. If you don't need suspension, sure its possible to ride a 29'er with a cross fork on dirt roads or cross, however the geometry is quite out of whack. If you stick a cross fork without the extra head tube height, you end up with 75-76 degree seat tube angles and 73degree heat tube angles. Drop bars on a 29'er leaves a lot to be desired from the cross/dirt road side of things. I've tried both options.

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. That's absolutely correct and trying to estimate fork length for HT bike is, at best, unnecessary when other options exist.

As mentioned, the Surly Cross-Check with 132.5mm drop outs may be your best bet. They specify room for 45mm tires and feature road geo. Perhaps, buy the frame/fork and build to your own spec?
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Carrying a spoke wrench and getting a little practice in truing would solve your fear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
    Carrying a spoke wrench and getting a little practice in truing would solve your fear.
    25 years of wheel building and repairs has taught me that sometimes severely bent rims can not be resolved simply by spoke tension. You can easily bend a rim beyond what spoke tension will correct where the spoke will snap or pull through the rim. I've had this happen, of course not close to home, and it was several hours of walking.

700x45 tires are getting more and more common for dirt road riding. Dirty Kanza recommends 700x44 minimum. Ruined tires and taco-ed wheels are not that uncommon. 3mm clearance on each side is also not crazy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    25 years of wheel building and repairs has taught me that sometimes severely bent rims can not be resolved simply by spoke tension. You can easily bend a rim beyond what spoke tension will correct where the spoke will snap or pull through the rim. I've had this happen, of course not close to home, and it was several hours of walking.

700x45 tires are getting more and more common for dirt road riding. Dirty Kanza recommends 700x44 minimum. Ruined tires and taco-ed wheels are not that uncommon. 3mm clearance on each side is also not crazy.
    I agree that more clearance is better. Wish my frame had more clearance for larger than 40c. I really hope you have some luck in your search. With that said, I just think that if a wheel is so out of true that spoke tension can't fix it, 3mm of clearance on each side isn't likely to be enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Origin8 CX700 is supposed to fit 2.1" tires, I have loads of clearance on mine with 40mm tires:

- http://www.jbimporters.com/web/links/2012%20Frames.html

I have a triple MTB crankset on it (external bearing), 68mm shell but I have removed all spacers on the drive side and cranks still clear the chain stays by a fair amount. The mfg. recommends an MTB crank, but I think a road crank might just fit. I get a 45mm chain line with the current crank.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-11-2013 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The problem is not the wheels (many cx disc bikes can take mtb wheels already), but the bb clearance for fat rubber. Cross bikes are designed to use road components, which have 68mm or equivalent bbs with low Q (pedal-to-pedal) values. MTBs have 73mm bbs to clear the fat tires and give you good chainline. The Fargo is a frame that is intended to be built up with mountain groups but put you over drop bars. Vassago Fisticuff also. Most of these bikes we're talking about are heavy with steel frames, but the Fargo can be had with a ti frame.

There are many geometry considerations so you should stick with a frame designed for that purpose, and not adapt a mountain frame, which typically has very long top tubes and will not let you get comfortable with a drop bar.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice example: how long is the wait for those things? 4 years?

Edit: just checked they're webpage. 7 months. not so bad

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I think I like the looks of the soulcraft better even though it wont take as big a tire.

Trail Junkie
    I know this doesn't classify as a "big tire" CX bike (45c+) but I think one way they could get around this is to widen the BB. I was looking at how the new Volagi Viaje was made. It has the BB386 which is wide like mountain BB using a press-fit, but will mount the 110/74 mountain road/crankset that accepts road compact rings (50/34), and since the width is wider, you'll have the chainring clearance as well. The only difference being a 30mm vs 24mm spindle which they make adapters and different BBs for.

Now I know this doesn't address the OP's original question, but it does address the means of if a frame was build, how it could be done.
    Last edited by dubdryver; 04-23-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions.

In this scenario I would have a spoke wrench in my tool bag. How often does a wheel truly get tacoed backroad touring?
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 04-23-2013 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 5 mm difference between a 68mm road bb and a 73mm mtb bb shell is already handled with spacers, no need to increase the size of the bb shell. When I installed my Deore crankset on my LHT with 68mm bb shell a spacer is added to effectively give the same width as a 73mm mtb.

Trail Junkie
    This is correct, but from a tire clearance perspective, the 73mm wide BB will give you slightly more tire clearance because the chainstays can be welded further apart. This is a separate issue from chainring clearance which is more of a design issue in regards to chainline due to tolerances becoming smaller.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast