Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    powered by peanut butter.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

Lately I've fallen in love with riding my cross bike (a more or less standard issue Cross-Check) on my local mountain bike trails, and I know there are many others on here who also take their cross rigs on singletrack adventures. So let's see your photos!

Now, it's my hope that this thread won't have too much discussion about whether or not cross bikes are better than mountain bikes for trail riding. That's been beat to death already. Let's just say that it's a different experience. Are your everyday trails getting too bland for you? Try riding them with 32mm tires, no suspension, and drop bars. Riding a cross bike on singletrack will make you a better rider, I think. You have to pay attention to line choice and ride with as much finesse as you can muster. And bros on full squish bikes give you looks like this -- -- that are just precious.

Also, letís please keep the ďthatís not a cross bikeĒ banter to a minimum. Iím hoping to mainly see (relatively) skinny tires, canti brakes, drop bars, and so on, but debating the semantics of whether a particular bike is actually a cross bike or a monster cross bike or a drop bar 29er with skinny tires is boring. Anyone caught doing so will be ridiculed thusly.

Posed pics are good. Action shots will receive a hearty slap on the back.

Here are a couple to start things off:

mah beloved bike:

a lil rock ride:

a lil log:

Aight, whatchu got?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mikeb
    yes, it's a cheap cross bike...but it's bad ass...mt tam, kirby cove, the 42's i was running for a while and a view from the bars on the many trails in golden gate park. alas, the frame is broken and i am waiting for word from the shop...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-2329741827_e3e0bb48ff_o.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-3410030702_8a765600a3_b.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-3446190951_3e75965b1d_b.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-dscf2920.jpg  

Nice!

Sorry to hear your frame broke. Another fallen soldier... Good luck getting another one - any hope for a warranty replacement?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

tg
    mtbr member

My La Cruz loves dirt

Its 15 years old but still rolls the ST pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1345.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1356.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1347.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1348.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1343.jpg  

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1354.jpg  

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Nice!

Sorry to hear your frame broke. Another fallen soldier... Good luck getting another one - any hope for a warranty replacement?
    waiting for word from performance who is waiting for word from schwinn or whatever conglomerate owns the schwinn name nowadays...good thing i wash my bikes every once and a while or i might not have noticed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-272653_10150256293091185_709041184_7540375_4894168_o.jpg  

mikeb
    ahhh, the feel of steel...what i would GIVE to have a nice steel cross frame!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This makes me super excited about my Cross Check getting here this weekend!!!!!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

photo credit: Skyline35
    Last edited by CHUM; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

tg - nice bike, and that trail doesn't look too shabby either. Bet that sage smells sweet.

pointer - I think you'll like the CC. It's not the most exotic bike ever, but it's a solid, versatile workhorse of a bike. Puts a smile on my face, at any rate.

chum - way to get rad. That's a great shot. A hearty slap on the back for you, good sir!

mtbr member
    Agreed, cross bikes are great fun on trails. It certainly makes you appreciate fat tires and suspension.

tg
    mtbr member

One more shot of my LaCruz

The best shot I think. Kinda hard to find a Salsa made in the USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-100_1126.jpg  

ianick - I'm diggint that set up, man. It's a randonneur, it's a cross bike. It's a... randonnecross? Crossandonneur? It's rad.

tg - That certainly gives you some bragging rights. Glad it's treated you so well for so long. Which Ritchy tire is that? I'm digging the looks of those sideknobs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    heartland and ianick both have good taste in saddles.

mtbr member
    i've considered turning my road bike into a cross bike, but can you do that?