Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

257K views 606 replies 266 participants last post by  BurkC 
#1 ·
Lately I've fallen in love with riding my cross bike (a more or less standard issue Cross-Check) on my local mountain bike trails, and I know there are many others on here who also take their cross rigs on singletrack adventures. So let's see your photos!

Now, it's my hope that this thread won't have too much discussion about whether or not cross bikes are better than mountain bikes for trail riding. That's been beat to death already. Let's just say that it's a different experience. Are your everyday trails getting too bland for you? Try riding them with 32mm tires, no suspension, and drop bars. Riding a cross bike on singletrack will make you a better rider, I think. You have to pay attention to line choice and ride with as much finesse as you can muster. And bros on full squish bikes give you looks like this -- :eek: -- that are just precious.

Also, let's please keep the "that's not a cross bike" banter to a minimum. I'm hoping to mainly see (relatively) skinny tires, canti brakes, drop bars, and so on, but debating the semantics of whether a particular bike is actually a cross bike or a monster cross bike or a drop bar 29er with skinny tires is boring. Anyone caught doing so will be ridiculed thusly.

Posed pics are good. Action shots will receive a hearty slap on the back.

Here are a couple to start things off:

mah beloved bike:

a lil rock ride:

a lil log:

Aight, whatchu got?

See less See more
#32 ·
My cross bike before and after powdercoat, I ride this bike the most as I can ride it from the house to the trail. Single Speed 39x18, super fast rips up single track.
Surly cross check frame size 56
King hubs/headset
Salsa delgado cross wheels
salsa woodchipper bars
panaracer firecross front 45cc
wtb allterain rear 38cc
thomson stem and post
silverado seat

#17 ·
A thread after my own heart! Singletrack on a cyclocross bike is a blast. i like the idea of finding the limits of a given bike. Depending on the day, when i find it's limit, i either shoulder the bike and hike through a technical part, or i take a little spill!

Attachments

#82 ·
I can easily keep up with my buddy on his brand new Specialized Epic. I'm on a stock Surly CrossCheck with the exception of FireCross tires and I weigh in at 250lbs. Nothing breaks, nothing gets tweaked. It's all about the line and your ability to flow. I have way more fun on this bike on the singletrack than my mountain bike. It's not the bike that makes things happen, it's the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.