1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1050222

Trying out woodchippers on the Nature Boy
  • 02-15-2016
    EddieSmirckx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edved37 View Post

Trying out woodchippers on the Nature Boy

I have a Soma Junebug bar on my bike, with a similar bend. Looks pretty weird, but I love 'em. Lots of good hand positions and lots of wrist clearance in the drops. I'm surprised that they're not more popular.
  • 02-21-2016
    EddieSmirckx
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1051570

LA Mountain, Los Alamos NM, Feb 21st 2016. Warm enough to wear shorts...
  • 02-23-2016
    Arctic Pride

well, technically the line is single track ;)
  • 02-23-2016
    Alias530
    1 Attachment(s)
    As part of an 85 mile singletrack/gravel loop

Attachment 1052167
  • 02-24-2016
    mainedisco
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-24-2016
    mainedisco
    Attachment 1052263
    Kittery, Maine Town Forest.
  • 02-28-2016
    wheeljack
    Not a picture, but a video edit of a ride through Bulow Creek in Ormond Beach, FL.

https://youtu.be/MU2eITHvWOw
  • 03-08-2016
    bicyclefarmer
    1 Attachment(s)
    so cal singletrack
    sullivan canyon, santa monica.
  • 03-10-2016
    Welnic
    1 Attachment(s)
    Before I had a cross bike I used a touring bike instead. Before the touring bike I used my road bike. I still sometimes do.

Attachment 1055983
  • 03-30-2016
    big_shmoop
    I LOVE these new 40mm Maxxis Ramblers...top notch.

I just noticed you can't see the actual single track in either photo...ha.
  • 03-31-2016
    Drider85
    1 Attachment(s)
    Most rides it's hard to avoid hitting some singletrack.
    Attachment 1060817

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 03-31-2016
    1x1clyde

Trail was in great shape and the bike isn't too bad either :)

Sent from a over priced hand held device
  • 03-31-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    ^ what bars are those?
  • 03-31-2016
    1x1clyde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ what bars are those?

Thanks for asking those are the Salsa Cowchipper.
    Perfect bar in my opinion for how I ride it...road, gravel and singletrack!
  • 03-31-2016
    newfangled
    That's the nicest picture of the cowchipper I've seen. Other pictures don't make it look very flared, but that really shows off the effect on the levers.
  • 03-31-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    thanks, you really jammed a big tire in that fork! there doesn't look like there's much clearance.

i just finished building up a SSCX and I want to try a flared bar before i put tape on my current bars which are Cowbell 3's. the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.

I am just not sure what would be best for standing climbs and high torque on the bars that comes with SS? if i set it up with the proper stem i can use the drops for technical single track, just not sure i will like the angled hand placement?
  • 03-31-2016
    1x1clyde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That's the nicest picture of the cowchipper I've seen. Other pictures don't make it look very flared, but that really shows off the effect on the levers.

When I get home I'll take a pic from the rider position. That really shows the flare and I have it set up for out of the saddle climbing and but low enough for one finger braking in the drops. Really like the bar, took a fancy carbon bar off for it :)
  • 03-31-2016
    mack_turtle
    Quote:

the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.

My experience with a lot of dirt drop bars is that you can't set them up so that you can actually use the hoods. I have tried Midges and Gary II. Most dirt drop bars will require a stuper tall stem or a very flexible rider. I don't know where Cowchippers fit on that spectrum but I am loving my Cowbells for the variety of hand positions.
  • 03-31-2016
    newfangled
    It depends what the goal is.

I find you have to decide what your primary position is (hoods or drops), and then if you're lucky you might be able to use the other one as a backup.

On my fixie I've got a midge that I ride in the hoods position, and I honestly think it's the comfiest setup ever. But I can still use the drops as a secondary position - for control on descents, or on long flat sections - but I can't spend forever down there.

(not technically a crossbike, but it sortof looks the part)

And I've got a true "dirtdrop" mtb with the newer Gary Sweep bar set way higher. There I'm in the drops almost all the time, but the hoods give a bit of a stretched out position for boring sections.

There's definitely compromises, but they can give you some options.
  • 04-01-2016
    1x1clyde
    Quote:

thanks, you really jammed a big tire in that fork! there doesn't look like there's much clearance.

i just finished building up a SSCX and I want to try a flared bar before i put tape on my current bars which are Cowbell 3's. the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.

I am just not sure what would be best for standing climbs and high torque on the bars that comes with SS? if i set it up with the proper stem i can use the drops for technical single track, just not sure i will like the angled hand placement?

That front tire is a life saver on loose and fast singletrack, 700x47 I believe.
    Here's a pic of the bar/hood set up

• 04-01-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    that's an excellent angle on those bars. it looks so different, pretty close to what i'm looking for. thanks!
  • 04-12-2016
    1x1clyde
    Fun on some singletrack today:)

https://vimeo.com/162593753

Sent from a over priced hand held device
  • 04-16-2016
    jmctav23
    1 Attachment(s)
    Got a little ambitious on the Fisticuff and hit some Moto shredded single track on the way to work...1x1clyde what front tire is that? I'm looking for a 700xmid 40s tire for the front and rear.

Attachment 1064299
  • 04-16-2016
    mack_turtle
    I have my sights set on some Panaracer GravelKing SKs. 40-43mm inflated, tubeless-ready, not terribly expensive.

my next choice would be WTB Nano 40mm TCS tires.
  • 04-16-2016
    jmctav23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have my sights set on some Panaracer GravelKing SKs. 40-43mm inflated, tubeless-ready, not terribly expensive.

my next choice would be WTB Nano 40mm TCS tires.

Actually ran a Nano 2.1 on the front of the fisticuff for a few days but I wanted something a bit faster so I threw on a richey speedmax 40c that's on closeout on Jenson for 20 bucks right now. Really want something in the 45-48 range for days when I want to hit single track that always involves a little chunk here in AZ but rolls fast enough on gravel. Price point has some stupidly cheap Vee rubber 29x1.9s that I'll try next. I'm a cheap guy when it comes to tires and for 7 bucks and under 500 grams with a fast rolling tread I'm sold. That fat back tire is a Vee Rubber V10 in 2.10 (they size REALLY small which is why I might like the 1.9) that I got for 12 bucks and it's light and fast enough to do the trick. My rides usually mix in a good amount of pavement so burning up expensive knobbies ain't my thing, in fact I can't recall paying more than 20 for a tire since I started this madness five years ago.
  • 04-16-2016
    mack_turtle
    How big are those Vee Rubber tires actually? I think I have room for 45s.
  • 04-16-2016
    1x1clyde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    1x1clyde what front tire is that? I'm looking for a 700xmid 40s tire for the front and rear.

Attachment 1064299

Thanks for asking on the front tire....it's a lifesaver for this setup:)
    Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45 set up tubeless.
    Love this tire, wish it fit in the rear but the Soma Cazedora 700x42 is working well too!
  • 05-13-2016
    jmctav23
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

How big are those Vee Rubber tires actually? I think I have room for 45s.

sorry it took so long but I finally mounted the Vee Rubber V10 up front and got a new V7 for 7 bucks from price point on the back. They both measure just a touch over 1.75 inches at around 40 psi. Makes for a much nicer ride on the rough dirt roads. I might have to stock up on these as the performance and weight for under ten bucks is a steal.

Attachment 1070071
  • 05-30-2016
    KiwiJohn
    Some sweet new single track. Slick 32's coped well.
  • 06-06-2016
    Bikin' Bric
    Little bit of heavyweight CX action over the weekend.

• 06-07-2016
    wheeljack
    Not a photo, but a 3 minute video edit of one of the trails in Dupont State Forest in NC from this weekend:

https://youtu.be/tMcug3YzJzU

What I love most about my 'cross bike is that I did 20 trail miles in Dupont on Saturday, switched wheelsets, and did a century road ride on Sunday.

J.
  • 06-07-2016
    bedwards1000
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    What I love most about my 'cross bike is that I did 20 trail miles in Dupont on Saturday, switched wheelsets, and did a century road ride on Sunday.

Yeah, I did 30+ miles of hill work on the road and then turned into the local trail system for a few miles of trails. I wouldn't want to beat on my road bike like that.Attachment 1074865 Not quite singletrack but close enough.
  • 06-07-2016
    mack_turtle
    At what point does a cx bike become a drop bar mountain bike? Thinking about putting 1.9s on my cx bike but it seems like that makes it into too close to a mountain bike. I already have a mountain bike so i don't want to be redundant. Why go bigger when 35s do the job? Why choose 35s over 1.9s or 1.9s over 35s?
  • 06-07-2016
    jmctav23
    Quote:

At what point does a cx bike become a drop bar mountain bike? Thinking about putting 1.9s on my cx bike but it seems like that makes it into too close to a mountain bike. I already have a mountain bike so i don't want to be redundant. Why go bigger when 35s do the job? Why choose 35s over 1.9s or 1.9s over 35s?

For me it really depends on the terrain and what you want to ride your cross bike on. I've found fast rolling 1.9s to be more comfortable and faster on dirt than 35cs, they also allow me to more comfortably include rocky forest roads that are not graded or maintained into my routes. Throw single track into the mix and they are a no brainer. If my rides were more of a mix of well maintained gravel and paved roads I would stick to 35s for lighter weight and faster rolling on pavement. Horses for courses.
  • 06-07-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    ^ yup. My cross bike sees more offroad time than pavement so the tires reflect that. 35r/40f knobbies on 27mm MTB rims. i hit singletrack, greenway, and pavement only when i have to. I also plan to use this setup for cross racing, so that prevents me from going to a bigger/more aggressive tire.

if i needed to i would keep a second wheelset with road slicks, which i may do soon for charity road rides and the occasional ride with family or something.

cross, gravel, monster cross, drop bar MTB, they're all capable of blurring lines and all versatile.
  • 06-07-2016
    Bikin' Bric
    Quote:

I run 42c (approx. 1.6") tires for a little bit more offroad traction and cushion on nasty terrain. Its still quick enough on pavement for me. Its like a dual sport bike, does everything good but nothing great. The 42c tires are skinny enough for me as my mountain bikes have 4.0" and 3.0" tires.
  • 06-07-2016
    mack_turtle
    I think 42mm would be a nice compromise. 1.9 would be excessive for the kinds of trails I ride my CX bike. I like taking the CX bikes on long road rides with gravel/singletrack mixed in. if I want to ride gnarly trails, I will ride my mountain bike.

on that note, here's some rad 29x1.9 tires for ridiculously cheap! Vee Rubber Vee 7 29x1.9 Dual Compound Folding Tire
  • 06-07-2016
    jmctav23
    hey mack don't tell everybody...I'm stocking up on those for my fisticuff. Got one on the rear already and its fantastic.
  • 06-07-2016
    mack_turtle
    The cat's out of the bag now!
  • 06-09-2016
    ascarlarkinyar
    Quote:

I think 42mm would be a nice compromise. 1.9 would be excessive for the kinds of trails I ride my CX bike. I like taking the CX bikes on long road rides with gravel/singletrack mixed in. if I want to ride gnarly trails, I will ride my mountain bike.

on that note, here's some rad 29x1.9 tires for ridiculously cheap! Vee Rubber Vee 7 29x1.9 Dual Compound Folding Tire

Just ordered 6 of these for 23.00 shipped. Thx for the link!
  • 06-10-2016
    jmctav23
    Chainreactioncycles is also blowing out the smaller Vee Rubber tires...prices not quite as ridiculously low but more options
  • 06-10-2016
    A1an
    1 Attachment(s)
    Meanwhile in Florida:
    Attachment 1075600
  • 06-10-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    awesome, did you bunny hop him?
  • 06-13-2016
    A1an
    Yes...he even gave me kudos on Strava.
  • 06-13-2016
    detroitguy1
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 06-13-2016
    adarn
    1 Attachment(s)
    My new bike is wicked fun on singletrack. Here are some photos.

and not mine, but a cool pic i took: Attachment 1076152
  • 06-15-2016
    Ross1200
    Well it was much more slidey than I had anticipated. Maybe 33c tyres arn't the best choice for pebbley mtb singletrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 06-16-2016
    jmctav23
    looks like you have room to go bigger...WTB Nanos come in a 40c
  • 06-16-2016
    Ross1200
    Yea. Still have loads of space. Was thinking about some surly Knards. They do 41c I think.

• 06-17-2016
    jmctav23
    They seem really heavy for a 41c...
  • 06-17-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    They seem really heavy for a 41c...

Surly products across the board have never been about light weight. if your looking for a grippy, durable tire at and a good value then the 41c Knard is an excellent tire. if your looking for weight weenie tires look elsewhere.
  • 06-17-2016
    Ross1200
    Quote:

Surly products across the board have never been about light weight. if your looking for a grippy, durable tire at and a good value then the 41c Knard is an excellent tire. if your looking for weight weenie tires look elsewhere.

Well I'm 6'3" and heavy so I'm less concerned about weight.

• 06-19-2016
    msedbaue
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 06-28-2016
    jonnyp60
    2 Attachment(s)
    Some northern Utah single track.
    Shake down for the new 1x11 drive-train
    Attachment 1079002Attachment 1079005
  • 06-28-2016
    Nubster
    2 Attachment(s)
    Not exactly single track but a little more wild than a gravel road....

Attachment 1079034

Attachment 1079035
  • 06-28-2016
    Ross1200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Not exactly single track but a little more wild than a gravel road....

Attachment 1079034

Attachment 1079035

Are those clement mxp tires?

• 06-28-2016
    Nubster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1200 View Post
    Are those clement mxp tires?

Close. They are the Clement X'Plor USH 35c.
  • 06-28-2016
    Ross1200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Close. They are the Clement X'Plor USH 35c.

Ah ok. I've just got the mxp tires and find them very slippery on singletrack. Not super grippy. How are the x'plor?

• 06-28-2016
    Nubster
    So far good. I haven't had them on actual single track yet but they perform well on gravel and dirt and not too bad on pavement. I've had them in just some minor mud but not enough to form an opinion. I'm hoping to try some single track on the bike soon.
  • 07-02-2016
    Drider85

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 07-03-2016
    KiwiJohn
    Underbiking the Tasmanian wilderness

Not exactly singletrack, but I don't think anyone has driven there in a long, long time.
  • 07-05-2016
    dfrink
    From my front door. This bike is really becoming competition for the trail bike!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • 07-08-2016
    29erhoops
    3 Attachment(s)
    Mountain Bike Parks and Trails - New Zealand
    I regularly hit various mountain bike parks/trails in New Zealand on my two Cruxes, mountain bikers will have a double take sometimes - usually with a smile :)

Attachment 1080979
    Eskdale Mountain Bike Park, Hawkes Bay, NZ

Attachment 1080980
    Whakawerawera Mountain Bike Park, Rotorua, NZ

Attachment 1080981
    Alps to Ocean Trail, Mt Cook, NZ
  • 07-20-2016
    Ferocactus
    1 Attachment(s)
    Today´s bicycle trip with my son. Nice forest in Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic.Attachment 1083192
  • 07-23-2016
    chazpat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sope Creek, Marietta, GA

Picked up this Lemond to use for a commuter, which involves cutting through a National Recreation Area via the Sope Creek Trail. I'd done the top loop several times but today was the first time I did the lower loop.

Attachment 1083801
  • 08-18-2016
    syphen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1088851
    '16 tcx slr 2

I certainly was timid. First time taking it through proper single track. I normally run a Giant Trance or Talon through the same area. I just went a little slow through some heavy rock gardens and walked down one of the vicious downs. Was fun, and climbed better then I thought the 36-28 gear ratio would.
  • 08-24-2016
    Bobmouse

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk
  • 08-27-2016
    team ti
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1090406
    2016 Ridley X-Night on the Bridal Path via Riverside trail. Mt Seymour. Knocked the front wheel out of true slightly but didn't burp or otherwise come undone. Continued up to Penny Lane and Good Sir Martin singletrack climbing trail.
  • 08-27-2016
    jcd46
    First adventure into ST but this was easy no elevation and some pavement involved. Drop bars are a different story👍

• 08-29-2016
    50voltphantom
  • 09-03-2016
    kafreeman
    Bike I just built up with hydraulic mech ultegra. Rolling around on rail trail in NH.

• 09-04-2016
    Psycho1
  • 09-13-2016
    The Gen
    9 Attachment(s)
    Some shots of my ARC-X on different rides in Spain...
  • 09-13-2016
    *OneSpeed*
    ^ nice shots :thumbsup:
  • 09-19-2016
    taidaho
    1 Attachment(s)
    This thread helped inspire me to buy a cross bike. Thanks for all the stoke!

Here's a pic of my first ride, in Fort Dupont Park in Washington, DC:

Attachment 1095325
  • 04-03-2017
    garythesnailz
    3 Attachment(s)
  • 04-03-2017
    EBG 18T
    1 Attachment(s)
    'Da Grinder loves the trail.

Attachment 1129966
  • 04-04-2017
    rob1035
    1 Attachment(s)
    cross posting from the Boone/Crockett thread...Attachment 1130023
  • 04-12-2017
    EddieSmirckx
    2 Attachment(s)
    Dawn Patrol on Kwage Mesa, Los Alamos, NM. Putting test miles on the newest GravityWorx hub prototype...
    Attachment 1131390Attachment 1131391
  • 04-16-2017
    alan_g
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1132034

my recently stolen pinnacle arkose
  • 04-23-2017
    EBG 18T
    Exploring the path less travelled:
  • 04-23-2017
    EBG 18T
    2 Attachment(s)
    Exploring the path less travelled:

Attachment 1133436

Attachment 1133437
  • 04-24-2017
    taidaho
    2 Attachment(s)
    A few more from a fall and winter of riding the local DC trails:

Attachment 1133570

Attachment 1133571
  • 04-24-2017
    Psycho1
  • 04-25-2017
    wjphillips
    Lake Hodges. Luckily it's not that wet anymore. It sandy and dry now...
  • 05-11-2017
    iibbmm
    2 Attachment(s)
    Raced my Stuntman at the local mountain bike race series, Over the Hump, this week.
    Always fun to race against a bunch of people on Scalpels and Epics. I ride single track on it all over SoCal, though. With 2.1" Racing Ralphs set up tubeless, it can go pretty much anywhere.

Attachment 1136735Attachment 1136736
  • 05-11-2017
    Smithhammer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iibbmm View Post
    Raced my Stuntman at the local mountain bike race series, Over the Hump, this week.
    Always fun to race against a bunch of people on Scalpels and Epics. I ride single track on it all over SoCal, though. With 2.1" Racing Ralphs set up tubeless, it can go pretty much anywhere.

Attachment 1136735Attachment 1136736

Nice. There are a lot of things I like about the Stuntman. :thumbsup:
  • 05-11-2017
    hamsterspam
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-11-2017
    zephxiii
    Mine in Indiana.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk