Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Hey, yep I've been all over the show on it when I ran it fixed - conviction/Jailbrake, Mt Vic, Barking Emu, and North Face -> Swigg/starfish at Makara. Bear in mind a decent 'cross machine would be far more capable than a fashion bike/fixie with big tyres - do it! :-)
    Noice. Just don't want to give the ability to do the occasional Makara loop :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sorry I don't have a photo to share, I'll take one next time I bring my phone. A question though - I just started taking my Norco ccx out on some double/single track (loads of fun). The bike has Avid BB7 and they've done well. When thinking of my next gravel grinder bike, which I also want to use on these same trails occasionally, I'm not sure if going Canti's instead of disks is fine. I have no exp with Canti's. I find the disks work well on very steep, dirt descents where there are some roots I have to navigate; would Canti's offer the same stopping power? I'm also looking for brakes that don't require constant adjusting (avid's did in the beginning but now they're ok). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I decided to use the cross bike on a pretty technical single track at "The Wiss" in Philadelphia yesterday. I set aside one portion of the trail as a guaranteed walk. It is a series of steps created by large rock slabs, the highest one being close to 3ft tall, and they are spaced apart by roughly 3-5 feet. It is quite the rush to jump down them on the MTB bike, and very difficult for me to climb on the way up on the MTB, and wasn't comfortable coming down them on the cross bike my first time, although I did do some of the smaller ones. I didn't have to walk any other portion of the trail though which I was happy about. I almost wiped out once when my back tire slipped in a spot my MTB never would, but I was able to save it and was just another lesson about just how carefully you have to pick your lines on the cross bike when doing techy stuff.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-imag0764.jpgCross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-imag0765.jpg

The prize waiting at the end was spending some time with my 3 girls on a nice little beach like area of the Wissahickon Creek!

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-imag0771.jpgCross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-imag0774.jpgCross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-imag0777.jpg

Thanks for reading! I hope to keep trying out new single track with the cross bike and having more pics to post. The main factor deterring that is just how technical most of the "The Wiss" trails are, especially at the side that I am close to (it is a very long trail system). There aren't any beginner friendly trails near us so have to be really ready when taking the cross bike out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcyclist View Post
    Sorry I don't have a photo to share, I'll take one next time I bring my phone. A question though - I just started taking my Norco ccx out on some double/single track (loads of fun). The bike has Avid BB7 and they've done well. When thinking of my next gravel grinder bike, which I also want to use on these same trails occasionally, I'm not sure if going Canti's instead of disks is fine. I have no exp with Canti's. I find the disks work well on very steep, dirt descents where there are some roots I have to navigate; would Canti's offer the same stopping power? I'm also looking for brakes that don't require constant adjusting (avid's did in the beginning but now they're ok). Thanks!
    I've found the Cantis to be plenty on any road and gravel grinding I've done, but definitely left something to be desired when doing technical downhill stuff It is manageable, just nothing like the disc break stopping power on my MTB. I just have to grip the levers stronger than usual to achieve remotely adequate stopping power. If you think the discs do a good job, go with them again IMO.

SS in CO
    from my ride on Friday afternoon:

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    This is not my video, but I've posted it here on mtbr before. It's well worth watching - this guy is a certified badass.

Local trails ala cx from Andy Wardman on Vimeo.

This makes me want a cross!

mtbr member
    So many awesome post! Thanks!

Goes to 11

Two from Israel's cliffs along the beach

yes, it's on my way to work.. sort of..

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-2013-05-14-09.28.57.jpg
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-2013-05-14-09.24.22.jpg
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great photos! I hope to post some of my own soon. My new cross bike is supposed to arrive at the LBS today!!

mtbr member

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

[QUOTE=TheNewOriginal;10399295]yes, it's on my way to work.. sort of..

I need to figure out how to make that sort of on MY way to work! I mean, my commute isn't horrible. It's pretty great, but wow. You've got a view there.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    This makes me want a cross!
    Thanks!
    I hadn't watched that for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewOriginal View Post
    yes, it's on my way to work.. sort of..
    A shortcut?
    Mediterranean? I recall the weather can get pretty warm there.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fixed

Name:  IMG_20130319_150739.jpg
Views: 2051
Size:  85.3 KB
    cleared it
    why do drops/hills/climbs/rocks/logs/anything fun look tiny in pictures and huge in person?

enjoying the scenery
    Dropping down the Diablo Ranch Trail
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Jamis Nova Steel

Sherman's branch close to Charlotte, NC.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-945218_10201158970364304_62001604_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    One of the best threads on MTBR...

...and a chance to ride another type of bike is always a super event for me, but mine isn't a new fangled ride. A Raleigh Road frameset I got from a friends shop and to tell ya the truth I don't even know what year/model it is, but I can tell ya it's a true road bike that I rigged up single speed with old stuff laying around the shop makes it so sweet! In the process of up coming paint job, so I hope ya don't mind the naked looks of it.

I don't question it, ask too much from it. or lean on it hard. I just ride it expecting nothing but fun!
    I love this! I have an old 70's (?) Schwinn that I am doing the same with. I really dig your set up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Jamis Nova at Sherman's Branch

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-rockcross.jpgAttachment 805673Will take some better photos next ride.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-988647_10201383625460541_1260953074_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We brought our cross bikes to Kingdom Trails and had a blast! Here's me on Kitchel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-jen-kitchel-crux.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's nothing special compared to most of the whizbang rides but I'm having way too much fun with it. Can't believe the fork hasn't given up under my weight. This was from this morning.

SS in CO
    here's a couple from my ride last night. trying to break in the new Brooks...

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wrong way up.... Again

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-2013-06-23_09-47-32.jpg

mtbr member
    This was taken after the singletrack, at the wiss. Part of a 60 some mile mixed terrain ride

Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That was impressive, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of old school MTB'in, rigid in the early 90's...........except faster

Nice technique , nice to see a quick dismount "bike and hike" again.

BTW- nice avatar ..........

Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    This is not my video, but I've posted it here on mtbr before. It's well worth watching - this guy is a certified badass.

Local trails ala cx from Andy Wardman on Vimeo.

Fat & Single

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

hispanic mechanic

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

Here's the new ride for the season. Rides surprisingly well on singletrack, I thought it would feel significantly harsher than my Nature Boy Zona, but it doesn't.

Los

"Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast