Trying out woodchippers on the Nature Boy
    Blackborow
    Titanium Warbird
    Nature Boy Disc
    Jones Diamond Frame/truss fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post

Trying out woodchippers on the Nature Boy
    I have a Soma Junebug bar on my bike, with a similar bend. Looks pretty weird, but I love 'em. Lots of good hand positions and lots of wrist clearance in the drops. I'm surprised that they're not more popular.

mtbr member
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-img_20160221_145457260.jpg

LA Mountain, Los Alamos NM, Feb 21st 2016. Warm enough to wear shorts...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

well, technically the line is single track

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    As part of an 85 mile singletrack/gravel loop

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-untitled.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-red-ridley-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red ridley 5.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1052263
    Kittery, Maine Town Forest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not a picture, but a video edit of a ride through Bulow Creek in Ormond Beach, FL.

https://youtu.be/MU2eITHvWOw

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

so cal singletrack

sullivan canyon, santa monica.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-img_0245.jpg  

mtbr member
    Before I had a cross bike I used a touring bike instead. Before the touring bike I used my road bike. I still sometimes do.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-davidsonloscarneros.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I LOVE these new 40mm Maxxis Ramblers...top notch.

I just noticed you can't see the actual single track in either photo...ha.
    Giant Defy Composite - Road
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt
    Giant TCX Advanced Pro - Both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Most rides it's hard to avoid hitting some singletrack.
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-uploadfromtaptalk1459429824958.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

American Made!

Trail was in great shape and the bike isn't too bad either

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    What is thy bidding, my master.

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ what bars are those?
    Wanted: XL Steel single speed 29er frame. please PM with info.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ what bars are those?
    Thanks for asking those are the Salsa Cowchipper.
    Perfect bar in my opinion for how I ride it...road, gravel and singletrack!

mtbr member
    That's the nicest picture of the cowchipper I've seen. Other pictures don't make it look very flared, but that really shows off the effect on the levers.

wanna ride bikes?
    thanks, you really jammed a big tire in that fork! there doesn't look like there's much clearance.

i just finished building up a SSCX and I want to try a flared bar before i put tape on my current bars which are Cowbell 3's. the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.

I am just not sure what would be best for standing climbs and high torque on the bars that comes with SS? if i set it up with the proper stem i can use the drops for technical single track, just not sure i will like the angled hand placement?

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That's the nicest picture of the cowchipper I've seen. Other pictures don't make it look very flared, but that really shows off the effect on the levers.
    When I get home I'll take a pic from the rider position. That really shows the flare and I have it set up for out of the saddle climbing and but low enough for one finger braking in the drops. Really like the bar, took a fancy carbon bar off for it

mtbr member
    the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.
    My experience with a lot of dirt drop bars is that you can't set them up so that you can actually use the hoods. I have tried Midges and Gary II. Most dirt drop bars will require a stuper tall stem or a very flexible rider. I don't know where Cowchippers fit on that spectrum but I am loving my Cowbells for the variety of hand positions.

mtbr member
    It depends what the goal is.

I find you have to decide what your primary position is (hoods or drops), and then if you're lucky you might be able to use the other one as a backup.

On my fixie I've got a midge that I ride in the hoods position, and I honestly think it's the comfiest setup ever. But I can still use the drops as a secondary position - for control on descents, or on long flat sections - but I can't spend forever down there.

(not technically a crossbike, but it sortof looks the part)

And I've got a true "dirtdrop" mtb with the newer Gary Sweep bar set way higher. There I'm in the drops almost all the time, but the hoods give a bit of a stretched out position for boring sections.

There's definitely compromises, but they can give you some options.

American Made!
    thanks, you really jammed a big tire in that fork! there doesn't look like there's much clearance.

i just finished building up a SSCX and I want to try a flared bar before i put tape on my current bars which are Cowbell 3's. the Cowchippers are on my short list along with On-One Midge, Soma Junebug, and Origin8 Gary's. right now i'm thinking the Midge, Cowchipper is second.

I am just not sure what would be best for standing climbs and high torque on the bars that comes with SS? if i set it up with the proper stem i can use the drops for technical single track, just not sure i will like the angled hand placement?
    That front tire is a life saver on loose and fast singletrack, 700x47 I believe.
    Here's a pic of the bar/hood set up

wanna ride bikes?
    that's an excellent angle on those bars. it looks so different, pretty close to what i'm looking for. thanks!

American Made!
    Fun on some singletrack today

Sent from a over priced hand held device

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got a little ambitious on the Fisticuff and hit some Moto shredded single track on the way to work...1x1clyde what front tire is that? I'm looking for a 700xmid 40s tire for the front and rear.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-screen-shot-2016-04-16-9.08.25-am.jpg

mtbr member
    I have my sights set on some Panaracer GravelKing SKs. 40-43mm inflated, tubeless-ready, not terribly expensive.

my next choice would be WTB Nano 40mm TCS tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have my sights set on some Panaracer GravelKing SKs. 40-43mm inflated, tubeless-ready, not terribly expensive.

my next choice would be WTB Nano 40mm TCS tires.
    Actually ran a Nano 2.1 on the front of the fisticuff for a few days but I wanted something a bit faster so I threw on a richey speedmax 40c that's on closeout on Jenson for 20 bucks right now. Really want something in the 45-48 range for days when I want to hit single track that always involves a little chunk here in AZ but rolls fast enough on gravel. Price point has some stupidly cheap Vee rubber 29x1.9s that I'll try next. I'm a cheap guy when it comes to tires and for 7 bucks and under 500 grams with a fast rolling tread I'm sold. That fat back tire is a Vee Rubber V10 in 2.10 (they size REALLY small which is why I might like the 1.9) that I got for 12 bucks and it's light and fast enough to do the trick. My rides usually mix in a good amount of pavement so burning up expensive knobbies ain't my thing, in fact I can't recall paying more than 20 for a tire since I started this madness five years ago.

mtbr member
    How big are those Vee Rubber tires actually? I think I have room for 45s.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    1x1clyde what front tire is that? I'm looking for a 700xmid 40s tire for the front and rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 9.08.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	1064299
    Thanks for asking on the front tire....it's a lifesaver for this setup
    Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x45 set up tubeless.
    Love this tire, wish it fit in the rear but the Soma Cazedora 700x42 is working well too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How big are those Vee Rubber tires actually? I think I have room for 45s.
    sorry it took so long but I finally mounted the Vee Rubber V10 up front and got a new V7 for 7 bucks from price point on the back. They both measure just a touch over 1.75 inches at around 40 psi. Makes for a much nicer ride on the rough dirt roads. I might have to stock up on these as the performance and weight for under ten bucks is a steal.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-screen-shot-2016-05-13-11.44.59-am.jpg

26 for life.
    Some sweet new single track. Slick 32's coped well.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Little bit of heavyweight CX action over the weekend.

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not a photo, but a 3 minute video edit of one of the trails in Dupont State Forest in NC from this weekend:

https://youtu.be/tMcug3YzJzU

What I love most about my 'cross bike is that I did 20 trail miles in Dupont on Saturday, switched wheelsets, and did a century road ride on Sunday.

J.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    What I love most about my 'cross bike is that I did 20 trail miles in Dupont on Saturday, switched wheelsets, and did a century road ride on Sunday.
    Yeah, I did 30+ miles of hill work on the road and then turned into the local trail system for a few miles of trails. I wouldn't want to beat on my road bike like that.Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-20160607_073913%5B1%5D.jpg Not quite singletrack but close enough.

mtbr member
    At what point does a cx bike become a drop bar mountain bike? Thinking about putting 1.9s on my cx bike but it seems like that makes it into too close to a mountain bike. I already have a mountain bike so i don't want to be redundant. Why go bigger when 35s do the job? Why choose 35s over 1.9s or 1.9s over 35s?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    At what point does a cx bike become a drop bar mountain bike? Thinking about putting 1.9s on my cx bike but it seems like that makes it into too close to a mountain bike. I already have a mountain bike so i don't want to be redundant. Why go bigger when 35s do the job? Why choose 35s over 1.9s or 1.9s over 35s?
    For me it really depends on the terrain and what you want to ride your cross bike on. I've found fast rolling 1.9s to be more comfortable and faster on dirt than 35cs, they also allow me to more comfortably include rocky forest roads that are not graded or maintained into my routes. Throw single track into the mix and they are a no brainer. If my rides were more of a mix of well maintained gravel and paved roads I would stick to 35s for lighter weight and faster rolling on pavement. Horses for courses.

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ yup. My cross bike sees more offroad time than pavement so the tires reflect that. 35r/40f knobbies on 27mm MTB rims. i hit singletrack, greenway, and pavement only when i have to. I also plan to use this setup for cross racing, so that prevents me from going to a bigger/more aggressive tire.

if i needed to i would keep a second wheelset with road slicks, which i may do soon for charity road rides and the occasional ride with family or something.

cross, gravel, monster cross, drop bar MTB, they're all capable of blurring lines and all versatile.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I run 42c (approx. 1.6") tires for a little bit more offroad traction and cushion on nasty terrain. Its still quick enough on pavement for me. Its like a dual sport bike, does everything good but nothing great. The 42c tires are skinny enough for me as my mountain bikes have 4.0" and 3.0" tires.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    I think 42mm would be a nice compromise. 1.9 would be excessive for the kinds of trails I ride my CX bike. I like taking the CX bikes on long road rides with gravel/singletrack mixed in. if I want to ride gnarly trails, I will ride my mountain bike.

on that note, here's some rad 29x1.9 tires for ridiculously cheap! Vee Rubber Vee 7 29x1.9 Dual Compound Folding Tire

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    hey mack don't tell everybody...I'm stocking up on those for my fisticuff. Got one on the rear already and its fantastic.

mtbr member
    The cat's out of the bag now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think 42mm would be a nice compromise. 1.9 would be excessive for the kinds of trails I ride my CX bike. I like taking the CX bikes on long road rides with gravel/singletrack mixed in. if I want to ride gnarly trails, I will ride my mountain bike.

on that note, here's some rad 29x1.9 tires for ridiculously cheap! Vee Rubber Vee 7 29x1.9 Dual Compound Folding Tire

Just ordered 6 of these for 23.00 shipped. Thx for the link!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Chainreactioncycles is also blowing out the smaller Vee Rubber tires...prices not quite as ridiculously low but more options

mtbr member
    Meanwhile in Florida:
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-gator_zpst0xavxjd.jpg
    Signature

wanna ride bikes?
    awesome, did you bunny hop him?

mtbr member
    Yes...he even gave me kudos on Strava.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-20160611_184259.jpg

mtbr member
    My new bike is wicked fun on singletrack. Here are some photos.

and not mine, but a cool pic i took: Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-13109107_579595858866514_145937153_n.jpg
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well it was much more slidey than I had anticipated. Maybe 33c tyres arn't the best choice for pebbley mtb singletrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast