Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Name:  IMG_0337.JPG
Views: 2019
Size:  63.5 KB

and another from same area , id be faster on a mtn bike but it sure is fun !

mtbr member
    Attachment 998584

One from yesterdays ride, I'm lucky to have this right outside my yard. Great when it's dry but with all the rain lately it'll be August before it's rideable again...clay

Back to the title, I totally agree- the cross bike has become the do it all for me too. Love it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-img_0340-fix.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LJintheUK View Post
    The bike industry is banging on about + size wheels, so here's me playing out on my 29- on our regular Wednesday evening ride. I'm not going to win any Oscars for editing but I hope you enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi6k...ature=youtu.be
    I actually got a kick out of watching your vid. Thanks for sharing! It inspires mme to get out and experience some different tracks on my CX bike. Mine gets the most miles, but my mountain bike gets the most variety in trails and locations visited.

mtbr member
    Saw a trail I hadn't noticed before on the cross commute. I made it over this log but then the trail turned into junk and I had to go back.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-elwoodlog.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Untitled by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Untitled by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr.

Finally got a new cross bike. Had to break her in today. This Thread Is Awesomesauce

These plus many more to come in the future will be HERE

Michigan Wolverine
    Not a photo, but alas it captures the spirit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post

Filmed in SF, CA
    Good to see the Roaring Mouse rep'n. I'm an ex mouse and will rock the old kit this week...sf representing in the east...for now

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    So smooth

mtbr member

Whoop!

mtbr member
    I rode the main trail/ Violet Crown Trail in Austin today on my Soma with 42mm Conti tires. much easier than I expected! slower-going than my hardtail, definitely had to walk some parts, but a CX bike is much more nimble over rocks and ledges than I expected:

if I really want to keep this going, I would get some tubeless tires (considering TCS versions of the 35mm Cross Boss or 40mm Nanos), replace the 34/48 rings with a single ring (38t maybe?) So I am less likely to smash the big ring on a rock) and replace my 11-32 cassette with a 11-36 or so. *edit-dang, new RD too.*

where do you draw the line between a commuter/road/cx bike and a rigid mountain bike? I feel like, if I go too far down that road of making a monstercross bike, I might as well just ride my mountain bike instead.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-03-2015 at 10:42 PM.

mtbr member
    I think you have to not go too far so that it is still different. I've always had tubeless tires on my cross bike, I just got them on my road bike where they work very well. You can run lower pressure for off road and I think it lowers rolling resistance on pavement, especially if you running at the same low pressure that you use for off road. I don't think that the benefits of a single ring up front are as big on a cross bike as a mountain bike.

I think that the biggest upgrade for riding off road is to use a dirt drop bar, like a Salsa Woodchipper. You give up a little versatility for the road since when properly set up riding on the hoods doesn't work as well, but it gives you more control and comfort in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hello,

I am on a All-City Nature Boy and after moving closer to the woods, I am more on trails than ever before. Basicly I can manage them with the bike (going to switch from 35c to 41c soon, maybe Knards!?). I just wonder what issues a gusset-less cross-bike can handle rock&root-wise? Every now and then I think about a MTB yet but considering its versatility, the Nature Boy is simply my dream bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    CX2 by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    CX by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

mtbr member
    rode about 38 miles of single track in south Austin yesterday. most people feel comfortable on a hardtail on these trails, so the CX bike was pretty harsh. I was able to set up some 35mm Cross Boss tires tubeless at 32 psi and felt the rim hit a few times. will probably try at least 35 next time.Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-12033050_10153012020445800_5994965348461936453_n.jpg

mtbr member
    MRT in 2011...how I didn't pinch flat I have NO idea...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-crossmrt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My cross bike spends most of its time on single track. Its crazy fun and challenging. I can't get over how great these bikes are. They can do it all.

American Made!
    Another great ride!
    15 miles of slab and 10 of dirt, gotta love it

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Here a pic of my Eastway in one of my favourites paths in Madrid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My new Transition Rapture at Bulow Creek today in Ormond Beach, FL. This was her first trip out on single track. Great day of riding although the trail was majorly flooded in some areas. I've never hiked-'n-biked before, but had to today in several spots because of bad swamp areas...

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-image.jpgCross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-image.jpg

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    Cool video. I'm assuming it was shot with a GoPro?. If so, what settings were used?
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Riding my local MTB trails on the cross bike.

https://youtu.be/i2aCyr_uNfw

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey I'm from the area and have been contemplating giving North Shore a try for a while now. What tire set up did you use out there?

Also bad*** thanks for the inspiration to go do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixonnn View Post
    What tire set up did you use out there?
    Thanks!
    Rocking 700x38 Specialized Infinities in that video, but I've done it on 32's confidently. 28's would get to the point where you would be way way to slow and have zero traction for the climbs. Also, it is alot easier to get up the climbs with a bit of knob on the tire. You can see me spin out a couple times in the video loosing rear traction going up. The tires I was on only have a deep water tread, no knobs.

Have fun riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    picked up this gem just a few months ago, 0 miles, 0 scratches, and 9 years old. Been slaying the single tracks in the northeast for a couple months now with this, never been happier since ditching the front fork suspension of my old Gary Fisher. I don't have any pic of her on any single track itself, but I'll send what I do have Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-image.jpgCross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-image.jpg
    I hope I uploaded these correctly....I failed my "how to do Internet for dummies" course...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Darn it, I knew I would find a way to screw that up....lol

Red October
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    rode about 38 miles of single track in south Austin yesterday. most people feel comfortable on a hardtail on these trails, so the CX bike was pretty harsh. I was able to set up some 35mm Cross Boss tires tubeless at 32 psi and felt the rim hit a few times. will probably try at least 35 next time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12033050_10153012020445800_5994965348461936453_n.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	1015821
    I ride my cross bike (Kona Major Jake) a lot on singletrack around town too, it does beat you up, but MAN ITS SO FUN!!!

Im riding a 35c Conti Cross Speed rear with a 35c Cross Race

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-img_0824.jpg
    Last edited by mellowdave; 10-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me ig

American Made!
    So much fun!

Sent from a over priced hand held device
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got the SSteamroller out on some late season ST in Flagstaff earlier this week...a bit rocky and muddy but I cleaned almost everything.

mtbr member
    Anyone else getting lingering lower back pain from riding singletrack on your cross bike? I can't shake this dull ache in my lower back after my last ride. I usually ride my SS hardtail on these trails and decided to start mixing it up with a cyclocross bike and I am starting to regret it.
    Get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BGqKPG]
    bypavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

bypavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Anyone else getting lingering lower back pain from riding singletrack on your cross bike?
    I'd check seating position on the cx vs ss and see how much further you are leaning over. The more aggressive position could be putting more 'shearing' forces on your back (instead of your back compressing up and down, its being pulled back to front. Hope that makes sense)

mtbr member
    ^that will be hard to measure because the two bikes are very different- one is a flat bar mountain bike and the other is a drop bar cx bike. I did notice that my saddle was creeping down into my frame (seems to be a constant problem for me on every frame, every seatpost, every clamp I have). will investigate.
    Get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Anyone else getting lingering lower back pain from riding singletrack on your cross bike? I can't shake this dull ache in my lower back after my last ride. I usually ride my SS hardtail on these trails and decided to start mixing it up with a cyclocross bike and I am starting to regret it.
    I don't have any problems being uncomfortable on my cross bike. I do have it set up specifically for riding off road with a set of dirt drop bars. I measured my setup for another thread and my position in the drops on my cross bike, which is what I use when things are serious, is pretty much the same as being on the hoods on my road bike. Compared to my mountain bikes it is farther horizontally from the seat, which is compensated for some by being much narrower. It is about 65mm lower than the mountain bike.

I think that riding on the hoods off road can be a source of discomfort. Your forearms get stressed trying to apply the brakes, and also wrestling with the bars when things get technical doesn't work that well on the hoods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have drop bars on my cross bike and found that adding cross brake levers really helped in the dirt on steep descents. I can stay up higher and farther back and its more comfortable while braking and descending. We have 15MPH speed limits on almost all the local trails I ride and with ~5 mile descents riding the brakes, the cross levers are a big win. I also added a 100mm dropper seat post to let me drop the saddle for the steeper descents. That also helps take the weight off the back and shoulders on steep, bumpy descents with no suspension:
    - DSCF1445

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I think that riding on the hoods off road can be a source of discomfort. Your forearms get stressed trying to apply the brakes, and also wrestling with the bars when things get technical doesn't work that well on the hoods.
    I have Cowbell bars, which are compact road bars with a fair amount of flare. I spend most of my time in the hooks while riding off-road, which is probably what is putting the strain on my back. I can't ride on the top of the bar off-road because I don't have any access to shifting and braking, and I don't feel comfortable on the hoods because, as you mentioned, it means less power to the brakes, which strains my hands and arms.

the other issue is the saddle-bar drop. the top of my handlebar is just below my saddle height at the moment I already have a pretty tall stack of spacers under my stem and have the stem pointed up, but due to Soma's old school CX horizontal top tube design, getting a bike with a reach that fits me meant a frame with a short head tube. this still leaves the bars pretty low for off-roading. I can put a ludicrous stack of spacers under my stem or get a super tall stem, or get a different frame.

in the meantime, i will try three things:
    1. angle the bars back, so the hoods are angled up a little instead of flat, as they are now. I can ride in the hoods more often and stay more upright.
    2. get some compressionless brake housing -- I have standard housing and TRP Spryes right now, I hope compressionless will stiffen them up.
    3. know the limits of the bike- it's not a mountain bike, which is why I have a mountain bike. avoid the chunkiest of trails. much of the area I ride is a spaghetti bowl of trails, so it's hard to navigate without accidentally careening into the sections you are trying to avoid.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-07-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    Get off my lawn!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ok, technically a double post but it is one single track.

Took the Nature Boy out for a nice ride. The trails started out nice but suddenly got REAL muddy.

I took the road back and passed a couple of roadies going uphill, flinging mud all the while. I tried to give them a wide berth.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-20151206_151004.jpg

The last quarter mile or so between where I took these pics and the road was the worst. First time ever I had so much mud that the wheels wouldn't turn. The mud was very sticky! It made riding on the ice that much more fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    So here's my question for everyone:

When you're on the hoods, is it 1-finger braking? 2? 3?

For cruising around and even general singletrack I'm fine with 1, but as soon as it's any kind of decent I just don't have the leverage I need.

So I'm just curious what's the "standard"?

(I'm new to this, but I've also just switched to my bulky winter gloves. With summer gloves I was valiantly struggling with 1-finger, but with the big gloves it's not even an option)

((and I know I could use the drops, but I've already got two dirtdrop bikes. For this one, sticking to the hoods is meant to be a challenge))

mtbr member
    I just don't ever ride on the hoods when I'm descending. On my cross bike I have dirt drops, and the way I have them set up the the hoods are so high that I consider them useless. But I used to use a touring bike as a cross bike and I've ridden off road quite a bit on road bikes and those had normal bars. I would use the hoods for mellow riding and for out of the saddle climbing, but for descending I've always gone to the drops. It's not just your braking that is compromised, but you can't grip the bars as well either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

This bike was supposed to keep my old ass in check from riding stuff like this.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-hprock.jpg
    I'm fortunate to live a mile away from my favorite trail in my area. After 20+ years of riding here and it's still fun and challenging. The step-down rock drop at Hobby Park is one of a few recent features additions to an already rad trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    So here's my question for everyone:

When you're on the hoods, is it 1-finger braking? 2? 3?

For cruising around and even general singletrack I'm fine with 1, but as soon as it's any kind of decent I just don't have the leverage I need.

So I'm just curious what's the "standard"?

(I'm new to this, but I've also just switched to my bulky winter gloves. With summer gloves I was valiantly struggling with 1-finger, but with the big gloves it's not even an option)

((and I know I could use the drops, but I've already got two dirtdrop bikes. For this one, sticking to the hoods is meant to be a challenge))
    First off...winter gloves do make it much harder to brake from the hoods. Second, I'm also very new to drop/dirt drop riding so my opinion is useless. If I do venture onto single track with my steamroller, it's usually rocky enough that I'll slow down considerably to keep punctures and pinch flats at bay. At that speed, since it's SS, I've got to stand and mash to get the pedals turning anyway so I'll be on the hoods standing most of the time on single track. If I somehow find a long smooth descent (they don't really exist on trails here), then I get to sit down and tuck into the drops for better braking control.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I always have 2 fingers on the lever when on the hoods...road, 'cross, or mtb-ing the 'cross bike. If conditions warrant I'll use 3 or 4 fingers but never 1.

mtbr member
    I went OTB last night on our urban adventure ride. I was on the hoods and should have been in the drops. Lesson learned the hard way...as usual.

I like turtles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

mtbr member

Last edited by Ducman; 01-17-2016 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    One of my favorite places to ride, it's less than 5 miles from my house. Since I just got a new bike my normal rotation has been thrown out of whack, so here is a picture of my new bike instead of my cyclocross bike. It's as far from a cross bike as anything I have. 120mm of travel F/R and 27.5"x3" tires. Just to mix things up.

Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-wwmoramesa0.jpg
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos-wwmoramesa1.jpg