Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Cross bike weight

I didn't see any other threads on this. What is the average weight of most cross bikes? I know everyone is different. But are we talking high teens, low twenties... high twenties?

I just picked up a 2011 specialized crux carbon expert which is 18.1 pounds... I thought that was probably ridiculously light for a cross bike. I know there are not a ton of carbon cross bikes out there. But I don't know what they should or could weight. What is everyones bike weigh in at?

I dd what you see there.
    my trek cronus cx ultimate (w/ several upgrades) weighs in at 16lbs 7ozs as of last week.

I think the neighbourhood of 19 to 20 lbs would be the "average" of cross bikes, obviously higher end 'race' bikes will be lower and the multi-purpose commuter styles will be slightly heavier.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    It has to be under 20 pounds. Anything under 17 would be nice. Under 15 is crazy light.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    My Cx in the Single Speed Form weights in at 17lbs.

mtbr member
    So it really depends on how you weigh it... Do you weigh it as you ride it or stripped down without pedals? My carbon Hakkalugi weighs about 18.5# with pedals, cages, seat bag, and pump... Obviously it would weigh a bit less if stripped down to race...
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

the half breed devil
    this is my 2011 GT CX type 1. the last time this bike was on a scale at a shop, it weighed in at 24.5 pounds with ritchey 40's and the seatbag. this bike's msrp is (was) $2029. i figure if one removes the seatbag and bottle cages along with using the original maxxis larsen 35's it came with, the weight out the shop door must be around 23-23.5 pounds.

performance bike gave me this as a warranty replacement for a much lesser schwinn 'cross bike, so i have no complaints whatsoever about the weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross bike weight-img_20120602_181004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Last time I checked, my Gunnar Crosshairs weighed 9.75kg (21.5 lbs). I've since upgraded to some much heavier tyres, so I'd guess it's somewhere around 10kg.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Carbon

Uhh, not sure where you race but there is a pile of carbon on the starting line here in SoCalCross series. Not sure if it is the best material yet as I doubt most companies have invested the time in the myriad of layups which would extract the best ride characteristics. For the record my wife and I race sub 17 lb alloy framed bikes W/ XTR pedals. For the SS races, we zip tie the shifter in one gear to get another race in the day for a nominal cost. I had never raced SS till last season and it is a lot of fun. Hate ss for mtb, but in cross with such short descents there is no time to get pissed about not being able to keep pedaling in a descent gear, just spin like mad and pile on more pain. Love 'cross, miss 'cross, only a few months away....

DT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My 60cm 2011 Chili Con Crosso is 18lbs with 1x10 Rival, Avid Ultimates, Hope/Notube Alpha wheels, and a Brooks Ti Swallow.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    For the SS races, we zip tie the shifter in one gear to get another race in the day for a nominal cost. I had never raced SS till last season and it is a lot of fun.DT
    You guys race for Rapha, don't you?

Digging in the pain cave.
    My Felt F-75x is 20. The only changes were taking off the interrupter levers and changing brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My Stevens Carbon Cross weighs in at 17.1 lbs with a mix of SRAM Red/Rival and Alpha 340 Wheels (not yet set up tubeless). Probably could reduce it a little more, but 17lbs is good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My Dirty Disco weighs in at 18 lbs fully loaded, pedals, cages, etc... Running Stans Crest tubeless and not many crazy light parts.

the half breed devil
    how much money are you people spending on these sub twenty pound bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    Probably more than what my car is worth.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    My bike is 16lbs even and I've got under $2000.00. invested. If you build smart do your own work and don't need labels it's not too hard. Oh and go 1x if it's only used for racing.
    "Do not touch the trim"

I dd what you see there.
    CAVEAT: I'm Canadian so I`m dealing in CDN prices.

Bike: a hair under $2500 from the Trek Store at the Toronto Bike Show. (taxes incl.)
    Wheelset: A hair under $1193 - from Ebay (these are totals - cost, ship., tax. and other `fees` if applicable included)
    Saddle: $128 from Ebay
    Handlebar, Tape, Stem and Seatpost: $688 from 3T in Italy
    Cassette, tires & tubes, levers, multi-tool, sausage suit, build and install wheelset, repair one broken rear der. cable: about $600 from LBS
    swap stem, handlebar, seatpost and saddle: $0 performed by me!

My math skills would have that just a hair over $5000, but once again, that`s Canadian funds, so it`s probably more like less than $2000 in American funds. lol
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got a Blue Norcross Sl that is in the high 15s when fully dressed for battle (tubies, etc.). Could go lighter if I didn't have aluminum post, stem and bars and a heavy seat and 2x. Like others have said, you can build a crazy light bike for a reasonable amount of money if you're patient with good timing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    19.5-20 lbs. Steel and disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2000 s-works cx 19lbs (60cm) . picked off craigslist for well under $1k.

the half breed devil
    this reviewer calls my bike 20.7 with pedals. yes, mine is GT's "medium".

GT CX1 | Cross Bike Review

how the hell did i gain about three pounds when i've done nothing to this bike but use old school 737's and big assed tires...and a WTB speed V saddle. i weighed mine today at 24.5 lbs with the seatbag removed. the only extras on the bike when it was on the scale were the bottle cages and knog lights.

are 45's and their slightly larger tubes THAT much heavier?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    are 45's and their slightly larger tubes THAT much heavier?
    depends on the tire. using the schwalbe marathon as an example ( its a heavy tire to begin with)
    a 25 weighs 540g
    a 35 weighs 730g
    a 45 weighs 985g

so going from a 35 to a 45 is 1.1 lb in that pair of tires.

and staying 35 but switching to the marathon racers (375g) will shave 1.5lbs

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    depends on the tire. using the schwalbe marathon as an example ( its a heavy tire to begin with)
    a 25 weighs 540g
    a 35 weighs 730g
    a 45 weighs 985g

so going from a 35 to a 45 is 1.1 lb in that pair of tires.

and staying 35 but switching to the marathon racers (375g) will shave 1.5lbs
    good point. i'm running the panaracer fire cross. a quick check indicates that even the folding bead of this tire weighs a pound and a half...

i'm sure that my vintage 737's are chubby, too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Vicious Slider w/steel fork, tubies, and Force is in at ~19lbs
    Giant TCX w/Rival and tubies is in at ~18
    Traitor Crusade SSCX w/steel fork and tubies is in at ~18

My clincher wheels add about a pound to each. All are equipped with Thompson bits and Ritchey metal bits because I'm no flyweight and I need the strength over the weight. I could probably get the TCX into the 16's if I put about $1000 into it. The Crusade could easily be a 16lb bike with a carbon fork and light wheels. All of my tubular builds are handbuilt with ultegra hubs, reflex rims, and double butted spokes, so nothing too flashy there either.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    My cross bike is fat. 22 lbs for a mostly stock Kona Jake the Snake of 2009 vintage. Of course that's with clinchers 35c knobbies, cages, seat bag full of stuff.

Lighter than stock bits ended up being some trp CX 8.4 mini v's and some salsa 46cm bar and ditching the top levers.

Sent by smoke signal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast