hispanic mechanic

Crisis of conscience (X-post RBR CX forum)

"If people really want to clean the sport of cycling up all you have to do is put your money where your mouth is.
    Donít buy a USA Cycling license. Give up racing for a year, just long enough to put the UCI and USA cycling out of business. We can then start from scratch and let the real lovers in cycling direct where and how the sport of cycling will go.

Please make a difference.

Greg"

That's from Greg Lemond's open letter to Pat McQuaid and the UCI.
    I tend to agree with the notion that if we, as cyclists, want to make a difference then we should vote with our dollars.

I haven't held a USAC/USCF license in about 12 years- when I was still racing CX and road in Colorado, we were fortunate enough to have the ACA as an independent sanctioning body.
    Thing is, now that we live in Boise, there's a good 'cross scene. But those races are all USAC sanctioned. I've really enjoyed the 2 races I've done here (with 1 day licenses,) and was planning on racing at least 5 more. 3 of those take place in December, so I was going to wait to renew my decade-plus expired license until then (USAC licenses are valid from December 1 to the next November 30.)

Now, I'm not sure I want to do that. I love this sport. I remember the 1989 TdF battle between Lemond and Fignon aired on CBS. I believed, somewhat naively in retrospect, that a cancer survivor could come back and dominate the sport. I believed in cycling.

I'm in a quandary. Continue participating in the sport I love, partially funding an organization that I've come to believe covered up massive doping to cover their collective asses? Quit racing for a year as Lemond suggests? Start promoting my own, underground (and unsanctioned,) CX races?

Sigh.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    The year off racing idea reminds me of the "stop buying gas for a day" idea. Folks seem pretty split on the debate and many people just don't care about it...so it would be difficult to get enough folks together to try to make an impact that UCI would notice.
    Signature

hispanic mechanic
    True, just having this same discussion on the RBR forum. "And that speaks to a large part of my quandary, actually. If I took a year off from racing- heck, even if my entire circle of influence did- would it make a lick of difference or would I just miss out on racing? Is taking a moral high road doing any real good?"

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Perhaps you can take the high moral road by skipping a year of racing and still have some fun with some unsanctioned events or maybe even exploration into other types of competitive events.
    Signature

Ovaries on the Outside
    Clearly, getting rid of the sanctioning bodies is going to clean up the sport.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im going to keep buying my licenses every year and racing. Not to support USA cycling but to be able to participate. Its what I enjoy the most in life. Im not too into politics.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

hispanic mechanic
    I've thought about this a lot, and quitting racing doesn't make much sense for me. As I've been reminded by people here and elsewhere, my absence from local USAC-sanctioned races isn't going to hurt the dopers, or those looking the other way for them.
    I will try and make efforts to push for more non-USAC races. I just like the idea of more underground cyclocross racing.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You know, you could just start up a Lions Club. You get to do good things for your community and their insurance coverage for doing volunteer work really is a great value.

Just a thought...

mtbr member
    I don't have much insight into what may or may not have happened at national level (USAC) or international (UCI) At the local level, clubs are putting on races under USAC because it is fun, people come out and so what about lance or whoever else.

Put your $$ and race effort into the scene where your racing. If you want to fix the higher levels, get involved. If not, make sure you are clean. Maybe we'll duke it out in Nampa next weekend.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat View Post
    I don't have much insight into what may or may not have happened at national level (USAC) or international (UCI) At the local level, clubs are putting on races under USAC because it is fun, people come out and so what about lance or whoever else.

Put your $$ and race effort into the scene where your racing. If you want to fix the higher levels, get involved. If not, make sure you are clean. Maybe we'll duke it out in Nampa next weekend.
    Yeah, I've decided to just keep racing, join USAC, and try and make a difference where I can- at the local level.
    Sorry, I won't be racing Nampa next weekend- it's our 10 year anniversary, and not even my understanding wife is that understanding!

Los
    Jens Voight

I'd rather be riding
    Can we talk about how lame it is that USA Cycling Licenses don't last a year from date of signing up. I'd love to race cross right now but I can't justify a license when I can buy one for the whole year Dec. 1st. Or at least let my collegiate license count for CAT4 open...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I wonder how many local races will lose money ( that is needed to pay for the race, porta potties,staff, set up, registration supplies and people) if everyone decided to not support UCI or USAC and take a year off from racing. It may well get a point across to UCI or USAC but I fear it will kill a large number of local races as the people putting them on will front the money to set up a race and hope to get it back from registration. When no one signs up, they will lose a lot and in the following year, there will not be any races to attend.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiorick View Post
    I wonder how many local races will lose money ( that is needed to pay for the race, porta potties,staff, set up, registration supplies and people) if everyone decided to not support UCI or USAC and take a year off from racing. It may well get a point across to UCI or USAC but I fear it will kill a large number of local races as the people putting them on will front the money to set up a race and hope to get it back from registration. When no one signs up, they will lose a lot and in the following year, there will not be any races to attend.
    Good points. When I promoted a couple of races in Denver many years ago, I opted to go with ACA. Unfortunately, not really an option for most areas, and the last thing we need is fewer races and racers.
    Part of why I will purchase a USAC license and continue to race is to support local race promoters and their races. That, and I really enjoy racing...

zippinveedub- I hear ya. Doesn't make much sense.

Los
    Jens Voight