mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Converting a Surly Cross Check from bar ends to STI

I just purchased a Surly Cross Check complete and I am not liking the bar end shifters for trail riding. It is a 2x9 drive train with a Shimano Deore rear derailleur and a Sora front.

What components do I need to switch this to STI shifters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you want to keep it 9 speed, which is the cheapest option, you will need 9 speed shifters (shimano), new bar tape, and likely new cables and housing for at least shifters/derailleurs, if not brakes as well (these depend on what generation shifters you get). Current sora is 9 speed, or you can go to previous generation tiagra; they can be found nos on Ebay.

If you want higher end, current generation stuff, you are looking at 10 speed for tiagra out 105. To do that, you would also need a cassette in addition to the other supplies.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    If you want to keep it 9 speed, which is the cheapest option, you will need 9 speed shifters (shimano), new bar tape, and likely new cables and housing for at least shifters/derailleurs, if not brakes as well (these depend on what generation shifters you get). Current sora is 9 speed, or you can go to previous generation tiagra; they can be found nos on Ebay.

If you want higher end, current generation stuff, you are looking at 10 speed for tiagra out 105. To do that, you would also need a cassette in addition to the other supplies.

Yep. I put Tiagra shifters on my CC (w/ an SLX rear and Deore front). They work very well, I think. My Tiagras worked just fine with two pairs of canti brakes and now with TRP's.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

jrm
    mtbr member
    Brakes. Pauls and shimano make v brakes that work with STI. Just out, is the 2013 Shimano V-Brakes for Road Bikes to work with Road Levers:
    BR-R573 - 105 V-Brake
    BR-R463 - Tiagra V-Brake
    BR-R353 - Sora V-Brake
    Only thing is that you cant get um in the US.
    Rakuten: SHIMANO Shimano TIAGRA BR-R463-S front rear set V brakes Tiagra components ?- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There is no need to change brakes; the stock ones are fine and compatible with short-pull (road calipers/cantilevers/road disc) levers. Set up right, cantilever brakes work great. Sorry if My initial post was confusing; I was referring to the brake cables/housing, not the mechanism.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You might have a look at the RetroShift setup. Use the bar end shifters on new brake levers:
    - Home Page - Retroshift CX

I've been running those on my cross bike (link in signature line) for almost 2 years now.