I like rigid MTB.

New question here. Converting a 29er into a cyclocross...Is it doable ?

Converting a 29er into a cyclocross.
    Is it doable ?
    Does it rides and performs like a real cx ?
    Do they have similar geometry ?
    What do u think ?
    I have limited budget and no room for another bike.
    Last edited by edle; 01-29-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: add info.

Robtre
    Working on this myself. Depending on your frame, Geo is certainly different. I guess depends on your application, Id guess CX racing the bike would not perform as well. I sold my CX bike to build another Mtn Bike, and converting over a Vassago Jabberwocky frame to a CX. I am not a racer, and the Jabber application will be for exploring fire roads and singletrack.
    -rides bikes for fun.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    Is it doable ?
    What do u think ?
    I used my 26er as a pit bike for several CX seasons and can't say that it cost me any places. The Geometry is different, but it may not be significant depending on your riding style, weight may play a more important role. Depending on your bike and wheelset the swap could be as simple as new tires and a new fork although you can race a stock 29er in a cross race with no change. If you're thinking about Cross racing and still want to maintain your bike mostly stock, I'd just buy a set of cross tires and try it out. Most cross bikes have taller gears than most MTBs, I used a 12-26 rear and a 46/38 front, again, not necessary to ride but every ounce is important in a Cross race. If you go all out, you'll want to change bars and stems to fit (I liked the Motolap and Woodchipper bars) and that will also cost you a brakelever/shifter swap which gets pricy. I never ran runkel levers, didn't see the point. I did use eggbeater pedals and loved them. Keep in mind that the best bike on the course some days is a single speed CX with platform pedals and I got beat once by a guy riding a Mongoose Single Speed, so to quote Lance Armfullofholes "It's not the bike." Have fun, it's a great sport if you don't mind your chest exploding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ride what you got, just throw on some new wheels if they require it. Otherwise, just pump up what you've got to 45 to 60 psi. If you plan on using a 29er for CX, you're probably in it for the fun. When you seriously want to win, then you can spend money on a dedicated CX bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Ride what you got, just throw on some new wheels if they require it. Otherwise, just pump up what you've got to 45 to 60 psi. If you plan on using a 29er for CX, you're probably in it for the fun. When you seriously want to win, then you can spend money on a dedicated CX bike.
    I agree with the above, but I don't know why you would want to bump up your air pressure so high or even at all. Run it the same as you would for mountain biking. CX racers on tubular tires run super low pressures, between 20-30. For clinchers, the logic is the same as MTB and you shoot for as low as possible without pinch flatting or rolling the tire in corners.

There is a guy who does our local CX races on a 29er with drop bars, rigid fork, and CX tires. I'm pretty sure he converts it back to MTB in the summer. At a quick glance it just looks like a CX bike with disc brakes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Converting a 29er into a cyclocross...Is it doable ?

Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    Is it doable ?
    What do u think ?
    Doable: yes

Like a real CX: no

Geo: not really

Just put 'cross tires on and go. It will work fine.

If you need to have dropbars there is not really a cheap way to do it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If you need to have dropbars there is not really a cheap way to do it.
    Sure there is; singlespeed! Okay, probably not the advice you were looking for, but it is a cheap way to do drop-bar (probably <$50 for a bar, brake levers and a stem if you watch craigslist/ebay).

In all seriousness, this past season I raced CX on my touring bike as my main bike, but rode my rigid drop-bar SS mtb (On-One Inbred) for the SS race. No, it wasn't as light as the touring bike, but when riding, I know my fitness made a larger difference than the machine I was on. The big difference was on run-ups and barriers; the extra ~5lbs made a difference. Still was a lot of fun (and that's what it is about, right?)!