mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Converting to 1x10... help!

I'm a bit ditzy when it comes to this stuff, so pardon me...

I have a '13 Crux frame set that I threw all my components on from an earlier Crux, and then ended up upgrading the derailleurs and stuff. Didn't give it much thought until after I had it all back together that damn, I really want the whole front derailleur mess gone. I race cross pretty much twice a weekend September-December in Colorado, so a combination of dry, mud, snow, and rough terrain. I'm hard on the bike, and eliminating the moving part that gives me the most grief appeals to me.

I currently have:
    SRAM Apex 10 speed shifters
    11-28 cassette
    SRAM Force 10 speed long-cage rear derailluer
    SRAM Force cranks (130bcd... that was an ebay oops)

My system of thought tells me get a 11-32 cassette which the RD will work with and then an Absolute Black front chain ring. Take off the front derailleur. Who cares about the left shifter being funny... and call it a day? Or am I missing something vital here? I'm very new to building bikes, so I don't want to mess up ordering stuff.

Also, any thoughts on front chain ring size? Bike has 46/36 with the 11-28. Most courses I could ride big-big just fine for the whole race, but there were a handful of power sapping grass climbing courses, and then of course thick mud or snow courses that I spun an easier gear on. My training has come a long way, and I'm a lot more powerful this year so I know I can push something harder. I'm a 150lb tall chick, so not a super powerful male by any means. When I'm not doing cross I do some gravel/road rides on the bike, so I do want a decent climbing gear.

Thanks everyone in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    id go 38 or 40 unless you have no really steep terrain (even on 36-28 it can be challenging for a steep muddy hill if you're not built like a machine). but most of all, id try to find a bike with a 1x setup (shop, friend, race, ...). should at least find one with a 42 in the front and see how you like it.

most bikes with 1x setup this year will probably have 11-32 or 11-36 with 42 on the front by "default".

the big ring shifter can be left unused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just realized I have a dumb way of trying it out... so when I mistakenly ordered my 130bcd cranks (instead of 110), I had to get new chain rings and the shop ordered in 46/38. So I could just go ride around in my current small chain ring and 11-28 cassette and get at least a very basic feel for gearing with the 38 chain ring with the 11-28 (which from what I've read is a really common setup). I don't really know anybody with a 1x10 cross set up (or really a cross bike at all that is not a 50-100 mile drive from me) unfortunately.

We do get some really steep sections of courses, and some of the gravel rides I do have some decent climbing involved. So I do want a balance... I don't want to be spinning out on the fast power sections, but I also don't want to be tortured riding hills.

So I'm guessing I'm good to go just buying a cassette if I don't like the 11-28 and the chain ring for the front... right? Woo hoo, cheaper than I was thinking! Though I'm thinking if I stay 11-28 I'll need a new RD that is short cage... apparently there's issues with the chain popping off with long cage RD and the Absolute Black chain rings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an 11 speed Ultegra with 42 Wolftooth chainring and 11-32 cassette. Works great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So you have a 36t chainring on a 130 bcd crank? Is there separate mounting holes for the inner chainring? I run a 38/53 on my Cannondale SI 130 bcd cranks, the 38t was the smallest ring I found for the bolt pattern.

If your going 1x10, I would recommend a 40-42 front chainring, but you'd be the only one to answer that depending on your riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No, I have a 38 on a 130bcd... originally the bike had 36 but then I wanted carbon cranks and didn't realize there's different crank sizes, so what I ordered from ebay was 130 so I had to do a 38t for my small chain ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I did the same conversion on my cross bike this past winter. I got a 42t Wolftooth chainring, an 11-36t cassette, and an X.9 short cage type 2 derailleur...(I have force shifters). I find I can ride most everything I need to with this setup. So far I'm incredibly happy with the way it rides. I take it through all sorts of mud and singletrack and so far haven't even thought about the chain dropping. I also removed the shifter paddle from the left shifter just to have a clean look and because I'm a weight weanie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was on a 42 x 11-27 but went with 39 x 11-26 the last two seasons (fellow front ranger) to minimize my mashing. Very happy and honestly I can ride just about anything with that combination, save that stupid hill in Frisco.

For racing, I'd wonder if the 11-32 might have too big of a spread with a 38tooth front but only you can really judge that. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I raced one season with a 36T front ring and a 13-25 cassette on the back. I only spun out the 36x13 combination at one race, but I'm slow and I like to spin. A 36x11 combination will get you 26 mph with a cadence around 100, so it's probably not as bad as you might think. I mean, seriously, how often do you go 26 mph in a CX race?

The problem I had with the 36T set up was that CX races have a way of pushing me into my lowest gear and leaving me there. The next year I switched to a 38T ring up front just to limit how slow I can go. I still sometimes throw a 12-28 or even 12-30 cassette on there for courses with really steep hills. It's mostly a mental thing.

This year I'm going to give 2x10 another try. I switched to Gevenalle shifters and it makes the front shifting a lot more reliable. I have the bike set up 2x10 with 46-34 rings for gravel grinding expeditions during the off-season. I was going to switch to 46-36 when fall came around, but a friend recently told me that Katie Compton uses a 42-34, which I think is intriguing. I'd have to be disciplined about staying away from the 34T ring when I was just tired, but it could really work. I think that I can convince even my oxygen starved brain that spinning along in a 34x28 gear is a bad idea, so then I'm out of my lowest gear and forced to figure out the gear I actually should be using. Plus, the 34T would be too low often enough that it would encourage me to use the big ring more and the 42T big ring is still small enough that I might not mind most of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    personally i can do more or less everything on 42x11-28 except some of these really hard muddy hills where i need 38x36 and its still hard

I can do all frisco hills on 36x28 (on a 2 ringer) albeit its not always spinning as fast as id want thats for sure, and 36x32 or even 36x36 would probably be "perfect"

best is to use the gear calc if you cant test anyway. you can compare with your current rings/cogs combinations. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator for example.

unless having as much range as XX1 (or at least as the 11-36T 10 speed cassette for "road") personally im going to keep the 2 ringer and 11-32 for the all-around stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Try it with the 38, if you need more low end go to a a bigger cassette, not enough top end, which shouldn't be a problem, go to a 40 or 42 chainring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for everyone's advice! I think I'll test it out by just using my small chain ring which is a 38 on my current cassette and see how it goes. I just worry that because I have a medium cage derailleur I"ll have chain dropping issues (I really don't want to have a chain catcher), so I might get a short cage derailleur if I stay with the 11-28.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think I've finally narrowed down the parts selection after tracking down a fellow female racer who has 1x10 on her Crux that is of similar fitness/category as me...

SRAM Force CX1 rear derailleur
    11-32 cassette
    Wolf Tooth 40t front chainring

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I think I've finally narrowed down the parts selection after tracking down a fellow female racer who has 1x10 on her Crux that is of similar fitness/category as me...

SRAM Force CX1 rear derailleur
    11-32 cassette
    Wolf Tooth 40t front chainring
    I think you'll be really happy with that combo. I've been racing on a 42x11-27 and have always managed to power up everything I've come across on the front range CX courses. However I have definitely wished for lower gearing on a few occasions and have never spun out the 42x11, so I'm dropping down to a 40 for this season. The 40x11-32, should leave you with some cushion on both the low and top ends.