mtbr member

Conti XKing users?

Looking at these in the 700x35 size to add a bit more volume to my bike. Problem is my rear tire clearance isn't all that great. Does anyone happen to have these tires in 700x35? If so, can you measure the actual width when mounted/inflated on a rim? I can't risk spending the money on these and having them not fit. I appreciate the help.
    Signature

Bro Mountainbiker
    If their cross tires are anything like contis MTB tires, they will run small.

Wish I could tell you a definite answer though. I have been eyeballing the new conti CX lineup. they all look like solid options.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    That is what I was thinking as well. May bite the bullet and buy them if I can find a good deal. Guess I could always make up the loss a little by selling.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi,
    i ordered two Cyclo X-kings in 42-622. Planning to use them as winter tyres here in europe.
    Altough its the bigger size the messurement will hopefully give you an indication. Looking foward to share my experince.

Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Thats the 42er. It measures 38mm. IŽam riding it at arround 2,5 R. and 2 Bar F.

The tyre itself ist predictable und smooth rolling. Cornering is good. Iam using it as an allrounder. Selfcleaning is not good in loamy condition, but thats obvious.
    Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    How does it feel on pavement...is it squirmy at all? Most of my riding is paved mixed with some gravel, sand, and single track. This one peaked my interest since it looked like a fast roller but now that I keep looking at it I'm wondering if I should go with tire that is a semi-slick in the center with knobs on the outer edges.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It rolls well on pavement, better than i expected. The tyre feels stable, because of the tight outer knobs. The volume helps with rougher stuff like stones and roots. Gravel and sand are not good at all with skinny tyres, its more about the riders experince i reckon.
    If youre doing at least 50% pavement and hardpack, i would go for something like the schwalbe smart sam or schwalbe cx comp in 35 or 37c.
    The xking is more an allrdounder that performs well in most conditions. So if you discover that your riding ecounters a condition that prevails, i would go with a more special tyre.
    Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I run the Conti Speed Kings in 35 and love them - definitely more volume than the typical 32 or 33 tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ikarus- can you provide more pics front and back and the whole bike... I've got the same rig and been waiting to find pics of this tire in the 42. Are this folding or wire? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    double post, sorry....
    Last edited by e46junkie; 11-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Good info. The SB8 was brought to my attention last week and I think that may be the winner.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry, thats all i have:

The Rubber is rather hard, so you need experience over wet rocks and roots.
    Overall i likes this tyre.
    Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Beauty... thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeah i like the Cross Check alot. Solld my speci alu/carbon cyclocross fot it.

These are folding tyres.
    Going to try them tubeless soon.
    Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    EBay? Only place I can find them in 42 and folding

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The foldings are widely available here in europe.

Continental CycloXKing Faltreifen Modell 2012 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

They are shipping worldwide, buts its rather expensive.
    Regards,
    Michael

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Thanks for the replies to this thread; I've been eying off 2 of these at my LBS, just waiting for Cyber Monday to go in and nab em at 50% off...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ive got a set of 32s on my Redline. They hook up great, especially over looser terrain. I plan on going to Worlds, so width was an issue for me. Sorry for the lack of pictures. Actual measurement is 30-31.

Of note: I tried to set them up tubeless last week on some Ultegra wheels. No go... They seated fine, but the sidewalls are to porous to seal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My two 42er are goging strong with tubeless. Seatet fine and there is nearly no air loss.

Feeling is great.
    Regards,
    Michael

mtbr member
    I ended up going a different route. 700x40 Happy Medium on the front and a 35 Smallblock 8 on the rear. I think this will fit my needs pretty well...fast rolling enough for pavement and hard pack but some knobs on the side to help out with some of the looser trails.
    Signature