Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Considering building a carbon HT for cyclocross racing

I don't like drop bars for off road and was thinking of building a carbon hardtail up as a cyclocross bike. Are you guys considering that or have you gone that route? Drop bars feel sketchy to me...

Bro Mountainbiker
    You could always put flat bars on a CX bike.

CX bikes are designed for CX racing, while MTBs are designed for trail(obviously). A CX bike will have more optimized geometry and will probably be lighter and easier to carry than a mtb.

Again, build a mtb if you want to, but dont let handlebar style be the determining factor as you can put either bar style on either style bike.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Why did you put this flat bar thing in my head? Now Im joensin for some flat bars and hydraulic brakes!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I don't like drop bars for off road and was thinking of building a carbon hardtail up as a cyclocross bike. Are you guys considering that or have you gone that route? Drop bars feel sketchy to me...
    see what sheepo said.

hardtail geometry isn't exactly too friendly to shoulder. If you don't plan on shouldering your bike... no problem then.

Are you also considering getting a rigid fork or are you going front suspension?

Are you considering one of those chinese frames, like DengFu?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Plenty of guys have done exactly what you're thinking. Do a search, you'll find lots of info.

and as far as shouldering the bike, sometimes you can put your shoulder right under the saddle if the bike has a drastically sloping top tube. I do that all the time if I have to carry and run with my mtn.bike.