mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Component list for a flatbar 1x11 or 1x10

Been researching a 1x 11 or 1x10 for flatbar. Would like to go the 105 5800 11-32 tooth cassette. Has anyone have experience with this and would I be able to get away with small derailer or have to go medium. Also another question is will a 11 spd fit a raleigh furley stock rim that can come oem with a 105 9 speed. Money not an option just want great quality. And a flatbar trigger shift. Been researching a bit but see there's a lot of people on here with 1x11 and 1x10 setups but haven't seen a flatbar setup. No have a neck issue and flat bars with a 12degrre stem has seemed to help. Also want to do some small local races and know once I start I'll have to make the baddest bike I can because I accually like the tuning and mechanics as much as riding. How do clutch setups help? Just got back into biking. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This article should answer most of your questions...

Shimano 105 5800 2014/15 groupset - first look - BikeRadar

They recommend the long cage derraileur for the 11-32 cassette buy I don't think it's neccesary for a 1x set up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks that was I've been looking at as an option with med cage. But very curious about the shadow zee swimano setup also that comes with raliegh 4130 moutain bike it has a 11-34 or 36. Live in north central pa and climb allot of steep dirt or mounds so we can do the down hills. Accually just found a old road for radio towers that has a tough 200ft climb then 1600ft decent. It's a blast we've been doing that ride every Monday. I was wondering how the 11 spd fits? I know on some moutain bikes the sprockets go around the differt cone shape the rims and spokes allows for 11 spd. I do like how the 105 11 sp has a flatbar option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hear what I think Iam set on if it'll work. Zee shadow 11-36 with 42t wolftooth. I can't find anyone else with this combo online. But I don't see why it won't work but not an expert. The zee crankset in the groupset goes from 32t to 38t. Does it matter what size the crank is for any derailer? I will use a saint shifter on my flatbar

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No, chainring size doesn't affect rear derraileur choice.

I think that set up would work but for the riding you describe and the chainring you want to use I'd be tempted to go with the new 11-40 xtr set up, it's not cheap but it'll make those climbs alot less gruelling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Would shifting to 11-40 affect shifting. I understand the xtr and saint are the top of the line? What's the difference and do they both have clutches. What's the advantage I have over the zee with them

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks everyone ordered the shadow zee with 10 speed casette. Also went a head and putting stans team rims and clement explorer Mso. I am hoping the 700 x 40 will fit rear according calipers I have about 3.5 on each side left if tires is close to the Same sidewall height of the swalbe cx comp. do want to get a wolfs tooth chainring for the 11-36 cassete thinking 42? Maybe 40. Want to do some of the gravel cross like rides . Uncle
    Looked at xtr with 40t cassette at a show and say that forty is huge almost brake size. The only thing that deterred me was the price of the xtr. Didn't get saint shifter but that's 3 times what the zee shifter was but will shift 2 in one push.