mtbr member

Comfy seat for long rides?

Anyone have any suggestions on a comfy seat for longer rides?

I currently have a 4ZA Stratos that came stock on the bike. It's comfy at first, but after 30 miles not so much.

I did a metric on it a few weeks ago, and I had to keep standing my butt hurt so bad.

I'm 5'9/160lbs, so I'm not that big and there's not a lot of padding back there, lol.

I heard the Charge Spoon was good, as well as the SDG(?) Bel Air. I see both on sale for around $30 online. (I like this price point, I see no reason to spend hundreds on a saddle)

Anyone have any experience with either of these, or any others?

I'm doing a 70 mile charity ride on it next sun, and I realized I'd better get a new seat!

Thanks!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I run a Serfas Dorado saddle on my touring/gravel bike and it is very comfortable, 5+ hours no problem (under $40). On my cross and road bikes, I run a Terry FLX Gel saddle and it is fairly comfortable, I am still getting used to it for longer rides, but 4-5 hours is tolerable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Seats are really personal - everyone's butt is different. While I also hate spending big bucks where not needed, I draw the line at the contact points between me and the bike (shoes, bars/gloves, and saddle). Don't worry about price - instead decide what you need to change from the stock saddle. Is it too wide/narrow, is the shape incorrect, or do you need a little more or less padding? Then, find saddles that fit the new criteria and try one. You'll only know if it is the right choice after a few hundred miles, unfortunately.

Personally I run the WTB Silverado team on my 'cross bike. Not cheap, but after many 100+ km rides (pavement and gravel/dirt) with no saddle sores (I'm well over 10,000 km on the bike so far) I think the investment was worthwhile...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2nd what bikingnerd said.

What's comfortable for one person may very well not be comfortable for the next. I personally run specialized saddles on all of my bikes. They make a huge array of different shapes, sizes, paddings, etc. I run the toupe road saddle on my road and cross bike, and the henge on my mountain bike because it has a bit more padding. Find yourself a good bike shop that does fits and they should be able to help you narrow down what you need. I know when I got a professional fit done, they had a gel pad that I sat on that they could then measure and determine the width of my sit bones to get the right size saddle.

Ask the local shop if they have test saddles or a return policy. I'm pretty sure specialized and trek both have like a 60 day return guarantee where you can bring it back if you don't like it after riding a few times and try something else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Go to your local Specialized shop and get your sit bones measured to help find the perfect seat, with that and a cheap pair of padded shorts and a touch of chamois butter and you can ride all day.

mtbr member
    I also agree about the Specialized saddles. Mine is the most comfortable I have owned. I ended up needing a 160 wide, which is wider than most saddles you will find off the shelf.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Been riding these since 1992 (road, mountain, cross) Selle Italia Flite Titanium 1990 Saddle - Excel Sports

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I know saddles are a personal thing, but I just wanted some suggestions so I can know where to start looking.

My LBS is a Spesh dealer, so I'll stop in and talk to them.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Stopped by the LBS near my work. The guy there recommended a Serfas saddle, one of their "RX" line, the performance oriented HM. Looks pretty good. Its split down the middle and made to flex a bit, and also has gel in it.

There's a 90 day money back guarantee on it, so that's good. Its 60 bucks in the store, which surprisingly is actually less than what I saw it for online. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Stopped by the LBS near my work. The guy there recommended a Serfas saddle, one of their "RX" line, the performance oriented HM. Looks pretty good. Its split down the middle and made to flex a bit, and also has gel in it.

There's a 90 day money back guarantee on it, so that's good. Its 60 bucks in the store, which surprisingly is actually less than what I saw it for online. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.
    That definitely looks like a comfy saddle. Nice width, but a little heavy. But if you are serious about comfort, it seems like a good option.

mtbr member
    Yeah, as much as I like the idea of really light weight, I think in this case riding comfort is more important. The extra 100 grams or so won't hold me back nearly as much as being sore & uncomfortable.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    I picked up the Serfas RX HM saddle on Fri. BTW, score 1 for that LBS, they had the cheapest price I found ANYWHERE, inc. online. Nice to buy locally for a change.

I bolted it on Fri night, and a quick ride around the block showed promise.

On Sunday I did a 70 mile ride. Well 77 actually, due to a SNAFU with the route markers. We ended up looping around a segment of the route twice.

Anyway, the seat did well. That's the farthest I've ever rode by 14 miles, and I was no where near as sore as I would have been on the stock saddle. However, I WAS still sore. I really noticed it on the hour drive home, I couldn't wait to get out of the car, and my Volvo has super comfy seats.

I'm not sure if it's the saddle, or I need to adjust the angle of it. I'm going to go back to where I bought it and try to get a little advice. If that doesn't help, I'll return it and try another.

One nice thing I noticed, even 50, 60 miles in, was that if I got off it momentarily, such as standing at a traffic light waiting for it to change, when I got back on it would feel surprisingly comfortable, even if I was getting a bit sore by that time. On my stock seat, the pain would just pick up right where it left off.

I ended up riding with an older guy who goes on weeklong rides, and has even ridden across the country, and swears by his Brooks. Might look into that at some point, even though they look HEAVY.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can take some time for you to adjust to a new saddle, different contact points, etc. Also, might need a bit of adjustment.

For example, I had the same Terry saddles on both my road and cross bike. On the road bike, set up perfectly level and felt perfect from day 1. Same saddle on the cross bike and it was painful initially, even started getting some chafing which I have never had before. What I noticed was I kept having to slide back on the saddle every so often on the cross bike. So I ended up tilting the front of the saddle up 1 degree and that did the trick. When I would slide forward, my sits bones would slide onto the narrower part of the saddle and that caused too much pressure. Then I also found that the chafing was from the saddle being just a hair off of straight. Just a slight angle was causing the nose of the saddle to rub the inside of my left thigh and cause the chafing issue.

Once those two minor adjustments were made, the saddle on the cross bike feels as good as the road bike. But the key thing is pay attention to what your body is telling you w.r.t. the saddle fit.

mtbr member
    Ah, tilting it up a bit sounds like it may help. I did notice that I would tend to find myself towards the nose of the saddle, and if I scooted myself back a bit I'd feel better.

I have it perfectly level right now.

Ill give that a shot, thanks for the tip!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride