mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Clyde on a Cyclocross for Commuting and Fun - recommendations and thoughts?

Cross-posting this in the Cyclocross, Commuting and Clydesdales forums...

I'm in the market for a cyclocross type bike to double as a commuter bike for me as well as a paved/dirt/gravel road fun bike. With the occasional ride on smooth single track mountain bike trails. And maybe actually give a cyclocross race a try at some point. I have 2 road bikes, plus 1 squishy 29r and a singlespeed rigid 29r and I don't want to alter one of them to be my long term commuter.

So, for those who are around 6'7" or so and with 34" or so inseams, and ride a cyclocross (or all road commuter) type bike, what do you ride?

And [all] what do you think about these when weighed against each other:

Surly Disc Truck in 63cm or 64cm
    Surly Cross-Check in 62cm
    Trek Crossrip Elite in 61cm
    Kona Jake in 63cm
    Kona Rove in 61cm
    Kona Jake the Snake in 61cm
    Civilian Vive Le Roi in 61cm

I think that is about it in my general frame size for around, or under, $1500. My next step is to try them (if I can find them in this size) and then do research on which can accept fenders and a rear rack.

Thanks!
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am 6'-4" with a 34" inseam (and 220lbs) I would look for a used 2007 or 2008 LeMond Poprad Disc in 59cm size (with a 59cm top-tube).

I am sure you know, but make sure you get the correct frame size, especially the top-tube that fits. I recommend that people do your body measurements at these 2 free sites:

Wrench Science: https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login....%2fHeight.aspx (you need to sign up for a password - still free)
    and
    Competitive Cyclist: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

look at the averages between what these 2 sites spit out for your measurements should be for a ROAD bike and subtract 1cm from the top-tube dimension.

Then look for a cyclocross bike that lists the top-tube measurement.

Gallery: LeMond Poprad Disc Review - BikeRadar
    First Impression: LeMond Poprad Disc | Commute by Bike
    Update: Lemond Poprad Disc | Commute by Bike
    LeMond Bicycles Poprad Disc Cyclocross Bike Reviews

The frame is made of True Temper OX Platinum steel ( OX PLATINUM Bicycle Frame Tubing by True Temper Sports ). and way nicer triple butting than any 4130 steel CX bike that I have seen; however 40c are the largest size tires that will fit in the rear. I don't see that as a problem though; I do single track on it very effectively.

mtbr member
    I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam and I considered many of the bikes you listed. The Trek Crossrip, the disc brake Konas, and the Jamis Nova Race were all on my list. Ended up going with the Civilian Vive Le Roi since it had a steel frame and sliders. Felt for the price it couldn't be beat but there are times I wish I went with the Trek since the tire clearance is supposedly massive on that thing. I can only fit a 700x40 up front and a 700x35 out back on my Civilian.

Competitive's fit calculator put me at a 59 or a 61. It feels a little big on me but overall I like the way it rides. I had to put a shorter stem on it to bring the reach back to a more comfortable level.

Civilian isn't equipped for a rear rack.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How heavy is the the Civilian Vive Le Roi frame? I heard it was pretty beefy 4130 - similar to the Surly Cross Check. The Poprad isn't a featherweight built up, but the frame is light for steel.

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam and I considered many of the bikes you listed. The Trek Crossrip, the disc brake Konas, and the Jamis Nova Race were all on my list. Ended up going with the Civilian Vive Le Roi since it had a steel frame and sliders. Felt for the price it couldn't be beat but there are times I wish I went with the Trek since the tire clearance is supposedly massive on that thing. I can only fit a 700x40 up front and a 700x35 out back on my Civilian.

Competitive's fit calculator put me at a 59 or a 61. It feels a little big on me but overall I like the way it rides. I had to put a shorter stem on it to bring the reach back to a more comfortable level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info!
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post

So, your civilian, any reason why fenders couldn't be put on it? Like these?

Roadracer | Crud-products

Rather than a rear rack to strap a lunch box/bag to, as I ride with a Velo Transit Edge 40 backpack that carries my work stuff (2 laptops, cables, documents, etc), so no room for lunch, I could look at handle bar mounts for something to carry my lunch. This might then make a pretty nice commuter and cyclocross bike for me with only a slight tweak to go either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    How heavy is the the Civilian Vive Le Roi frame? I heard it was pretty beefy 4130 - similar to the Surly Cross Check. The Poprad isn't a featherweight built up, but the frame is light for steel.
    It is pretty porky. I never weighed it but I would guess my 61cm was in the 28-30lb range. I think a lighter wheelset would go a long way with this bike. Another owner weighed his wheelset and I think he said it came to 2300g w/o rotors and cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    So, your civilian, any reason why fenders couldn't be put on it? Like these?

Roadracer | Crud-products

Rather than a rear rack to strap a lunch box/bag to, as I ride with a Velo Transit Edge 40 backpack that carries my work stuff (2 laptops, cables, documents, etc), so no room for lunch, I could look at handle bar mounts for something to carry my lunch. This might then make a pretty nice commuter and cyclocross bike for me with only a slight tweak to go either way.
    The frame doesn't have the traditional braze ons for racks/fenders, but something like that would probably work. With that specific one you may run into some issues where those fenders are supposed to attach up at the brakes (Civilian is disc only). The rear could probably be made to work since it has a seat stay brace up there but the front may be more challenging. There may be other disc only specific fenders out there that could work better...not sure.
    Signature

mtbr member
    How come there are so many folks here named Clyde or Fred.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Clyde on a Cyclocross for Commuting and Fun - recommendations and thoughts?

So....I opted to convert my 2006 Trek 2100 ZR road bike to my commuter. It has Kysuriun SL wheels already on it and I put on Bontrager RL All Weather 700x25 Plus tires on them, added SKS Raceblade XL fenders, and will find a rack that I like. I still have another road bike for pure road rides.

Since it looks like I'm not going to get a cyclocross bike, I've now got my sights set on a fatbike! As my true love is mountain biking, and I love my rigid SS on Ardent 2.4s, and I want to ride in the snow and on the sand.

Thanks for everyone's help!