Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10

    Idea! Choose my new rig for my epic commute!

    Help me choose my commuter bike. My commute will be 30+ miles and I want to ride something durable and efficient.

    Commute on Strava
    Epic Bike Commute | Strava Route

    Fuji Cross 1.1 $2099
    Fuji Bikes | ROAD | CYCLOCROSS SERIES | CROSS 1.1

    Salsa Warbird II $2399
    2014 Warbird 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

    Raleigh RX 2.0 $1,750
    Raleigh Bicycles - RX 2.0

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eric Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    477
    Hey, that's a 'tough' commute. Is that a road, gravel or single track terrain?

    Looking at the bikes, they all share a very similar paper spec, but the best way to make an informed choice is to ride all of them if possible. Some bikes will be quite different in feel despite having similar spec's. As to componentry, they are again similar, but take note of the Salsa, the cassette has a 30tooth cog, the others, 28. It may make a difference. Durability will be similar across this selection due the typical 105 used. Take note of saddle preference and change at time of purchase to set up well.

    Otherwise your choice, looks like at least a 2hr commute in one of the directions.

    Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    201
    Save Up to 60% Off Titanium Cyclocross Bicycles | Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium | Cross Bikes

    My vote. They also have an Ultegra version right in your price range. I have been on the rim braked version for a few years now. Great bike and a great price.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    121
    Don't forget about our good friend Jake. I bought this to be my commuter since the path includes about 9 miles of dirt roads. Unless I can find more.
    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | CYCLOCROSS | JAKE THE SNAKE
    Flotilla or Buffet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the feedback, my commute will be 30 miles of steep climbs on seasonal paved roads with a 5 mile section of dirt road. I'm moving to a CX bike to lighten up for the 4,400' climb home.

    I've been riding a 2007 Salsa El Mariachi with a Fox float 34 fork, XT drive train (1x10 custom :-), XT brakes, XTR pedals, Carver Ti seat post, Carver headset, and Stan's Flow EX with Hope hubs.

    Lots of climbing out here and I'm sick of riding in hero mode on my heavy cross country mtb.

    I am unfamiliar with Fuji but their wheels look better than the Raleigh. I love the Salsa brand but the 4,400' of climbing is real so I need to focus on purchasing a lighter cx bike.

    I will try to ride the Fuji this week and the Raleigh with the possibility of upgrading to Iron Cross wheels.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    875
    For that kind of mileage I would at least test a steel frame or two.

    From the options you posted I'd go with the salsa, primarily for the wheels and fork. You do need to run pretty low pressures with the iron cross rim but probably not as low as your mountain bike.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  7. #7
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Help me choose my commuter bike. My commute will be 30+ miles and I want to ride something durable and efficient.

    Commute on Strava
    Epic Bike Commute | Strava Route

    Fuji Cross 1.1 $2099
    Fuji Bikes | ROAD | CYCLOCROSS SERIES | CROSS 1.1

    Salsa Warbird II $2399
    2014 Warbird 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

    Raleigh RX 2.0 $1,750
    Raleigh Bicycles - RX 2.0
    Don't know too much about the Fuji but the Warbird and Raleigh were both on my radar. The Raleigh is a lot of bike for the money. It's also been turned into more of race machine for 2014. Good luck
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FatCloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    196
    My vote is to Salsa. This seems to be what the Warbird is made for.

    Also, don't get a bikesdirect bike. **** that ****. Also, shame on anyone who recommends you by one.


    I am also super envious of your commute. I had a variable 5 - 15 mile commute (flat road) in Buffalo, NY. To now where I ride 5 minutes to BART. The time is the same, but no riding. It sucks. It makes me want to leave here so bad. But I go back to school in the spring then hopefully I can live somewhere with a commute again.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    My 2007 Salsa El Mariachi has been a champ. I originally rode it in Upstate, NY, NYC and now at 10,000" accross the Wasatch Crest Trail in Park City, UT.

    I saw a review that the Warbird weighs 26lbs. The Fuji will about 20lbs. That adds up going uphill in a head wind on a 100 day.

    I will keep doing my homework and appreciate everyone's input. Trust me I am going to make this dream commute happen!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TonyTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    88
    I have the 2014 Fuji Cross 1.1. I really like the bike. It weighs right at 2O pounds. So far it has handled everything I have thrown its way.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    On the way home from work I stopped by one of SLC's LBS. They only had two cx bikes both made by Specialized. I test rode the a 2013 Crux Custom Carbon 56cm. It was originally marked $3,000 it was discounted to $2,300. The frame was nice but the 105 drive train, DT Swiss wheels and caliper brakes were disappointing. The bike felt tiny compared to my 29er. The LBS offered a $150 credit if I wanted to upgrade the wheels. I''ve been riding a steel bike for so long I am not used to the feel or lack of from carbon. I really wish the Salsa Warbird was lighter.

    I am trying hard to find a Fuji to test ride in SLC.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    My vote is to Salsa. This seems to be what the Warbird is made for.

    Also, don't get a bikesdirect bike. **** that ****. Also, shame on anyone who recommends you by one.


    I am also super envious of your commute. I had a variable 5 - 15 mile commute (flat road) in Buffalo, NY. To now where I ride 5 minutes to BART. The time is the same, but no riding. It sucks. It makes me want to leave here so bad. But I go back to school in the spring then hopefully I can live somewhere with a commute again.
    Yeah. Seriously. Shame on anyone who recommends a bike they own, have ridden extensively for years, and love. Shame on them for suggesting a bike that offers a Ti frame for less than the cheapest aluminum framed bike OP is considering. Shame on them for sure.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Hey Sleeveless, I came across the Motobecane Ti full ad on Bikes Direct a few times before I saw your post. The offer seemed to be to good to be true and when you click on the size button it says out of stock.

    Don't stress, tell me about your bike. Ti is an appealing frame material.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Boardman Bikes CXR/9.0 looks promising!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Hey Sleeveless, I came across the Motobecane Ti full ad on Bikes Direct a few times before I saw your post. The offer seemed to be to good to be true and when you click on the size button it says out of stock.

    Don't stress, tell me about your bike. Ti is an appealing frame material.
    I'm not stressed. It simply bothers me when people trash a bike they've never owned, and insult someone making a legitimate suggestion. All why giving no reason at all why you shouldn't buy from them more than a "Because I said so." Bikes Direct bikes are so cheap because there is no middle man (dealers) and very little marketing. The quality of their bikes is not reflected by the price, IMO. I do not recommend them as first time bikes without someone who knows components and geometry to help with the purchase.

    I have personal experience with three of their cross bikes. As I said I own the Ti framed version and have put two friends into Al framed versions. If you are happy with an Al frame like the others you are looking at, you can save yourself some serious money over the bikes you posted. If you want to spend around what those bikes cost, you are into BD Ti price range. Either way, you get the most bike for your money I've seen from any manufacturer.

    My bike has been great. It is certainly not perfect, and I would say the fork and wheels are leave the biggest room for improvement. The fork could certainly be stiffer, and the wheels are not light (but they are bombproof). I like that I can fit 40c tires on mine, meaning I can tackle real singletrack on it. Mine from a few years ago came with cantis and is disc compatible, but I think all of the Ti versions are disc from the factory now. I was pleasantly surprised to see mine came with shaped tubing, which I wasn't expecting at this price point, and the welds are as clean as my previous Litespeed road bike. If you are making a decision strictly on bang for your buck, the Al will serve you well, and leave you plenty of money left over to personalize it.

  16. #16
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    407
    Just curious why you're looking for a CX bike. Last time I took that route, I don't think anything warranted a CX bike. If I were you, I would either get a road bike, or something like a Salsa Vaya (touring) with maybe 700x28 tires. I haven't ridden there for a bit, but Emigration Canyon is always a fun ride (although a bit dangerous with no shoulder). I think I saw a Vaya at Cyclesmith last time I was in there.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Stremf, my plan is to ride the 6+ mile seasonal B-road through Mormon Flats and Big Spring. I'm so used to riding my 29er a Cyclocross bike will feel nimble. I saw that Salsa at Cyclesmithand it was a nice frame. I already have my Salsa el Mariachi and wanted to try something new. In July, I am considering riding the new CX bike in the Cedar City Dirt Fondo instead of the Salsa. It's a 100k event with 7,500' of elevation gain.

    Today I purchased a Boardman CXR 9.0 it will be a fun addition to my reliable 29er.

  18. #18
    LFJ
    LFJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Stremf, my plan is to ride the 6+ mile seasonal B-road through Mormon Flats and Big Spring. I'm so used to riding my 29er a Cyclocross bike will feel nimble. I saw that Salsa at Cyclesmithand it was a nice frame. I already have my Salsa el Mariachi and wanted to try something new. In July, I am considering riding the new CX bike in the Cedar City Dirt Fondo instead of the Salsa. It's a 100k event with 7,500' of elevation gain.

    Today I purchased a Boardman CXR 9.0 it will be a fun addition to my reliable 29er.
    i saw an earlier post that stated the warbird 2 weighs 26lbs. i am very interested in the warbird 2 and was just curious if you confirmed that actual weight or test rode it. it is very hard to find a review of the salsa that lists a weight so i am afraid it truly is that heavy. thanks.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    LFJ, I wanted Warbird really bad but being a happy Salsa owner I knew it was going to be heavy. I think I saw the review on Bike Radar or a similar website. The reviewer was hold a scale and hoisted up the bike and showed the weight. I will look for the link I truly love Salsa products but I needed to get a more efficient bike.

    Here is the proof that I need to switch from riding my 29er on these big Utah accents. Today's training ride on Strava slowly preparing for my Epic commute:

    Check out my 35.5 mi Ride on Strava: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Ranch Road to Top of Little Emigration Canyon near Park City | Times and Records | Strava

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Stemf, today I got a flat in my 29er tubless Specialized Fast Track rear tire ironically at the Mormon Flat. Since I am running Stan's I was able to add some sealant and air for a quick fix. It has me thinking about what I'll need for the new CX bike.

  21. #21
    LFJ
    LFJ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    217
    Thanks. I will look to see if I can find that link. The Salsa dealers in my area don't have a warbird in stock for me to weigh or test ride.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    269
    I would get the Gunnar Hyper-X for $975 frame only: Gunnar Cycles USA ? Hyper-X Disc Cross hand-built bicycle frames if you want to run discs; or the Crosshairs for $900 w/ cantis: Gunnar Cycles USA, CrossHairs for Gravel or ?Cross Riding

    Then build it up with the new Shimano 10 5800 groupset when it comes out in October: Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles

    ...or if you can find a used Lemond Poprad (with True Temper Platinum OX steel) it is an sweet frame.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
    Bikes Direct bikes are so cheap because there is no middle man (dealers) and very little marketing. The quality of their bikes is not reflected by the price, IMO. I do not recommend them as first time bikes without someone who knows components and geometry to help with the purchase.
    The components on these bikes are not good. Also, the 'build' on these bikes is terrible: no grease; un-torqued bolts; spoke tension of wet noodles.

    If you do your own work, by all means, get one of these bikes. If you have to pay a shop to go through the bike and assemble it properly, expect to add a $100. I had to tell a guy the other day his frame was unsafe because the headset was not tightened and oval-ized the headset cups. This was on top of a new crank arm because he stripped the left-hand thread. Poor guy bought a $500 bike and has to spend $700 to replace it.

  24. #24
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    I would get the Gunnar Hyper-X for $975 frame only: Gunnar Cycles USA ? Hyper-X Disc Cross hand-built bicycle frames if you want to run discs; or the Crosshairs for $900 w/ cantis: Gunnar Cycles USA, CrossHairs for Gravel or ?Cross Riding

    Then build it up with the new Shimano 10 5800 groupset when it comes out in October: Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles

    ...or if you can find a used Lemond Poprad (with True Temper Platinum OX steel) it is an sweet frame.
    As much as i love gunnar that 32c tire limit is a total deal breaker. Been looking for a poprad....
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,869
    The only thing about the warbird is that there are no braze-ons for mounting a rack or fenders...that's a deal breaker for me.

    I'd be considering the Raleigh Tamland, All-City Macho Man, or Surly Straggler if I were you.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help choose: RM Element 950rsl vs Speshy Epic Comp
    By PrisonCityStandout in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM
  2. Bike Commute vs Bike/Bus Combo Commute
    By Solomon76 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
  4. last DST commute
    By jrm in forum Commuting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
  5. EPIC Bike Commute Video!
    By rhoward in forum Commuting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •