mtbr member

Chinese Carbon Vs. Kona Jake the Snake

Seriously considering one of the 2 frames for my next build. Which would you choose and why? Or would you choose a different frame that's off my radar?

My desirables are:
    BB30 or PF30 compatible
    Lightweight (4.5 pounds max for frame and fork)
    Cantilever posts
    $600 or less

I'm leaning towards the Chinese carbon because it's much lighter and I dig the matte black carbon look, and I'm also between sizes on the Kona. My main concern with the Chinese blank is dealing with any warranty issues/problems with an overseas retailer.

Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is the geometry similar? My cx bike has a slightly higher front end than my road bike ('07 tri-cross, sloping top tube, compact geometry?), and it's very comfortable with my hands on the tops, and I even go to the drops while racing, I very rarely use the drops on my road bikes. Even though it's only 1cm higher and both are 61cm frames, the difference in ride comfort is really significant. If one has a higher front end (head tube length) I'd go with that one.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply! The china CX has shorter wheelbase, shorter head tube, and is a little steeper up front than the Kona. Not by much though. Good point about the head tube length. I'll definitely take that into consideration
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim