mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Chinese Carbon disc Cross bikes

I've seen those carbon disc cross frames on ebay for around $500, who's riding them? and what are your thoughts, pro's and cons?
    Post pictures if you have any, I've seen one on this site a couple of months ago.
    I've got one on my watch list on ebay, just want more info, thanks.

mtbr member
    Just don't do it. Save the money and buy a frame from a reputable company, or take the $500 and put a down payment on a new frame.

I've worked on enough of these frames to know they're mostly junk. The problems include: poor frame alignment; missing threaded inserts; uneven carbon layups; one had a BB shell that was on a 2-3 degree incline to the drive side; etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think it depends on who the seller/manufacturer is. Lots have bought 29er HT & FS and are happy. Think for the most part they bought directly not on fleabay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I know bikes pretty well, been in the bike business for sometime now. A few years ago at Interbike, I was impressed with the quality of most of the Chinese carbon builders, also quite a few have posted about other carbon bikes and have raved about them. I was wondering about the carbon cross bikes, since I have not seen any post in regards to them.
    I can get about any frame I want(for a price of course) just thought the ebay carbon bikes looked decent.

mtbr member
    onto my second chinese carbon frame (by choice, wanted a shorter wheelbase disc frame than the CX i had).
    second one literally just arrived, havent finished building it up yet.

finish, alignment, etc has all been spot on on both frame. one was BSA, the other is BB30.
    only issue i had was the new seatpost was a tiny bit too large/tight. confirmed it was the post and not the frame as the 2 posts off my alloy track bike fit perfectly in the frame. gave the bottom a quick touch up with a bit of sand paper and it's perfect. (resin must have been a touch thicker at the bottom)

Flyxii FR-602 (disc CX)

Flyxii FR-320 (disc road)
    Designs by Mitch - for all your drafting and design requirements!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have thought about one of those for next CX season, although I am probably going to stick with rim brakes. I have a 29er frame and I love it.

If you are set on a Chinese frame I would stay away from ebay and go with one of the sellers directly. I went with Dengfu on the recommendation of a buddy, but people are getting good frames from other sellers as well.

I bought a road bike off ebay about 3 years ago and I was not impressed. It was way too noodly. The mountain bike from Dengfu has been great, and I am planning on going back to them when CX season rolls around. Check out roadbikereview.com and you will see hundreds of people talking about their Chinese road frames. I would venture to guess that the CX frames would be fine as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm not "set" on the bikes on eBay so much, rather using them as a reference.
    This is exactly the responses I'm looking for, pros and cons, ride and build reports and general concerns regarding those frames.
    I'm really leaning towards the Pivot Vault, but was thinking since I'm new to cross, maybe something more entry level, I don't know. I've heard excellent reports of Chinese Carbon builds in other forums, thought I would see if those carry over to the cross bikes I've seen.

Bellydraft
    Mitchy, what wheel setup is on the cx bike? Is it a qr or 15mm thru axle up front? I'm just starting my quest for wheels for my tcx and want something I can roadrace with. Yours look pretty sick. Also wondering how big a single ring you were able to find for that crank.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    How much would it cost to build up one of these frames on a budget? I'm looking to add a cross bike to my stable and thought I might go this direction.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Lusting after a Niner RLT9.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Chinese Carbon disc Cross bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    How much would it cost to build up one of these frames on a budget? I'm looking to add a cross bike to my stable and thought I might go this direction.
    As always, that completely depends on your components. The frames by themselves are about $550 shipped. The Chinese carbon wheelsets are another $410, etc.

Go nuts:
    http://flyxii.com/products.asp