mtbr member
    Mar 2008

chinese carbon cyclo-cross frame with disc mounts in a 49cm or 50 cm size ?

i have searched and although some claim to be a 50cm.

the actual geometry chart indicates they are a 52cm.

i want to go with the next size smaller than a 52 or 51.7 .

has anyone found a vendor with the smaller 49cm cross frame

and want to share where they found it ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i think i found one.

i am anxious to give this project a try.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    yeah the IP-105-D seems to be $600 and kinda nice. haven't found any external reviewer/buyer yet tho. You guys seems to have quite a bit of chat in the mtb frames section tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    haven't found any external reviewer/buyer yet though.
    I purchased a couple of the IP-105-D from Peter which my wife and I got to break in with a week of road riding on the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage. Although we got frame and fork, I opted to use only the frame and built them up with Enve CX tapered disc cross forks and carbon seat post. We got 3K matt finish with custom paint/logos and the finished product is very nice and overall I am very pleased with but there were a few very, very minor things that have been observed.

First off I love the ride and feel but would say anyone considering the frame needs to be sure to carefully analyze the geometry charts as the top tube is fine but the seat tube height of the wife's 54 is a bit tall and seems closer to what I would expect of a size 56 which with DA shifters and deraileurs, SRM, FSA carbon stem/bars, Enve carbon post, and Enve Twenty9 XC clinchers, weighed in at 16.45 lbs.

Assembly issues:
    1. Installed Cane Creek 110 series headset and had to use fine grain Emory cloth/block to improve the fit for both the upper and lower headset bearings.
    2. While I am a fan of internal cable runs and ran full length brake housing for mechanical disc calipers, during assembly I found the clearance were the cables exit under the bottom bracket to be a bit tight. We are using Dura Ace 7900 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano 9000 front derailleur, as well as 9000 shift cables. I ran Jagwire L3 liners run full length connected between Shimano's nosed ferules which makes for some tedious cable routing/liner fishing.

-- I may opt for Yokozuna brake cables but for now, Shimano 9000 brake cable housing is run full length with TRP Spyre SLC calipers and had to be run from the rear forward. The brake cable can be run over the top of the internal alloy BB30 bottom bracket liner but I did not want to have to remove the cranks should I need to replace the housing. So using the default routing under the bottom bracket, I had to remove the port covers after which I found the slit for the cables to be a very tight fit which scuffs/nicks the cable housing as it is fed up the inside of the down tube from the bottom bracket. I suspect that lubing the housing or even using fine grit Emory cloth to widen the opening mitigate this issue.

Ride:
    Out on the bike, we rode in the rain from start to finish on 3 of our 6-days, so lots of mud/fine grain grit and bikes were pretty dirty at the end of each day. Ride is nice and stable and very responsive when out of the saddle. Of course after the first day having ridden in the ran all day, I noticed the black pan head, hex screws that secure all the cable ports are zinc coated and exhibited rust trails so should probably replace them with stainless or apply a light cote of lube as a temporary prevention. We are running BB30 Hollowgram SRM's with the new 109 mm road spindles and I observed a minor issue as a result of soupy grit getting 'sandwiched' between the flat face on the back side of the SRM and the bottom bracket shell which caused very minor scuffing of finish of the stay about 1.5-2 cm behind the spindle but I doubt that would be an issue with a crank with a regular (non-SRM) crank spider.

chinese carbon cyclo-cross frame with disc mounts  in a 49cm or 50 cm size ?-286224d1378385242-cyclocross-specific-chinese-carbon-img_5439.jpg
    Last edited by ms6073; 10-22-2013 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for this
    it sounds pretty good actually - and yeah, geometry is always a bit tricky on "remote buys" as i call em, at least for me too ;-)

mtbr member
    Hi,

Like MS6073 I went for the IP-105-d. Here is my review.

PURCHASING

I dealt with Bert via email. The purchase was seamless. Sent it via PayPal and received a delivery confirmation with tracking. A day later Bert sent me an email explaining they had forgotten to put the fork in the box and provided a further tracking number.

I did have some slight concerns over this but a week later the forks actually turned up first! The following day the frame turned up too.

FRAME FINISH AND QUALITY

The build of the frame (in 3K gloss) was pretty good overall. There was a minor blemish on the carbon at one of the cable ports and the mudguard bolt on the seat stay was not fitted completely square. I would guess these would fail quality control for a big name manufacturer but neither affect the use of the frame.

I was a bit concerned that the 1.5 bearing for the headset was not a snug fit in the frame. There was a tiny amount of play which I had never seen in a cartridge type headset. However, there is no play when fitted so it wasn't an issue. The carbon plug supplied was to big for the forks by about a mm. An ITM one fitted fine and Bert sent me an extra mech hanger as compensation.

Building the frame up was fairly straight forward. All the threads were fine and the guides for the cable routing helped a lot.

The only issue I had was with the post mounts for the callipers (TRP Spyres). Set as far inboard as they would go the inner pad as rubbing. It was an easy fix though. I just shimmed the discs using 1mm washers and it lined up perfectly. Just shows that these frames are not perfect.

The head tube and stack height were about 1cm higher than I expected. This meant a 6 degree stem fully slammed was too high for my position. I swapped it for a 17 degree stem with a 1 cm spacer which got my desired saddle handlebar drop. A bit old school going to a horizontal stem but I actually quite like the look.

RIDE

I bought this frame as it was a good mix of angles for both CX and general road use. It is very stiff but also soaks up the road bumps well. The handling is fairly neutral which is what I would expect for a 72.5 degree head angle.

Off road it handles the tight stuff well and there have been no issues in muddy conditions for gears or mud clearance.

There is a bit of toe overlap which makes track stands at the lights interesting. I need to remember to drop my heel to prevent an embarrassing fall!! In the four CX rides/races I have done so far I have only had Brrrrrrrrr of the shoe catching the tyre twice. No overlap would be better but I have had this on frames before and you adapt.

Here are some pics of the build. I went for some custom graphics based on Giant TCR ones.

Regards

IMG_20131118_121243_156-1 by spangel great, on Flickr

IMG_20131118_093420_407 by spangel great, on Flickr

IMG_20131118_093403_440 by spangel great, on Flickr

IMG_20131118_093328_737 by spangel great, on Flickr
    Last edited by spangelsaregreat; 11-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?