Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

First Look:2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle New cyclocross bicycle carbon frame, View 2015 cyclocross bike frame, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Hey did a forum search and didn't return anything for 'FM285'. Im considering purchasing this frame because it has everything im looking for: disc, bb30, tapered steerer, and through axle. Now I know we all talk about the Chinese frames but my biggest concern is the through axle. how has your Chinese carbon 142x12 frame held up? anyone have any intrest in this frame?

Specifications

2015 cyclocross frame
    rear142X12mm thru axle
    front 100X15mm thru axle
    bottom braket PF30/BB30/BSA

Item:
    FM285
    Size:
    50cm,52cm,54cm,56cm,58cm
    Weave:
    UD
    Finished:
    To order
    Type:
    Thru axle cyclocross
    Material:
    Hight Modulus Toray Carbon Fiber
    Brake Type
    Disc Brake (front and rear 160mm rotor)
    Frame rear spacer:
    142mmX12mm thru axle
    Fork spacer :
    100mmX15mm thru axle
    Head tube:
    Taper 1-1/8” to 1-1/2”
    Seat Tube:
    For diameter 31.6mm seat post
    Cable:
    Internal cable
    Groupset:
    Di2 and Machine compatible
    Bottom Bracket
    BB30 and BSA
    Tire size:
    700X38C
    Warranty:
    2 years

mtbr member
    I suspect that as there are currently only CAD drawings available, that frame will likely not be available for shipment for ~4-6 months.

Formerly of Kent

There are hundreds of satisfied IP-057 buyers in the 29er forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Not sure I would want through axles on a true CX bike, especially if you are racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Subscribed. I am also very interested in that frame. Please post your findings :-)

The Brutally Handsome
    Sounds interesting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I contacted the seller:
    The frame is available in about 45 days.
    I will definitely order one in size 54.
    As soon as it will be here, I will post images of my build.

Group: Ultegra Di2
    STI: ST-R785
    Brakes: BR-RS785
    Discs: SM-RT99 140mm (Centerlock)
    Wheelset: DT Swiss X 1700 Spline Two 29" (Centerlock)

According to a DT Swiss rep, the new 2015 Spline thru axle wheelsets will accommodate 11-speed road-cassettes without problems, despite beeing MTB 10sp. I really hope thats true...
    DT Swiss - X 1700 Spline TWO 29
    (If you have more infos, please post

They go for 460€ right now: Bike24 - DT Swiss X 1700 SPLINE TWO 29" Wheelset Centerlock Front: 15x100mm/QR | Rear: 12x142mm/QR
    I think thats a very fair price, considering the Shimano WH-RX830 (no thru axle) costing double the price and are 160g heavier..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by abyssal View Post
    I contacted the seller:
    The frame is available in about 45 days.
    I will definitely order one in size 54.
    As soon as it will be here, I will post images of my build.
    I am looking to build a cross bike and want thru axles (I doubt I'll ever ride another off-road bike without them). This frame seems to fit the bill. I contacted miraclebikes which has the frame on their website and they don't seem to know when it will be available. The frame geometry seems to be the same as their MC105 frames (which makes sense, a lot easier to modify an existing frame than create a new geo), they could not confirm that however, though the person I talked to thought it was the case.

I did get detailed 105 frame specs from her (full cad drawing pdfs) for both the 54 and 52 frames, as well as the fork, and while the wb is a bit short for the size (very square geo) it might be just what I was looking for (better handling for a slight toe overlap on the 52). I am undecided yet. Still doing some calculations and comparisons.

Anyways, what seller did you contact that gave you a quote of 45 days?

Did they give you a price?

mtbr member
    In for price! specs seem strange to have seat tube length and TT length identical tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyver View Post
    Hi
    I contacted the alibaba-seller (Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd.):
    First Look:2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle New cyclocross bicycle carbon frame, View 2015 cyclocross bike frame, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

I am in contact with Mr. James Pan.
    I did not request a price till yet and only asked for aviability, it will be in the typical range for a chinese seller as quotet on alibaba (US $ 420 - 650 per Set)

James Pan
    Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd.
    T: 086 755 89990635 | F: 086 755 89990595
    E: info@featbikes.com
    W: Full Carbon bike
    Products Showroom on Alibaba.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    In for price! specs seem strange to have seat tube length and TT length identical tho.
    It's actually pretty standard. The measure for seat tubes from BB center to the top of the seat tube is a poor measurement, since the part after the connector between the seat tube and top tube is inconsequential to all of the measurements that make any difference to anyone doing frame sizing. The actual seat tube height is 480mm (from BBC to ST/TT connection) on the 52, and 500mm on the 54. This is definitely in the "normal" range.

The only "strange" (less common) part of the geo is that on the small and medium frames, they still come close to the "sweet spot" angles on the ST and HT (73/73). Most companies spread those angles out more (especially the head tube angle, at least on cross bikes) to increase the front center distance (between BB and front axle) and eliminate toe overlap (TO). These particular frames (the FM/MC105 and maybe the 285s) do not. What this gives is a lower trail (and flop) and increased capacity to shift your center of gravity around, so both you and your bike are more agile, at the expense of potential toe overlap, at least on the smaller frames with bigger 700c tires.

I personally don't care overmuch about toe overlap, as I am pretty agile on a bike, and can overcome it with ease, especially on a sub 18lb small bike. On the 52 with 35c tires, according to my calculations (i would normally be sized for a 54-55 top tube) I will have ~15mm TO, and can reduce that to next to nothing by increasing the stance width.

Another way to eliminate TO (if it is problematic, which really is debatable) is to go with smaller wheels/tires. When I find the right frame for my build (very possibly this one), I am considering getting a set of 650b wheels and as large tires as I can fit. (it looks from the cad drawings I might be able to fit 48c, but 44c should be easy). A best of all possible worlds bike with a wheel change, booya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    @abyssal

Thank you. Please keep us posted on any updates you receive from the distributor!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abyssal View Post
    I contacted the seller: The frame is available in about 45 days.
    Based on past experiences, this sounds a lot like marketing speak from the manufacturer (Hint - its not Feat or Miracle) which has not actually started producing the frame but is tooling up for production while gauging how much demand there will be. Typically, availability for a new frame can span 30-60 days once the first images of an actual frameset appear on the trading companies website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

BB drop?

I am looking to build a cross bike and want thru axles (I doubt I'll ever ride another off-road bike without them). This frame seems to fit the bill. I contacted miraclebikes which has the frame on their website and they don't seem to know when it will be available. The frame geometry seems to be the same as their MC105 frames (which makes sense, a lot easier to modify an existing frame than create a new geo), they could not confirm that however, though the person I talked to thought it was the case.

I did get detailed 105 frame specs from her (full cad drawing pdfs) for both the 54 and 52 frames, as well as the fork, and while the wb is a bit short for the size (very square geo) it might be just what I was looking for (better handling for a slight toe overlap on the 52). I am undecided yet. Still doing some calculations and comparisons.

Any information on BB-drop? Can you post a pic of the 105 geo :-)

Regards /Johan

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    52 geo here: Miraclebikes MC105-D-520

54 here: MC105-D-540

And fork here: MC105-D-Fork

BB drop is 65mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has anybody anything new to report about the frame and fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A search on alibaba turned up a new result; pictures of the actual frame and not just CAD drawings.

At least I haven't seen it before. It looks beautiful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi, new to forum, lurker for years though

I've actually bought one of these frames from ICAN Bikes, though they call it the AC109. My desired spec was made in ten days and posted. Took 45 days to reach Ireland due to various problems in China (October holiday etc.) Once out of China it was here in two or three days. While I've received it I actually haven't seen it yet (delivered elsewhere). But if any of you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing snake View Post
    Hi, new to forum, lurker for years though

I've actually bought one of these frames from ICAN Bikes, though they call it the AC109. My desired spec was made in ten days and posted. Took 45 days to reach Ireland due to various problems in China (October holiday etc.) Once out of China it was here in two or three days. While I've received it I actually haven't seen it yet (delivered elsewhere). But if any of you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    The AC109 does not appear to be thru-axle on their site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
    The AC109 does not appear to be thru-axle on their site.
    So what I did is order dropouts for qr and TA should I switch to that going forward. Fork is only Qr though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will it be possible to mount fenders/mudguards and even rack on these frames?

Rgs

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by n1x0n View Post

Rgs
    I can only speak for the Ican models; so not on the AC109 as it has no eyelets, but it is possible on one of their other ones, the AC058 I think.

Collected frame today, still have to unwrap it but all looks good so far

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Rgs
    From the pics, it seems the front fork has an eyelet, but the seat stay does not. It looks like it would be quite simple to drill it and bond in an eyelet however. Then you could use something like this that straps on to the fork/seat stays and eyelets for fenders (or their hybrid version for wider tires).

As for the rack, I mounted a regular rack using this for the top mount and a couple electrical insulated p-clamps on the back of the chainstays (5/8" if I remember correctly, <$2 at home depot) on my girlfriends new cross bike. I had to push the racks downtubes into the p-clamps under a little bit of force to make it fit, but it is solid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am not convinced the AC109 is the same frame as the FM285 advertised at miraclebikes and alibaba. It looks like it is the same manufacturer from the pics, but the stats do not match (advertised geometry, tire size, BB type, front fork type (TA is advertised on the FM285), etc.). That doesn't mean it is not, one is a pre-release advertisement, and the other is an actual frame being sold, so who knows. I am just not convinced.

I very much hope it is not, as I really do not like the relaxed geo of the Ican frame. It also is not currently being sold with the front thru axle, which is far more important (with regards to how much of an effect it has on handling, stiffness and feedback in a technical environment) than the rear (although both are nice). We will see when miraclebikes actually starts selling theirs. I will contact them again when the stated time is up (~3 more weeks) and see if they have an updated availability time and frame stats.

@Racing snake: Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em comin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am not convinced the AC109 is the same frame as the FM285 advertised at miraclebikes and alibaba. It looks like it is the same manufacturer from the pics, but the stats do not match (advertised geometry, tire size, BB type, front fork type (TA is advertised on the FM285), etc.). That doesn't mean it is not, one is a pre-release advertisement, and the other is an actual frame being sold, so who knows. I am just not convinced.

I very much hope it is not, as I really do not like the relaxed geo of the Ican frame. It also is not currently being sold with the front thru axle, which is far more important (with regards to how much of an effect it has on handling, stiffness and feedback in a technical environment) than the rear (although both are nice). We will see when miraclebikes actually starts selling theirs. I will contact them again when the stated time is up (~3 more weeks) and see if they have an updated availability time and frame stats.

@Racing snake: Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em comin'.
    Regarding the data provided in the stats. I find it is frequently incorrect to what they are selling (all Chinese frame sellers). Especially on the alibaba listings. While I didn't compare the geo you are right about the BB though, mine was offered in BSA or BB86 not BB30, I chose the BB86. I've received rear drop outs for both qr and TA, but yes the from is QR only as I expected. I wasn't aware that the MB one had TA front. If there's anything you want me to verify against the MB FM285 specs, just ask (now that I had the frame here).

Yea, I'm not sure myself, but these companies are all connected in some way. For example; when I was having difficulty with the shipping I missed a phone call from a Chinese number. A web search brought me to a Miracle bikes alibaba listing. I asked Ican if they were were trying to phone me. To which they replied that it was their sales manager (or similar, I can't remember the exact title), and that he was contacting me to try to resolve my delivery problem!

Will do, not sure if I can post pictures as a newbie here?

mtbr member

!

Will do, not sure if I can post pictures as a newbie here?
    15 posts requirement to post pics fyi

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    15 posts requirement to post pics fyi

Better get asking me some questions so! lol

Quality on this frame by the way looks excellent. Easily as good as the Canyon CF SLX I had in recent years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got a couple questions:

Is the geo on the AC109 as advertised?

How much was it (frame and fork delivered cost) from Ican?

Did you enquire about a TA fork when you ordered?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've got a couple questions:

Is the geo on the AC109 as advertised?

How much was it (frame and fork delivered cost) from Ican?

Did you enquire about a TA fork when you ordered?
    Hi Slyver, sure;
    I've no equipment here to measure the geo properly (apart from the actual tube lengths). So I just verified the size and its bang on 56cm BB centre to top of seat tube and same ETT. I'm less concerned about slack angles as others as I ride a 120mm FS marathon type MTB the rest of the time. So I'm hoping it feels more akin to a MTB then a full-on twitchy road-race bike. Slack angles will also be helpful as the Cx races here can be quite technical. Local roads I train on are often coated with crap from farms so I'd prefer the slack angles there too. Other then all this, for now all I can say is everything looks right, though I know that will be of little use to you.

Frame came with DI2 ports also which I thought I'd have to select as an option. Not that I'll use them but its nice to know should I consider it.

It didn't however come with the internal cable inners like the website pictures. No biggy though, I'll just buy some. I've never had internal cabling before so if any of you could recommend a brand for me...? No bottle-mount bolts or seat collar either.

In or around €450 with free headset, and about 5 sets of spare dropouts/hangers and shipping inclusive. They were happy to under declare the total value for customs too if that is a concern. I didn't haggle on the price at all, I just wanted to get the frameset quick, which didn't happen due to shipping problems. So I've missed a window to build the bike up quickly as I'm pretty busy with other stuff at the moment.

I had a set of hubs on order already so initially ordered the frame with QR only and added the TA rear dropouts as an afterthought. In hindsight I would have ordered F/R TA hubs and looked for a compatible frame/forks like you are though. While I use TA front on my MTB I still think that its 'swings and roundabouts' for Cx bikes. I never found QR to be lacking on a road bike, its still lighter, easier to change the rear in a hurry, etc. A good wheelset might lessen the flex if its a problem?

I need to ask Ican about their recommended torque settings for the fork steerer as I've never before used the internal expander type they sent me. So I'll ask about the option of a front TA while I'm at it and revert with info for you all about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi Racing snake

Did it include the thruaxle? If not which ones did you get for the frame and fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianBak View Post
    Hi Racing snake

Did it include the thruaxle? If not which ones did you get for the frame and fork?
    Although I ordered spare rear TA dropouts the axle itself wasn't included. I haven't bought one yet as I'm using standard QR hubs to begin with. Should I move to TA I'll have to purchase a TA for it. I think that they are about €30-40 for a Shimano type.

Availability of a rear TA release wasn't actually something I asked about when purchasing from Ican, I'd always assumed that they were an aftermarket item.

The fork supplied is QR only. Thats not to say that Ican don't have a TA version available. If you read my previous posts you'll see why I ordered QR, but later TA rear spares also.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBak View Post
    Hi Racing snake

I ordered a TA fork for my mountain bike and I asked them about the axle. They offered to throw in one for $17.

Works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I ordered a TA fork for my mountain bike and I asked them about the axle. They offered to throw in one for $17.

Works fine for me.

Presume you bought a rigid fork model then? (i.e. they don't sell suspension forks, or do they?)

Not to go too far off the OP topic, but which one did you go for? Are you happy with it? If this Cx frame works out well I'll probably buy a 29er from them next year too. They sent a catalog with this order and there is an 'X6' model in it that looks nice.

I've fitted some bits in the last few days. Calipers on, front mech, crown race to fork. Fork lower crown base had been chased by the factory, but I had to lightly sand the thread trail left by the tool to fit the crown race ring. When I say 'sand' I mean just very lightly remove any uneven surfaces. I left the actual area where the ring will rest alone for the proper inteferance fit. Lower headtube bearing surface also needed one or two areas to be sanded where a dot of material was raised. Otherwise the bearing fit was too tight.

I'm just waiting on handlebars now to progress any further.

mtbr member

I ordered the 29er 480 a2c rigid fork for my mountain bike/cx bike. I live in a ubber rocky area so I'm getting beat up pretty bad on mtb trails but I'm loving it for cx. I got that same catalog. I think I'm gonna get a real cx bike and rock there carbon hoops. Then I will go gears n suspension on my mtb bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I ordered the 29er 480 a2c rigid fork for my mountain bike/cx bike. I live in a ubber rocky area so I'm getting beat up pretty bad on mtb trails but I'm loving it for cx. I got that same catalog. I think I'm gonna get a real cx bike and rock there carbon hoops. Then I will go gears n suspension on my mtb bike.

Cool, in hindsight I should have ordered the carbon rims too, perhaps bar and stem also. Next time! A very well respected shop here in Dublin also seems to be ordering the carbon rims in for customers (though tubs only). Not sure if they are Ican or other but it does give me confidence to order and use some myself, if only for Cx racing. The shop isn't currently ordering clinchers, doesn't like the idea of knocking the carbon hooks off curbs, boards etc. But I know of one or two guys running carbon clinchers on their MTB's without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So, anyone got hands on FM285?
    Because I'm going to order it if it's really a thru-axle frameset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    When I last contacted Miraclebikes a couple weeks ago I asked this question (among others):

- "Do you know if the FM285 is still intended for production?"

and her response was:

--- "sorry there only newest cyclocross frame MC-286, sorry the frame MC-285 have not product. we will sell MC-286 in the future"

I am not sure if she was saying that they don't have the MC285 and/or aren't making it now, or if she meant they weren't going to make it period, though that was my intended query. Nevertheless, as far as I can discern, the FM285 does not exist.

The FM286 (or MC286, or HF286, etc., all the same frame, different seller, same manufacturer) is the one that Racing snake bought, and as far as I can tell, the only one that is being sold by Chinese sellers.

I am still not sure if I am going to purchase it yet. I am buying the last pieces I need this week for the full build (11sp crankset and thru axle (convertible) hubs/spokes). I am not a big fan of the shallow head angle and highish bottom bracket of the frame, but it is otherwise very nice. I may move up a couple sizes for a better geo, from a 50 to 54, but I wanted the smaller size for easier technical maneuvering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That brings me to a question I have:

I had never ridden a cross bike up until a few months ago when we bought my GF a new bike. We took it on a trail that was a bit more technical than a proper cross trail and she struggled a bit; so much so she got off her bike and started walking. (She didn't want to do the "carrying thing"). Anyways, we swapped bikes, she to my XC and I took her bike for a spin.

She is pretty tiny at 5'2" and her bike is a 48 (with 515 top tube). I raised the seat up (though I hardly used it) and went balls out. The technical stuff was SO MUCH FUN!!! Flying down hills was so much fun, climbing was a breeze. Most everything was a lot harder and slower than my MTB, but it was honestly the most fun I've had on a bike since my BMX days.

Riding her bike made me think something smaller would be better (~525 top tube). Her bike is not the most comfortable for road riding (though it isn't awful), but I can really rip on the trail. I only have the one cross bike for experience however. Something properly sized for me on the road might be fine on the trails. I am not sure how much to attribute the fun I have on her bike to the size. Does anyone who has more cross experience have any suggestions on this? Should I go with the smaller frame with geometry I am not happy with (by the numbers) or get one more my size?

Its important to consider I could give two figs for cross racing, I just want to have fun on the trails, get a little crazy on technical (I want to feel like I can just whip the bike around, on trails more like AM than cross, which is why I'm thinking smaller), and decent road/gravel riding for exercise and exploration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ah, so MC-286 is the one I was looking for then.

I've just placed an order to Miracle Bikes as the pictures they sent me was indeed thru-axle front and back. Let's see what happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I would make sure that you specify a thru axle fork. That may not be necessary, but some of the pics have the front thru axle, and some don't. Also, Racing snake's did not come with that (though he ordered from Hongfu, not miraclebikes, and did not want it from what he said).

Also, how much did it cost you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Also, does it come with axles to fit the frame? If not, which ones do you plan to use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Re: Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

My MC-286 was about USD 600 from Miracle. I still have not received it yet, but I am willing to post the details once I get it.

The pictures they gave me had indeed thru-axle front and rear, and I am hoping that's what I will actually receive.

For axles, their spec says that it has 100x15 front and 142x12 rear. It does not say whether it comes with axles. Instead, I'm planning to build a wheelset with Novatec D771SB/D772SB-11 and corresponding axles unless there are any other reasonable option.

I hope the wheelset can also fit my other disc road which has MTB-like 135x9 quick release, just by swapping sidecaps.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Finally received the frameset. Still haven't built it, but overall quality looks much higher than my expectation. I don't notice of any visible flaws.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pandaxpress View Post
    Finally received the frameset. Still haven't built it, but overall quality looks much higher than my expectation. I don't notice of any visible flaws.
    Pics plz!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I ordered from Ican Bikes Slyver, not Hongfu. And no, you are correct TA wasn't really a concern. I've done 400km on it by now, Cx race, road, even MTB trails and I really don't see the requirement for TA front (although it would be cool). I couldn't say the same for my MTB, TA is a requirement there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I understand your excitement! Enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    MC-286 detail pics if you are interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxc4fexyq...RQdpgwsaa?dl=0

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That looks really nice. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    MC-286 detail pics if you are interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxc4fexyq...RQdpgwsaa?dl=0
    Great pics pandaexpress!

I confirm that it MC-286 is identical to my AC109. Also the vendors 'Ican' and 'Miracle' appear to be the same. When I was having issues getting mine delivered from Ican I received a call from Miracle bikes to assist. Whether either actually makes the frameset...I'm unsure.

Just some other points to note pandaexpress, or anyone else that may be interested.

You were lucky to have yours delivered with the internal cable sleeves inserted. Mine did not come with any at all making the cabling something of an effort. Make sure to request them if you plan to purchase, they are very difficult to source and I just fitted mine without them. I routed the rear brake cable with a full outer.

I requested BB86, yours is BSA. For those that want BB86 I would possibly advise against it. While one side went in with the usual interferance fit the other went in almost by hand. This suggests either the tolerances are a bit slack or possibly the BB I used (Shimano), was also out of tolerance. Too tight and the bearings don't last long. Too slack and they may creak in the BB shell. Having said this mine has been fine so far and I have a Loctite product that can bridge the gap should the loose side give problems. Long story made short = BSA would be safer.

Other build notes;

Fork crown; had been faced by manufacturer but the tool left a thread making it difficult to fit. I sanded the area ever so slightly and it went on fine.

Bottom 1.5 bearing; a headset was supplied with mine but it was a tigher then normal fit. A few dots of uneven frame bearing seat needed to be removed (by sanding really lightly)

Downtube cable inserts; while its easy to insert a cable outer into the metal inlets the hole behind the one for the brake cable was too small to allow the cable to pass. I had to sand it out about 0.5mm (the frame itself). Only then could the cable be inserted without becoming damaged. (I used Shimano brake cable)

Front mech cable; I'd recommend fitting an inline adjuster after the handlebar tape/before the frame inlet. Otherwise it can be difficult to tension the cable correctly. You probably all know this, but this is my first internal cabled frame.

Steerer preload; Mine came with an Ican headset including expander type preload fitting. I've yet to find the correct torque for this. As I've only had star nuts before on alloy steerers I'm gradually increasing the torque but it always seems to come a bit loose. If anyone can offer advise (thats you pandaexpress! :-) ) please let me know. I'm nervous about overtightening it with the carbon steerer. Ican were hesitant to offer a torque setting.

Bottle bolts; yours came with some, mine didn't. :-(

Alloy dropouts: Be sure to tighten them before use, mine became loose after 150k

Thats it, hope this information assists with your build, or others with theirs. Lovely bike this frame makes, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of yours pandaexpress!?
    Last edited by Racing snake; 12-03-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    I've yet to find the correct torque for this. As I've only had star nuts before on alloy steerers I'm gradually increasing the torque but it always seems to come a bit loose. If anyone can offer advise (thats you pandaexpress! :-) ) please let me know.
    8nm is typically stated for pre-load torque for installing expanders in carbon steer tubes. Not specific to your frame, but Enve has a video

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    8nm is typically stated for pre-load torque for installing expanders in carbon steer tubes. Not specific to your frame, but Enve has a video

8nm! Ok, much higher then a starnut then. I'll have a go at it again, thanks for your help ms6073 ;-)

Edit; oh its only 8nm for the internal wedge, top cap nm would be similar to that of a starnut type headset.
    Last edited by Racing snake; 12-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been trading emails with "Jenny" (or so she/he claims to be!) at Miracle Bikes and, although it's clear that English is not their primary language, have been very happy so far.

I'm about a week from commiting to the frame (MC-286) w/ the intent of having them paint it a single color (adds $50) and ship it to Colorado.
    It'll be done up as a thru axle single speed cross bike w/ TRP Hylex disc brakes. Totaly weird bike that won't get used enough to justify it but for several trip/rides a year, it'll be absolutly perfect.

Thanks to Panda's photos, some of my final questions ae answered. I think I can mod the frame enough to use internal hydro routing though might need to splice two lines together.

Here's what I've learned.
    $480 for frame/fork, $100 or so to ship to the USA, $50 for single color paint.
    $15 for a headset. $30 for thru axles. Rear drops can be either TA or a standard QR (if you've read to this point, that's not news)
    About 2 weeks lead time (though that may be optimistic)
    Their YS Paint site is a pain. Too many color options and not user friendly.
    But, it's what they offer and it'll do.

I've wasted too many emails to her and she always replies quickly and usually answers all my questions.

So thanks- this thread has provided good info.

Panda- Any thoughts on how to run a full length internal hydro hose thru that frame? I figured w/ some possible drilling and screwing around and it could work.
    Am I wrong?

I'm interested in using the WTB Nano 40 tire. Would a 40 be too fat?
    And- More photos please! Of any or all of them.

Thanks everyone. Buying unseen and unknown is never comfy but your posts have helped.

-JCB
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 12-15-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am a little too busy and still yet to build it... but thanks Racing snake for very valuable advice! I'm feeling very confident now.

... and I just fitted mine without them. I routed the rear brake cable with a full outer.

Downtube cable inserts; while its easy to insert a cable outer into the metal inlets the hole behind the one for the brake cable was too small to allow the cable to pass. I had to sand it out about 0.5mm (the frame itself). Only then could the cable be inserted without becoming damaged. (I used Shimano brake cable)
    Actually, I am yet to decide whether I should go full outer with my rear cable disc brake. Last time when I built a fully internal disc brake frameset with a pair of cable disc brake, the friction was awful even when I cover the internal cable with something just look like those sleeves (Shimano part ID: Y80098100).

Maybe it was due to bad frame design..., but I'm also feeling it might be just safer to fit a compressionless outer all the way to the rear.

Steerer preload; Mine came with an Ican headset including expander type preload fitting. I've yet to find the correct torque for this. As I've only had star nuts before on alloy steerers I'm gradually increasing the torque but it always seems to come a bit loose. If anyone can offer advise (thats you pandaexpress! :-) ) please let me know. I'm nervous about overtightening it with the carbon steerer. Ican were hesitant to offer a torque setting.
    I haven't built it so I can't tell much about this one but with my other Chinese full carbon steerer, I was scared of it coming loose during a ride so I made it a bit tight (in my opinion)

Basically, I ...:

(1) Degrease and clean the steerer in and out very carefully
    (2) Put some carbon assembly compounds in and out: tacx.com - Carbon assembly compound
    (3) Stack spacers, stem etc. and tighten it to about 5nm
    (4) Ensure there's no loose space between the spacers, stem and the plug cap by moving my bike back and forward while pulling the front brake and putting some pressure on the handlebar from the top.
    (5) Tighten it further to about 8nm

and I ride very confidentlly.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Congrats on your build! Any pics of yours?

mtbr member
    Haven't ordered it yet but will keep you posted.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    JCB,

I somehow thought you've already built it.
    Anyways, I believe the hydraulic hose should fit (with some work that method Racing snake menthoned) as I think the diameter of regular brake cables and hydro hoses are the same?

I am interested in running hydro but personally I am not sure if I'm a fan of those tall levers...
    Last edited by pandaxpress; 12-15-2014 at 03:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Ha! I thought that was just me.
    Those tall STI levers are about as ugly as a thud buster was back when.
    And yes- function should trump the look, I know I know.
    But- I'd like to see that shape change a bit too.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    JCB,

I somehow thought you've already built it.
    Anyways, I believe the hydraulic hose should fit (with some work that method Racing snake menthoned) as I think the diameter of regular brake cables and hydro hoses are the same?

I am interested in running hydro but personally I am not sure if I'm a fan of those tall levers...
    Regarding the diameter of the hoses, as far as I can see from my different bikes (for Shimano at least) the cable hoses are wider then hydro type. Perhaps this is why I had issue fitting mine in that Ican (read Miracle too) intended for the frame to accept hydro only. The mods I did were the difference between fitting each type. In fact, it was more because of the metal insert/guide rather then the frame in that the angle of insert was very shallow. Notice I don't call it a cable stop too, because it isn't (on mine at least). It actually wouldn't accomodate a non-full outer brake set-up. I ran my outer under the BB, it helps if you leave the BB fitting until last so you have some access through the shell holes for fitting/routing.

Most of us here run back brake/left side, the frame insert also being on the left, which was a little awkward, but its the same on most bikes, just tigher cable turn on a road bike/road bars.

I eventually sorted the steerer too, 8nm on the expander plug and quite a bit of nm (far more then a star nut) on the top cap bolt. Did top cap by feel rather then specific torque, and the bars still rotate nicely. Raced it again yesterday and it was perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just to add, it really is only just the smallest bit of work to fit it. I just removed like 0.5mm at an angle similar to the brake outer. Really easy, and perhaps just my frame required it, yours could be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-ican-1.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-ican-2.jpg

Just two quick pics I have on the phone.

Bar tape is temporary, I can't decide on a colour. Still playing with stem lengths. Pic in the house, if you think the frame finish looks odd its because the frame has Muc-off water disperser sprayed all over the frame after the race/bike wash yesterday. Seat collar is an old broken one I had off a previous Canyon road bike.

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ican 1.jpg 
Views:	1929 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	946846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ican 2.jpg 
Views:	4473 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	946847

Just two quick pics I have on the phone.

Bar tape is temporary, I can't decide on a colour. Still playing with stem lengths. Pic in the house, if you think the frame finish looks odd its because the frame has Muc-off water disperser sprayed all over the frame after the race/bike wash yesterday. Seat collar is an old broken one I had off a previous Canyon road bike.
    What brand is the seatpost? I like it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What brand is the seatpost? I like it!

It's an Easton EC90, the new 2014 version which encloses the bolts more. I have the previous version which I use for XC racing on the MTB but it was a 30.9. The Ican frame takes a 27.2 :-( so I had to buy the newer one.

I'm a big fan of the Easton products (especially the carbon), using the stems and bars also on both those bikes in the picture.

mtbr member
    Thanks Snake.
    I anticipate that the Hylex hoses will slip through w/o too much hassle. I just hope they are long enough.
    There are ways to have long long hoses but it's something I"d like to avoid.
    It's good to see w/ the blue tape. I was considering (since it'll be SS) going w/ a blue F ring and blue tape. But as it's a budget build that's about all the options I'm willing to color up. Although if I have to extend the hoses.... The Goodridge hoses come in blue. Hm.....

Wait.... Aren't I supposed to be Christmas shopping?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought the frame with custom painting and are planning to install the new Shimano ST-RS685 + BR-RS785 Hydraulic Disc when it arrive. Will there be any challenges with these hoses ?

Rgs

mtbr member
    I haven't found anyone that knows for certain yet how your Shimano brakes will work but...

It sounds like, from those that know the most, that with minimal work- they will work.

You may need to modify the frame where the hoses enters and exits.

You may also find that the hoses Shimano supplies with the kit are too short to travel all the way down the down tube, under the BB, and thru the chain stay to the caliper.
    But there are answers for that too.

I haven't ordered my frame so you will have your answers before me.
    Please keep us posted.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just bought the frame with custom painting and are planning to install the new Shimano ST-RS685 + BR-RS785 Hydraulic Disc when it arrive. Will there be any challenges with these hoses ?

Rgs
    That will be really nice. Its actually what I wanted but they weren't available at the time.

Regarding install challenges, I imagine Shimano will use the same high power hydro hose they utilise on the MTB brakes. Its a little thicker then the cable-type outer, so yes there could be some issue on the downtube insert but its pretty easy to modify. When you remove the metal insert just be sure not to fully un-screw the bolt. If you do you will have to retreive the loose receiving side from inside the downtube. Its do-able but frustrating. You can remove/install the metal insert with the bolt 9/10ths loosened, which is finicky...but easier.

The exist point won't be an issue as it is a different insert (plastic/nylon on mine). The outlet is big enough to accomodate any type/brand of hose IMO.

I'd be sure Shimano will supply a full length hose long enough for an XL bike too, just like the MTB kits. Those come installed and bled, but with so many road bikes now having internal cabling I wonder are they supplied the same on the road bike kits? If not you'll have to disconnect, drain or plug the outlet, fit, cut to size if required, refit to caliper, and bleed. Hopefully the latter process is as easy as on the M785 brakes.

Standard rotor size is 160mm by the way.

mtbr member
    Nice write up Snake.
    Thanks.
    That little bit about not unscrewing the bits too far- that'll save me some time.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for advises! Does anyone have any suggestion for an cx/road wheel set for this frame. Ideally 142x12 rear. I did order both standard QR and thru axle rear derailleur just to be safe.

I found an interesting pair in DT Swiss R24 Spline DB and DT Swiss R23 Spline DB but these aren't released until mid of march what I've heard.

Second option is Mavic Aksium One which front can be converted to front thru axle, rear still QR but it's available to order.

Little over my budget.....
    2014 New Design! Farsports Light Wide Cyclocross 38mm Clincher 25mm Wide Carbon U Shape Wheels, View U shape wheels, FARSPORTS/OEM/ODM Product Details from Xiamen Far Sports Industry And Trade Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Rgs

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for advises! Does anyone have any suggestion for an cx/road wheel set for this frame. Ideally 142x12 rear. I did order both standard QR and thru axle rear derailleur just to be safe.

I found an interesting pair in DT Swiss R24 Spline DB and DT Swiss R23 Spline DB but these aren't released until mid of march what I've heard.

Second option is Mavic Aksium One which front can be converted to front thru axle, rear still QR but it's available to order.

Little over my budget.....
    2014 New Design! Farsports Light Wide Cyclocross 38mm Clincher 25mm Wide Carbon U Shape Wheels, View U shape wheels, FARSPORTS/OEM/ODM Product Details from Xiamen Far Sports Industry And Trade Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Rgs
    -What is your budget?
    -Are you running 10 or 11speed?
    -Would you be adverse to getting a set built?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    -What is your budget?
    -Are you running 10 or 11speed?
    -Would you be adverse to getting a set built?
    Aiming to buy complete wheel set for around 350 Euro. I plan to run shimanos new 5800 series 11-speed. I'm not sure if Shimano ST-RS685 is backward compatibility with 10-speed ?

Rgs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Aiming to buy complete wheel set for around 350 Euro...
    11s is compatible with 10s wheelset as long as you use 11s sprockets but remove the lowest cog and put enough spacer to tighten the sprockets. I used to do this on my budget wheelset and 5800 levers/sprockets.

Anyway, if I were on a budget, I'll get either:
    * Shimano's RX-series wheelsets such as WH-RX31 which is compatible with road 11s and it's very affordable, or...
    * A custom wheelset built around Shimano's MTB hubs such as XT which is definitely 10s so I'll need to make 11s into 10s

Personally, I'm getting a thru-axle wheelset built around Novatec's D771/D772SB with those Pillar spokes from one of those Chinese shops soon, but if I had enough budget, I'll get something built around DT Swiss/Sapim CX-Ray.

mtbr member
    Well the Christmas shopping is behind me. Now I can look more closely at the budget to see if I should swing this project.
    Mostly replying just to keep this thread alive and near the top until I have a frame to show you all!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=Racing snake;11639044]Click image for larger version. 

What brake calipers did you go with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    [QUOTE=c1gary;11672207]

What brake calipers did you go with?
    The Ultegra level BR-Cx77's. A really simple caliper that works well.

Shimano BR-CX77 mechanical disc brake review review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My temporary build:

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-hdr_00021_normal.jpg

I had no problem with fitting mechanical brake cable outer.
    Overall build experience was great. No problem at all!

mtbr member
    Great looking bike Panda. So blacked out.
    That is the CX frame right? Looks just fine w/ the skinny tires.

I'm still on the fence about a color. The palate they sent me helps but I'm just not yet there. The more snow I shovel, the less inclined I am to complete my order. That'll change soon enough thouhg. Spring always gets around to us quikly, even if late.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great looking bike Panda. So blacked out.
    That is the CX frame right? Looks just fine w/ the skinny tires.

I'm still on the fence about a color. The palate they sent me helps but I'm just not yet there. The more snow I shovel, the less inclined I am to complete my order. That'll change soon enough thouhg. Spring always gets around to us quikly, even if late.
    Here is my finished paint job. Frame is now shipped.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-qq-20150110115313.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-qq-20150110115309.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-qq-20150110115301.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-qq-20150110115317.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Name:	QQ??20150110115317.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	955148
    Looks better with painting IMO!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My temporary build:

Name:	hdr_00021_normal.jpg 
Views:	2416 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	954923

Looks great, I like the white bar tape, glad you didn't have the hose fitting issue. Is there no hose clip tab on the rear of your fork? Perhaps it is just the photo, but I can't see one. Also, is that a 56cm frame or bigger?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That looks super, it will be even better in the flesh as the camera they use is poor. So, did you send them a render of how you wanted it painted or did they suggest this?

Edit: @N1X0N
    Last edited by Racing snake; 01-13-2015 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just a quick update for you all. I know mud clearance was being discussed earlier in the thread. So this information may assist in component choice to avoid issues;

I competed in our national champoinships at the weekend. Like most events it was held in a park. I know we encounter different types of mud and I have to say that this one was the worst yet. It was the type that had grass and leafs but no stone in it which aided it to stick, the type that sticks to the bike and not even fling up onto legs. Unlike half of the other competitiors I only had one bike which was a serious disadvantage. Anyway, three laps in I had turbo trainer levels of resistance building lap after lap. By lap 5 I had to stop at the top of a run-up to clear mud (for 15-20 seconds, doh) from the chainstays as the rear wheel was almost locked up while riding (absolutely locked up while remounting the bike). It seems that while using a Cx chainset with compact rings that dictate a lower front mech, that this started the issue. Mud would gather as normal on the stay, but the cable and mech were basically feeding the clumps of mud at a high rate into the tyre and stay. At this point I also lost ability to shift into the big ring.

So what I intend to do for next season is to run a deep section rim and slightly thinner tyre to prevent this happening again. The Clement PDX I use is 33c, but actually measures 38cm width. I know a single ring up front would also be a great solution as I use it on the MTB, but I want to retain the bike for road use also which I find it is great for.

On the flip side, riders with canti brakes also had problems with extraordinary levels of mud and clag gathering. The weight of the bikes afterwards was staggering!

Check out the attached image of the wear to the right side of the tyre and the rim decals! The clearance on the front fork wasn't great either, but not because of width. The mud actually gathered above the tyre into the top of the fork, causing resistance, but nowhere as bad as the rear.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-received_10203305523671545.jpg

mtbr member
    N1-
    What did the extra paint job cost you? I had intended to paint the entire frame one color. That'd be $50 USD. What did the two tone cost?
    And- It looks great please don't forget those of us on the fence. When it shows up, get photos of it unbuilt, and built. Please.
    Is there a gloss area near the top cup of the headtube?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mud clearance issues eh? I think most of the bikes I have might have had some sort of sticky mud issues. But, I can't imagine the chainstays would take too long to sustain some real permanent damage.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Some didn't during the race, notably Giants TCX and Focus Mares, though they still loaded up in other areas meaning a second bike would be required to remain at the sharp end.

Thankfully frame damage is minimal, just scraped a little from pieces of wood/twigs or whatever. Possibly an advantage over a painted version, though I like the look of both. A tyre blowout could have happened too I guess, the sidewall has the carcass appearing, as would be typical on a MTB.

mtbr member
    A spare or two bikes for race day?
    Really? That's what has become of the sport? Spares for a niche shoulder season sport?
    Count me out please.

But, I'll happily reap the rewards of those high end type pedalers. I'll go w/ discs, thru axles, and lighter parts.
    I'll just point them in other places. Like huge long gravel tours w/ friends. Not too different I suppose from how CX racers do it. Riding bikes w/ friends can take many shapes.

I'm intending to build it up SS, and I know (in my heart) that's its not a good use for the frame. SS mountain seems to work well much of the time. SS road seems like to large a window to bridge w/ only one gear.
    If I ever decide on a color (I'm wanting to determine which looks the most like Ti, as a joke), you'll see my photos on here.
    This SS, TA, C, CX, Disc bizarro faux Ti project has got to be executed, or binned already!

Speaking of that.
    Which looks more/less Ti to you all?
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg

If you believe neither do, we're in the same boat.
    And I'm now stuck wondering what color to go w/.
    It's snowing.
    I'm going for a run before the cabin fever further erodes my sanity.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    @Racing snake

Yeah it might be difficult to see it from the photo but there's a tab- If you notice the white tie-wrap on the left of the fork, that's where it is. I put white just because I didn't have any black one at the moment.

The size is 58cm. I think 60-61cm (note: Miracle doesn't make 60) would have been my perfect fit but I'm also feeling that smaller frames make it easier for technical maneuverers?

By the way, mine ended up quite heavy like ~8.7kg (~19.2lbs) and probably a bit more after I swap for 35C tires/pedals. How much does/do yours weigh?
    Last edited by pandaxpress; 01-18-2015 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @Johnny Chicken
    Paintjob 50$

@Racing snake
    They sent me an example drawing which i modified a bit.
    Without any really tools I tried to improvise a drawing in windows paint with pictures, arrows and colors from other bikes plus my own ideas and explained as well as I could.
    Jenny who was my contact person was very helpful. For every modification I requested her designer drew an example and I had to confirm it.

I can't really count the amount of mails I sent back and forward to get this correct.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah it might be difficult to see it from the photo but there's a tab- If you notice the white tie-wrap on the left of the fork, that's where it is. I put white just because I didn't have any black one at the moment.

The size is 58cm. I think 60-61cm (note: Miracle doesn't make 60) would have been my perfect fit but I'm also feeling that smaller frames make it easier for technical maneuverers?

By the way, mine ended up quite heavy like ~8.7kg (~19.2lbs) and probably a bit more after I swap for 35C tires/pedals. How much does/do yours weigh?
    I was thinking it might be 58cm, but the saddle was quite high so I was then thinking that it might be a 56. Wow, you must be really tall? 6'4"-6'5"?

Smaller frames would be lighter. Not sure about the handling, its a personal thing, depends on how it feels to you. In MTB a lot of the DH guys are moving to larger frames for more cockpit maneuverability. In Enduro they are doing the same but using shorter stems. Height-wise some of us just get caught between two frame sizes and either could have benefits or drawbacks.

I haven't had a chance to weigh mine yet. It feels light, but I'm sure it will be heavier then a similar canti version.The only heavy parts I could improve on are the 105 shifters, the bars (but I'm not pushed for 40gram savings) and the hubs. Tub specced wheels could go either way if I get a high profile rim as discussed recently.

mtbr member
    A 19.2lb disc cross bike is heavy?
    I'd love such a heavy bike!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sub'd. Looking for a "do-it-all" bike w/discs, thru-axles, and wide tires. Looks like these fit the bill .

Where the best place to pick one of these up for a reasonable price? The link I clicked through looks like it has a 3 frame minimum order.

Coming from the mtb side of things, I am not too familiar with what is out there as far as road/cyclocross hydro brakes and wheelsets with a 142 rear & F/R thru-axle. Can someone kindy point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance .

mtbr member
    Are you planning on running gears?
    And of so- what shifters?
    Both Shimano and SRAM make a hydro road shift/brake lever.
    If you want to go with cable brakes and hydro calipers- TRP makes a cable to hydro caliper. Spyre maybe?
    I'm intending in making it SS and will use the TRP Hylex brake, then add some Frankenstein way to add a shifter for geared use.
    Paul makes an adapter to fit a mountain shifter on a road bar.
    And Microshift (I think) makes slick bar end shifters.
    Long answer sorry.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Are you planning on running gears?
    And of so- what shifters?
    Both Shimano and SRAM make a hydro road shift/brake lever.
    If you want to go with cable brakes and hydro calipers- TRP makes a cable to hydro caliper. Spyre maybe?
    Thanks for the quick response.

Since this would basically be a build from the ground up, I am not particular to any brand.

Definitely running gears....this would be my all-around rig (gravel grinding, road, cyclocross, etc.). Everything else my mtb/fat bike can't cover.

mtbr member
    It seems like the Shimano systems are generally assumed to be the best brakes.
    (typed w/ the full knowledge that I don't know road so great)
    W/ that in mind, I'd say you should go Shimano. Also typed knowing that SRAM had that recall.

My distant hope is that the wireless idea will finally take hold and I'll be able to just slap two buttons somewhere on the bars and control the shifts that way.
    Shimano's two button system on the current gen XTR really seems to answer the question.

This frame as a SS will be perfect for about 9 rides a year.
    So I suppose I should anticipate adding gears somehow sooner than later.
    It'll be used for a few bike pack tours right off the bat so.... WTF am I wanting a SS again for?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I might have missed it, but do we have some definitive tire clearances for this frame? Pictures and rim specs would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I might have missed it, but do we have some definitive tire clearances for this frame? Pictures and rim specs would be great.
    Heres a pic of mine. ZTR Iron Cross & Clement PDX 33c (38mm actual width) Dont mind the side clearance, every camera angle made it look off. I.e its a bit better then it looks.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0088.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My temporary build:

Name:	hdr_00021_normal.jpg 
Views:	2416 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	954923

I meant to ask, how does it ride as a road bike with those wheels and tyres versus Cx tyres? Would you notice any difference to a regular road bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Heres a pic of mine. ZTR Iron Cross & Clement PDX 33c (38mm actual width) Dont mind the side clearance, every camera angle made it look off. I.e its a bit better then it looks.

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	955841
    Thanks so much. How many mm would you estimate on either side in that pic? Enough for mud clearance, or enough for a 40c?

mtbr member
    Room enough for the (by CX standards) balloon like WTB Nano 40?
    Sorry... I'm doing that thing where I ask online for someone to provide an impossible answer.

Please disregard my question. But have a nice day.

On a side note- Thanks for keeping this thread going.
    I'll be ordering my frame today from the she/he or whomever that calls themselves "Jenny".
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    N1Xon-
    Do you know if Miracle is able to use ALL the colors on the YS site that Jenny sends out?

There's way too many to make choosing easy, but I suppose if I put enough time into the project, i might be able to find just the right match.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks so much. How many mm would you estimate on either side in that pic? Enough for mud clearance, or enough for a 40c?
    About 5mm each side I'd say. Across the widest part of thread its approx 47 or 48mm from stay to stay.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    N1Xon-
    Do you know if Miracle is able to use ALL the colors on the YS site that Jenny sends out?

There's way too many to make choosing easy, but I suppose if I put enough time into the project, i might be able to find just the right match.
    I'm not sure, have you asked Jenny ?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast