mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

First Look:2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle New cyclocross bicycle carbon frame, View 2015 cyclocross bike frame, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Hey did a forum search and didn't return anything for 'FM285'. Im considering purchasing this frame because it has everything im looking for: disc, bb30, tapered steerer, and through axle. Now I know we all talk about the Chinese frames but my biggest concern is the through axle. how has your Chinese carbon 142x12 frame held up? anyone have any intrest in this frame?

Specifications

2015 cyclocross frame
    rear142X12mm thru axle
    front 100X15mm thru axle
    bottom braket PF30/BB30/BSA

Item:
    FM285
    Size:
    50cm,52cm,54cm,56cm,58cm
    Weave:
    UD
    Finished:
    To order
    Type:
    Thru axle cyclocross
    Material:
    Hight Modulus Toray Carbon Fiber
    Brake Type
    Disc Brake (front and rear 160mm rotor)
    Frame rear spacer:
    142mmX12mm thru axle
    Fork spacer :
    100mmX15mm thru axle
    Head tube:
    Taper 1-1/8 to 1-1/2
    Seat Tube:
    For diameter 31.6mm seat post
    Cable:
    Internal cable
    Groupset:
    Di2 and Machine compatible
    Bottom Bracket
    BB30 and BSA
    Tire size:
    700X38C
    Warranty:
    2 years

mtbr member
    I suspect that as there are currently only CAD drawings available, that frame will likely not be available for shipment for ~4-6 months.

Formerly of Kent

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

There are hundreds of satisfied IP-057 buyers in the 29er forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not sure I would want through axles on a true CX bike, especially if you are racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Subscribed. I am also very interested in that frame. Please post your findings :-)

The Brutally Handsome
    Sounds interesting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I contacted the seller:
    The frame is available in about 45 days.
    I will definitely order one in size 54.
    As soon as it will be here, I will post images of my build.

Group: Ultegra Di2
    STI: ST-R785
    Brakes: BR-RS785
    Discs: SM-RT99 140mm (Centerlock)
    Wheelset: DT Swiss X 1700 Spline Two 29" (Centerlock)

According to a DT Swiss rep, the new 2015 Spline thru axle wheelsets will accommodate 11-speed road-cassettes without problems, despite beeing MTB 10sp. I really hope thats true...
    DT Swiss - X 1700 Spline TWO 29
    (If you have more infos, please post

They go for 460 right now: Bike24 - DT Swiss X 1700 SPLINE TWO 29" Wheelset Centerlock Front: 15x100mm/QR | Rear: 12x142mm/QR
    I think thats a very fair price, considering the Shimano WH-RX830 (no thru axle) costing double the price and are 160g heavier..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by abyssal View Post
    I contacted the seller:
    The frame is available in about 45 days.
    I will definitely order one in size 54.
    As soon as it will be here, I will post images of my build.
    I am looking to build a cross bike and want thru axles (I doubt I'll ever ride another off-road bike without them). This frame seems to fit the bill. I contacted miraclebikes which has the frame on their website and they don't seem to know when it will be available. The frame geometry seems to be the same as their MC105 frames (which makes sense, a lot easier to modify an existing frame than create a new geo), they could not confirm that however, though the person I talked to thought it was the case.

I did get detailed 105 frame specs from her (full cad drawing pdfs) for both the 54 and 52 frames, as well as the fork, and while the wb is a bit short for the size (very square geo) it might be just what I was looking for (better handling for a slight toe overlap on the 52). I am undecided yet. Still doing some calculations and comparisons.

Anyways, what seller did you contact that gave you a quote of 45 days?

Did they give you a price?

mtbr member
    In for price! specs seem strange to have seat tube length and TT length identical tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyver View Post
    Hi
    I contacted the alibaba-seller (Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd.):
    First Look:2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle New cyclocross bicycle carbon frame, View 2015 cyclocross bike frame, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

I am in contact with Mr. James Pan.
    I did not request a price till yet and only asked for aviability, it will be in the typical range for a chinese seller as quotet on alibaba (US $ 420 - 650 per Set)

James Pan
    Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd.
    T: 086 755 89990635 | F: 086 755 89990595
    E: info@featbikes.com
    W: Full Carbon bike
    Products Showroom on Alibaba.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    In for price! specs seem strange to have seat tube length and TT length identical tho.
    It's actually pretty standard. The measure for seat tubes from BB center to the top of the seat tube is a poor measurement, since the part after the connector between the seat tube and top tube is inconsequential to all of the measurements that make any difference to anyone doing frame sizing. The actual seat tube height is 480mm (from BBC to ST/TT connection) on the 52, and 500mm on the 54. This is definitely in the "normal" range.

The only "strange" (less common) part of the geo is that on the small and medium frames, they still come close to the "sweet spot" angles on the ST and HT (73/73). Most companies spread those angles out more (especially the head tube angle, at least on cross bikes) to increase the front center distance (between BB and front axle) and eliminate toe overlap (TO). These particular frames (the FM/MC105 and maybe the 285s) do not. What this gives is a lower trail (and flop) and increased capacity to shift your center of gravity around, so both you and your bike are more agile, at the expense of potential toe overlap, at least on the smaller frames with bigger 700c tires.

I personally don't care overmuch about toe overlap, as I am pretty agile on a bike, and can overcome it with ease, especially on a sub 18lb small bike. On the 52 with 35c tires, according to my calculations (i would normally be sized for a 54-55 top tube) I will have ~15mm TO, and can reduce that to next to nothing by increasing the stance width.

Another way to eliminate TO (if it is problematic, which really is debatable) is to go with smaller wheels/tires. When I find the right frame for my build (very possibly this one), I am considering getting a set of 650b wheels and as large tires as I can fit. (it looks from the cad drawings I might be able to fit 48c, but 44c should be easy). A best of all possible worlds bike with a wheel change, booya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    @abyssal

Thank you. Please keep us posted on any updates you receive from the distributor!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abyssal View Post
    I contacted the seller: The frame is available in about 45 days.
    Based on past experiences, this sounds a lot like marketing speak from the manufacturer (Hint - its not Feat or Miracle) which has not actually started producing the frame but is tooling up for production while gauging how much demand there will be. Typically, availability for a new frame can span 30-60 days once the first images of an actual frameset appear on the trading companies website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

BB drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyver View Post
    I am looking to build a cross bike and want thru axles (I doubt I'll ever ride another off-road bike without them). This frame seems to fit the bill. I contacted miraclebikes which has the frame on their website and they don't seem to know when it will be available. The frame geometry seems to be the same as their MC105 frames (which makes sense, a lot easier to modify an existing frame than create a new geo), they could not confirm that however, though the person I talked to thought it was the case.

I did get detailed 105 frame specs from her (full cad drawing pdfs) for both the 54 and 52 frames, as well as the fork, and while the wb is a bit short for the size (very square geo) it might be just what I was looking for (better handling for a slight toe overlap on the 52). I am undecided yet. Still doing some calculations and comparisons.

Any information on BB-drop? Can you post a pic of the 105 geo :-)

Regards /Johan

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    52 geo here: Miraclebikes MC105-D-520

54 here: MC105-D-540

And fork here: MC105-D-Fork

BB drop is 65mm.