Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    carbon tubes like these might be hard to find
    no idea where you get them

mtbr member
    Damn Fat.
    Damn.

I'm pretty much drowning a slow death during a week long work training.
    And I'm thinking about DIY thru axles.

It does sound like plenty of work to do, but I'd be thankful for a more step/step process of those things.
    Very cool.

If you get off your lazy ass and finally do something for me, I'll send you a bag of M&Ms.
    Yea- you read that right.

Big promises man. Big promises.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    PMSL . Oh you know me so well JCB
    Anything for an M&M .

Will see what I can muster for the weekend (I only got Sunday off this week )

Patience guys patience LOL .

Fat Biker

P.S. Camera skills notwithstanding so don't be expecting tooooo much

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    pulled the trigger on the D779 fork from these guys: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web
    Turns out, they're a long time mfg partner of Aprebic ( http://www.evo.com.tw )
    Who, according to the SGS document scans on the former's site, make or used to make Whisky forks. Likely to different specs/with stricter QC and maybe not in Shenzhen but in Taiwan. Stilll, better credentials than some

aelbike/yierlan also have a beefier T-A fork with an alloy steerer (D757 in the catalog), but they didn't have it in stock so, fingers crossed, I won't regret not waiting for that one as D779 will serve me for years without failure

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For the record, this other fork (Aelbike/Aprebic ACC-D779) is 60g heavier than Miraclebike's after having the steerer cut to the same length (445 vs 385g), despite having more slender fork blades, which, I think, is a reassuring sign. Flanges are shallower too, so it won't have a problem with my Fastace front hub (stepped endcaps didn't sit flush with the dropouts on the broken fork, allowing the wheel to rock a little even after being tightened up)

Held up fine during a recent outing (although I'm reluctant to brake from 50kph to full stop now, so didn't really test its limits to the extreme

The mud clearance is a little smaller, though, and 40c Kenda Flintridge on a 20mm IW rim doesn't have enough to avoid accumulation of muck between tire and crown. But that's a wrong tire for mud anyway (slides easily), so no biggie I guess

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Is there a thread with Chinese carbon merchant reviews/feedback around here? My fork story is kinda over, I'd like to post a summary where more people can see it

mtbr member
    Bruto-
    Not that I've seen. Maybe start your own and we'll see if other folks w/ similar events chime in.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    crossposting then: Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0 - Page 23
    tags: velocarbon, miraclebike, sucks

mtbr member

Miracle For Sale! 54cm

On paper this bike is perfect, under me- not so. Well, to be honest my road bike doesn't do my neck any favors either.
    Pretty sure road geometry and my neck aren't the best pairing.

So the Miracle frame/fork are for sale.
    It's not a Salsa, I just had these old stickers. They'll peel right off if you don't want them.
    54cm frame
    Custom paint. (the black bands are reflective)
    BB30 or BSA (w/ included BSA insert)
    Includes several drop outs so you can make the rear QR or thru axle.
    Includes Miracle seat collar and headset.
    In the photos you'll see a seatpost, seat, bars, brakes... But it doesn't include those.
    Just the frame/fork/drop outs listed above/front and rear axels/headset.
    If you are interested in running it as a single speed- I'll include the Wheels Manufacturing eccentric BB30 adapter.
    Eccentric Bottom Bracket for BB30 & 24/22mm (SRAM, Truvativ) Cranks - Red

I'm happy to ship in the US, and happy to take any questions about this frame/fork.
    Need different photos? Let me know and I'll take em.

$500, I pay shipping.
    Go ride, it's June.
    -JCB
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0420.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0422.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0425.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0435.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I´m normally riding MTB but will for the variation ride some CX i the coming fall/Winther.

I have been running thru the complete tread and maybe I have overseen my questions. But it seems there is a lot about the axels and other technical stuff such as tire clearance but I am looking for some "reviews"/experience of the handling in CX terrain (in other words, the geometry).

When I compare the FM286 frame geo with e.g. CruX and Mares it seems like the BB i sitting relative high and that the Stack is pretty aggressive. But as I’m new to CX I am not aware have big effect this will have on the handling and “body feeling” after many hours in the saddle and on the tracks.

Can anybody help with some experience and also on witch size of FM286 frame you are running (incl. your height and inseam).

Thanks in behalf

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    HenrikJ, nvm the stack number, unless it's too high and you're a road racer
    if the HT is short, just keep more of the steerer and use the headset spacers, then you can gradually lower the bars until the fit suits you

Also not sure how many people here would notice the BB height difference of 1cm unless it meant catching pedals on the ground in turns

oh yeah, and read my post about Miraclebike experience above (#post12688865 ) - fo286 T-A fork that comes with FM286 is really too light to feel safe riding it and I can't recommend the seller as far as customer service is concerned

fortunately, they aren't the only place selling what you want

you can check this seller out: a-dbikes | eBay
    he was selling nice Taiwanese framesets at a discount (like $550 for the set with cane creek 40 HS) on several occasions
    here's the CX w/geo: https://www.a-dbikes.com/product/ube...ted-frame-set/

then there's Flyxii: Cyclocross - ShenZhen Flyxii Sports
    no T-A options listed, though, but:

Yishunbike/Lightcarbon/ACEbike appears to sell the frame made in the same mold as one of Flyxii's, but with thru-axles (albeit 12mm in the front): YISHUNBIKE
    If it's made by them, then there's likely a difference in manufacturing process (Yishunbike point out their superior manufacturing), but no way to confirm unless they tell you
    Not sure if the T-A and QR forks here are the same model with interchangeable dropouts or entirely different

You can also buy just the frame you like and source a fork elsewhere
    I ride Aprebic after my FO286 broke and it's certainly beefier (was $105 with axle, too, but I was lucky to seriously save on shipping)
    Can post their contacts if anyone wants
    There's also the massive and seemingly unbreakable Trigon fork being sold at reasonable price by bike24.com (but QR only): https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,4,21

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for your feedback Bruto.

Regarding the BB high (app. 10-15 mm higher) and the low stack I would presume that the handling of the bike in the terrain would be agile. Or said in other words, would be difficult to handle I technical terrain??
    Regarding the axel I can see there have been a lot of debate and learnings witch I have to have in mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    found the Aelbike/Aprebic fork on ebay: 2016 New 700c T800 UD Matt Tapered Cyclocross Disc Brake Carbon Gravel Bike Fork | eBay
    take this if you want thru-axle at the front instead of FO286
    it's flat mount, though, so you'll need this adapter:
    https://static.bike-components.de/ca...2f8135bfb.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anyone else had any problems with the Miracle Bikes frame? I'm thinking of getting one, maybe the new CX028 (Flat-Mount), to have a geared option for longer gravel rides and maybe to actually try and do well in some CX3 and Master's races. It's tough to get into the top 10 on a single speed CX bike and I'm not getting younger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ask them how much the fork alone weighs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik J View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Bruto.

Regarding the BB high (app. 10-15 mm higher) and the low stack I would presume that the handling of the bike in the terrain would be agile. Or said in other words, would be difficult to handle I technical terrain??
    Regarding the axel I can see there have been a lot of debate and learnings witch I have to have in mind.
    Is there really no one that cane give a review of the FM286 frames handling abilities ??

Live Free & Ride
    I'd go with OnOne over one of these Chi-carbon cross frames. Well reviewed, with warranty and comes with the right thru-axles. Available as a frame or full build...can even get it with straight bars. Seriously considering this over building an unreliable Asian carbon frame with too many unknown issues. Plenty of space for 40c tires and it may even fit these fatties: Riddler 45c | WTB

On One Bish Bash Bosh SRAM Rival 11 HRD Adventure Bike | Planet X
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    I'd go with OnOne over one of these Chi-carbon cross frames. Well reviewed, with warranty and comes with the right thru-axles. Available as a frame or full build...can even get it with straight bars. Seriously considering this over building an unreliable Asian carbon frame with too many unknown issues. Plenty of space for 40c tires and it may even fit these fatties: Riddler 45c | WTB

On One Bish Bash Bosh SRAM Rival 11 HRD Adventure Bike | Planet X
    Hello!

I have some question, that I haven't find any info on: can You post some tyre clearance photos with Your 45C tyres on?

Thank You.
    Pavel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by c1gary View Post
    Good looking bike C1Gary! What kind of tires are those?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well a pothole just destroyed my Traitor Crusade frame. First time I've ever broken a frame of any kind. I need a replacement and I'm having a hard time deciding between Chinese carbon, particularly the "workswell" WCB-C-112 or a name brand aluminum frame like a Trek Crockett or a Kona Private Jake.

The Boone is $750, the Kona is $700, and the Workswell is $590. Not sure whether to go with lighter, cheaper carbon or more reliable aluminum. I will be racing so weight will matter a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    WCB-C-112-workswellbikes

The Workswell

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I hadn't heard of Workswell before. From the photos and geometry charts, it appears to be identical to the Miracle Bikes CX028. I'm curious whether both come from the same factory through different sellers, or if "open mold" truly means there are multiple copies of the same mold out there.

I built two Miracle Bikes MC286 in mid 2015 (58 cm for myself and 48cm for my wife). I have put about 700 miles on mine so far and I have no reason to believe it won't last for many more. I also own a Chinese road frame bought from Velobuild, and I would say the build quality of the frames from Miracle Bikes was slightly better. However, there have been some minor flaws. The 48 cm frame had a front derailleur mount that was misaligned by a few degrees, making it hard to get the front shifting to work as well as I wanted. I eventually converted it to 1X for other reasons, so it's no longer a problem. The MC286 also had what I considered to be some design flaws: overly steep seat tube in smaller frame sizes, high bottom bracket and short head tube across all sizes. The CX028/WCB-C-112 remedies all of these, giving a full 2cm increase in stack height across the whole geometry range, plus the extra tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Anybody want to buy my Miracle?
    I'll make you a screaming deal in order to justify a new trip. I mean to fund, I mean to make it OK w/ the wife.

54cm. Built up Spring of 2015. Ridden more last year, less so this year.

Lemme know. Maybe we can find a price that works for each of us. I'm leaning towards the $350-$400 mark.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    FO286... from Miraclebike uh-huh

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey Bruto
    Thanks for the link to the fork option. I didn't realize the miracle fork was so light. Even the 779 on ebay at 410 gms seems light for a thru axle cross fork. Now that you have had the new fork for a while what is your opinion. Still okay? What do you think max tire size is? Is the thru axle fit good? There were some comments about a little slop around the miracle axle in the dropouts. Cable routing goes thru the fork leg okay? I'm not crazy about the placement of the fender mounts on the dropout...I think they could have put those on the inside of the leg higher up and hidden them better. Did you ever see the same fork without fender mounts? Anyway would appreciate your opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    the fork is fine, but it didn't see alot of riding
    TA fit is ok, I glued the nut in to make my life easier, no problems whatsoever
    I run 40c Kenda Flintridge tire on 22mm IW rim and it's fine with about 10mm of clearance all around as long as you don't go looking for sticky mud
    When I found some, I had to walk the bike or clear the mud every so often

as far as brake cable routing is concerned, it's not the best fit for TRP HY/RD, but might work better with other calipers (I run the cable through the leg anyway cause it looks cleaner)

Aelbike make evern bigger fork now, by the way: https://aelbike.en.alibaba.com/produ...avel_Fork.html
    looks massive enough to fit a 27.5 wheel with a DH tire (not sure it could handle the braking forces such a tire can generate, though)
    I'm eyeing it myself

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    the fork is fine, but it didn't see alot of riding
    TA fit is ok, I glued the nut in to make my life easier, no problems whatsoever
    I run 40c Kenda Flintridge tire on 22mm IW rim and it's fine with about 10mm of clearance all around as long as you don't go looking for sticky mud
    When I found some, I had to walk the bike or clear the mud every so often

as far as brake cable routing is concerned, it's not the best fit for TRP HY/RD, but might work better with other calipers (I run the cable through the leg anyway cause it looks cleaner)

Aelbike make evern bigger fork now, by the way: https://aelbike.en.alibaba.com/produ...avel_Fork.html
    looks massive enough to fit a 27.5 wheel with a DH tire (not sure it could handle the braking forces such a tire can generate, though)
    I'm eyeing it myself
    Thanks for the info. I will have a good look at the heavier version. I don't mind a few extra gms especially on the fork and 450 is not that heavy. When you glued in the nut does it actually slide into the dropout much like the backing nut on a chainring bolt or does the axle protrude thru the dropout and the nut is threaded on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20161110_113802.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161110_113802.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1104672
    Thanks. Looks great. AEL replied back and they also have the same fork as yours but with the fender mounts not on the dropout but further up the leg...model 8009. 420gms This is one of those few times I wish it were a little heavier for a bit more peace of mind. The 700/29er model is a bit heavier at 445 but the clearance I think a little overkill for typical cross tire sizes. Anyway thanks for the legwork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just a quick update on my MC-286 frame from Miracle Bikes. I purchased the frame back in 2014 and have been happily riding it ever since. No major problems to report.

Riding yesterday morning on a relatively flat section of road, I felt a clunk in the crank area, I stopped pedaling, looked down, and the whole bottom bracket section had come out of the frame! It's a threaded bottom bracket, so the external cups were still intact. Basically, the whole bottom bracket area, with the cups and the crankset (of course) just popped out towards the drivetrain side.

I was about 3 miles from home, so I tried to kick the whole contraption back into the bike, which worked partially and allowed me to limp my way home.

Since I've had the frame for almost 3 years, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to get any kind of warranty replacement, but I emailed Jenny at Miracle Bikes anyways just to see what response I'd get. I haven't heard back from her yet.

Just my 2 cents, and maybe this is a common occurrence with these frames, but I've never seen the bottom bracket just pop out of a frame before. It's like someone didn't epoxy it strongly to the carbon portion of the frame.

Like I said, I'm not super disappointed, since I got 3 good years out of it, but just a note of warning to those people thinking of purchasing a chinese no-name frame.

Overall, I loved the frame and had no major complaints up until this point. Maybe I'm lucky I didn't have catastrophic failure on a fast descent and do some major damage to myself.

Here are some pictures. You can see the whole crankset and bottom bracket area is about 1 cm towards the drivetrain. This is after I forced it back in with my foot.

.Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170116_161541.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170116_161507.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-20150619_101541.jpg

mtbr member
    Gluddy-
    You're in a place that I was a few weeks after purchase.
    But do not despair! Your situation is easily remedied and low cost solutions are available.

In my situation- the inner BSA sleeve became unglued. Once you remove that sleeve- it's a BB30. And there are several options to make a BB30 work with external cranks.

The cheapest way might be to glue in a new sleeve. There are several options. From all my web research I leaned that this is usually a permanent solution. Or at least until it fails again!

There are also several versions of external adapters. I went with a KCNC and found it to be clean, simple, and served me well.

Either way- your solution is a simple one.
    Slightly unfortunate but with a simple solution.

Please keep us posted.
    JCBs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks JCB for your positive comment. I think I may mess with it this weekend, it looks like the bottom bracket shell should come out fairly easily.

I wonder if I can access part of the bottom bracket shell through the removable plate on the bottom of the frame. I'm almost certain I can take out the shell, clean it, and epoxy it back into the frame. I'll keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Scanning back thru my admittedly broken and missing brain files....

No, you can't access the BB shell from the cable panel.
    You'll be able to see it, but won't be able to interact with it in the way that your wondering about.

-Bones
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

The End of My Mircale

I'm the guy who had the BSA BB fall out Spring of 2016.
    I'm also the guy that Miracle was amazingly good to. They worked hard to find me a way to get the BB I wanted.

And I'm the guy that thought the bike wasn't for me. More comfy wise. My neck is too old or something. Whatever it is, the bars are too low for my comfort.
    Lots of single track later, plenty of gravel road... I figured I'd sell it.

Posted on here 1 or 2 times. Nope. No interest. My price got lower, a few questions came in but mostly- nope. No buyers.

I've ridden it more. Some days are good, others I think about new stems and a higher stack.
    It's been SS and 1x9.
    It has all the check boxes for a perfect bike. But it's not to be.

Pulled all the bits off recently. A good winter cleaning/buffing.
    Then I found this.
    Glad it never sold. I'd hate a buyer to think I'd screwed em.
    Not sure if it's the clear coat or the actual carbon. Do know it's very odd place for a crack.
    This is probably the nail in the coffin for this frame.
    What I'm seeing as a crack is that line above the BB shell.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_2945.jpg

Not sure what I'll do w/ it. Maybe saw it up. Maybe make it into a planter.
    If I do chop it up-
    Do any of you need any of the frame bits? Small little pieces that sit in the frame as cable stops? The Miracle seat collar? Headset? Axles? Dropouts (TA and QR), Want the fork?
    I'd hate to ditch those bits if somebody needed em.
    First come first seved. You pay shipping.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bottom Bracket Repair on my MC-286

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone on my BB repair on my MC-286 frame. The shell on my BSA bottom bracket came out when I was riding a few weeks ago, I've been putting off the repair until I had done some research.

Miracle Bikes was no help, but I figured that would be the case. i didn't even get a reply from anyone there.

Anyways, I finally pulled off the crank and bottom bracket cups, and realized that the shell just pops right out with an easy hit from a mallet. Definitely not in there like it should be.

I went ahead and epoxied (sp?) it back in place, using the Gorilla brand epoxy where you mix 2 different tubes and apply before it dries. I even pressed it back in place with a bottom bracket press.

I let it it cure for a few days, then reinstalled my bottom bracket cups and crankset.

Took it for a post repair ride, and it rides great. No movement or sounds from the bottom bracket. I'm really pleased with the repair, and how easy it was.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170129_155623.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170128_173419.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170128_173048.jpg

mtbr member

How to kill my frame?

I posted a few days ago about getting rid of this frame due to a possible crack at the BB.
    Since then I've pulled all bit off and the fork. Everything but the frame has been sent to a new owner w/ the hope that it'll keep a rider riding when needed.

So that leaves me w/ a frame.
    Just a frame. No axles, no dropouts nothing.

Seems like a way for us to learn something. Anyone? How do I destroy this frame?
    If possible, I'll photograph/video it's failure.

Anyone have some ideas on how we can test this to see how it lives/dies?

All I can think of is putting a large pipe/dowel in the BB, then putting another in the headset and getting all medieval on it.

Pretty sure I'm not going to put this type of time into the project but it'd be cool to see.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    take it to ultrasound maybe it's not broken after all and can be sold to recoup the cost of above procedure

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I posted a few days ago about getting rid of this frame due to a possible crack at the BB.
    Since then I've pulled all bit off and the fork. Everything but the frame has been sent to a new owner w/ the hope that it'll keep a rider riding when needed.

So that leaves me w/ a frame.
    Just a frame. No axles, no dropouts nothing.

Seems like a way for us to learn something. Anyone? How do I destroy this frame?
    If possible, I'll photograph/video it's failure.

Anyone have some ideas on how we can test this to see how it lives/dies?

All I can think of is putting a large pipe/dowel in the BB, then putting another in the headset and getting all medieval on it.

Pretty sure I'm not going to put this type of time into the project but it'd be cool to see.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike

-JCBs
    I'd like to see some gradual increase of destruction. Start with a rock, then slash at it with a knife, then beat it with a hammer, chop it with an axe. Set it on a saw horse and drop 10-200 lbs of weight on it from the side.

And lastly, melt it with a heat gun!

mtbr member
    Given the many tubes I have to work with, I could easily whack at the top tube a bit w/ various materials.
    Then use the down tube for other torture!

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    try making it burn

mtbr member
    I just watched a few you tube videos about burning CF.
    Not sure it'll burn so great! The paint will burn well probably but maybe not the carbon.

But, fire is added to the list of destruction.
    And a hammer.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    you might need fluorine

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

Has anyone built up a miracle cx536 frame , it looks like it's got wide tire clearance and bb options. I was told a 58 would be 1508 grams for frame and fork. I'm looking for a gravel rig and something I can still race single speed with an eccentric bb.

http://www.miraclebikes.com/products...nCXbi03005738/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

thru-axle and cantilevers? makes sense

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

thru-axle and cantilevers? makes sense
    I think it can also run 9 x 130 with an interchangeable dropout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So before I pull the trigger miracle bikes cx535 is a good frame/good supplier with some minor build issues(cable routing, ect)?

I don't wanna pull the trigger on a maybe not so good one.

Do you guys order direct from the website or alibaba?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Preface: I've only skimmed the 8 pages so pardon me if I missed something.

Looking for some input of current/previous frame owners, or anybody that can offer input in general.

Is there a significant difference between Miracle Bike, Yishun, Workswell, Flyxii, or other brands that are found on Ali/eBay?

The models I'm considering are:
    Flyxii FR603
    Workswell WCB-C-112
    MB CX028
    Yishun LCX027-D

I'm not very particular on which dropouts the frame has as both qr and thru axle wheelsets are readily available used in my area. I'm really only interested in BB30 so that I could use an eccentric bb for a ss setup, and disc brakes. Beyond that, I haven't researched other options, and I figure all the manufacturers I listed offer the same finishes.

mtbr member

Angle Cycle AG028

I bought the AG028 disc brake and 12x142 / 15x100 thru axle frame from Angle Cycle last year, along with their V-brake / std QR AG038 frame for a friend.

I built the V-brake frame and posted it here. As I wrote on RBR, my dealings with "Kevin" last year before and after placing my order were top notch. I hope Kevin is still with Angle, and if so, I wouldn't hesitate to order from Angle again (been eyeing their AG336 27.5+/29/29+ frameset).

I missed out on getting the wheelset I originally wanted for the disc brake / thru axle 'cross bike (November's carbon "Range" wheels, that were sadly discontinued shortly after they became available).

However, after waiting patiently this spring for November's RFSW3's built with A Force's innovative Al33 alloy rims (~33mm deep, ~20mm inner width, toroidal U-shaped cross section, ~475g), I finally built up the AG028.

Unlike the V-brake frame (weighed 1090g on my postal scale), I was too hasty to weigh the Disc/thru-axle frame or fork prior to completion. But I don't doubt it's within the range Angle spec'd on their site,"1080g +/- 45g". Front fork has approx 56mm space bw blades at the crown of my 622x25mm tires, while chainstays and seatstays have approx 50mm space between the stays. IIRC, the maximum tire width is spec'd as 40mm, but one should be able to run 42mm tire up front easily, and possibly in the rear as well, without things getting too tight.

Anyway, here it is, currently built for paved road use w/ 50-34 cranks and 12-27 cassette:
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg

As shown, it weighs a hair over 19 lbs, including TRP Spyre mech disc brakes, 160mm Shimano ice tech rotors, old school Time "Alium ATAC" mtb pedals (claimed weight 425g) and small saddle bag (w/ steel core tire levers, Crank Bros multi tool, patch kit). So I dunno—it's probably under 18 lbs without pedals or saddle bag.

As for the building process, it went together fairly smoothly. I had to get a 6mm tap and chase the disc brake threads, but GXP BB threaded into the shell without problems. Getting the full length rear brake housing through the frame required a bit of elbow grease, but I bet it would have been much easier if I put a bit of that gel lube electricians use to pull wire through conduit on the leading inch or 2 of housing. Did the usual snaking brake wire through the internally routed liner, pulled the liner, then snaked housing over the internally routed brake wire.

So far on the road, it rides great. The only other carbon frame I've owned and ridden was a Tarmac, and this has the same quiet, muted road feel, as well as stiffness around the BB—stomp on the pedals and it moves without hesitation just like the Tarmac did. And as expected for 'cross oriented geometry (70.5 deg HA, 73 deg SA, 425mm chainstays), it's noticeably more stable descending twisty mountain roads than a typical race-oriented road bike. Of course, wheels and tires play a big role in how the bike feels, and I'm extremely pleased with November's RFSW3's mounted with 25mm Conti GP 4000S II tires—they spin up quickly, feel plenty fast riding tempo, and are stable in cross winds.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678