Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yes.
    Jenny, in her cryptic way, said that some are and some aren't available. That I should send her ideas and she can tell me what possible.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

Quote Originally Posted by Racing snake View Post
    I meant to ask, how does it ride as a road bike with those wheels and tyres versus Cx tyres? Would you notice any difference to a regular road bike?
    I just went for a first ride yesterday and today for about 120km altogether. I came from road and I consider myself a hobby cyclist who rarely rides competitively, but enjoys local ride events often and likes to climb a lot.

With that wheelset (along with road pedals,) it just felt like a regular road bike, rather good one. No awkward flexes during high torque climbs, no strange vibrations under high speed downhills, etc. Handling was fairly solid and stable too.

However, something I noticed probably specific to my build is that 58cm was a bit compact for my physique (I'm about 6.3 feet and my other bikes are 60cm+) and that it is not very light as in the road bike standard.

Still a good bike to me though. I gotta try CX sets as I'm new to itself!
    Last edited by pandaxpress; 01-18-2015 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Where the best place to pick one of these up for a reasonable price? The link I clicked through looks like it has a 3 frame minimum order.

Coming from the mtb side of things, I am not too familiar with what is out there as far as road/cyclocross hydro brakes and wheelsets with a 142 rear & F/R thru-axle. Can someone kindy point me in the right direction?
    Have you tried contacting Miracle Bikes directly?

They also have the axles that fit the frame and fork. Unless you already have ones that you know they fit, it's easier to just buy them together.

About a wheel set, I'm in no position to give you an advise but I think it depends on your budget. If you are on a budget, the most affordable ones I can think of is to ask your LBS to build one using MTB hubs.

NOTE: Earlier I mentioned Shimano has affordable CX wheel set, but I realized that they are 9mm QR only.
    Last edited by pandaxpress; 01-18-2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: CORRECTIONS

mtbr member
    Couch-
    I'm in a similar place. I know the world of dirt well, not so much the world of road. And CX is only cloudy in the dim areas of my brain.
    My old haggard CX bike (Salsa) has done some great trips (Great Divide, Iceland, lots of USA touring) and all w/ road rims. It's been on singletrack that it should never have been on, and the wheels did wonderfully.

But I"m sitting on a pair of Stans Arch rims that'll be the Miracle build up if I ever get around to ordering it, or more accurately- if I ever get around to deciding on color.

If I had any choice of all rims, I'd still probably go Stans. That way, the wheels can play doublel duty on mountain bikes in a pinch. And not the iron cross rims from Stans. From what I've read, they require too low a pressure to be versatile.

I've seen a great DT hub (the 350) sold as a 15mm thru front, laced to a WTB rim, for about $100. Seems like a good start. But I can't find the matching rear, at least not for cheap.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing snake View Post
    Just a quick update for you all. I know mud clearance was being discussed earlier in the thread. So this information may assist in component choice to avoid issues;

I competed in our national champoinships at the weekend. Like most events it was held in a park. I know we encounter different types of mud and I have to say that this one was the worst yet. It was the type that had grass and leafs but no stone in it which aided it to stick, the type that sticks to the bike and not even fling up onto legs. Unlike half of the other competitiors I only had one bike which was a serious disadvantage. Anyway, three laps in I had turbo trainer levels of resistance building lap after lap. By lap 5 I had to stop at the top of a run-up to clear mud (for 15-20 seconds, doh) from the chainstays as the rear wheel was almost locked up while riding (absolutely locked up while remounting the bike). It seems that while using a Cx chainset with compact rings that dictate a lower front mech, that this started the issue. Mud would gather as normal on the stay, but the cable and mech were basically feeding the clumps of mud at a high rate into the tyre and stay. At this point I also lost ability to shift into the big ring.

So what I intend to do for next season is to run a deep section rim and slightly thinner tyre to prevent this happening again. The Clement PDX I use is 33c, but actually measures 38cm width. I know a single ring up front would also be a great solution as I use it on the MTB, but I want to retain the bike for road use also which I find it is great for.

On the flip side, riders with canti brakes also had problems with extraordinary levels of mud and clag gathering. The weight of the bikes afterwards was staggering!

Check out the attached image of the wear to the right side of the tyre and the rim decals! The clearance on the front fork wasn't great either, but not because of width. The mud actually gathered above the tyre into the top of the fork, causing resistance, but nowhere as bad as the rear.

Attachment 955187
    I didn't realize you were from Ireland until I read the whole thread. I thought you were talking about the US Nationals, which were also tremendously muddy...
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I didn't realize you were from Ireland until I read the whole thread. I thought you were talking about the US Nationals, which were also tremendously muddy...
    Yep, Dublin, Ireland. Though I doubt either were as muddy the Belgian Nationals were!

mtbr member
    Nope.
    Haven't ordered it yet.
    I'm still hung up on colors.
    But-I've narrowed it down. Now I'm waiting to hear back from Jenny to see which frame colors are an option thru YS colors.
    I'm down to 12 color options. That all look like Ti.

I've sent her 20 emails. She's always been quick in her reply. But I would understand if she just kicks me to the curb and says "Go away. You're bothering us here at Miracle."

But I'm getting closer.
    It's late.
    I should sleep more. Ride more.
    And think of this damned bike less.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @Johnny Chicken
    Frame arrived yesterday, here are some pics with colors.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0052.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0053%7E01.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0054%7E01.jpg
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0055.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0056.jpg  

mtbr member
    N1xon-

Umm... Let me take a minute to properly calm myself before I respond.
    Umm....
    SWEET BABY JESUS ITS GORGEOUS!
    (that's the toned down version of what I first thought when I saw it)

That slick paintjob was how much?$50?
    Well done. Really well done.
    Is it 3 colors? Or just one color, one bit of raw carbon, and one sliver of gloss carbon?

It really is a great looking bike.
    From other Miracle bikes I've seen, there's a similarity. Did you come up w/ the entire scheme? Or did Jenny suggest something?

My intent was to make mine look Ti, then put a stack of old Moots stickers on it. Just to eff w/ the Moots diciples that have mathcing shorts/Audi/Jersey/Wife... All labeled Moots.

Now I'm going to can that idea. I've wasted no small amount of time comparing YS Colors million variants of grey.
    And after seeing yours, well I really like it and new options are flooding my addled brain.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    OH-
    What scheme did you go w/ on the fork?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @Johnny Chicken
    I was also a bit suprised how well made the paintjob was for only 50$ extra. Black colour is matt black, don't know if this is raw carbon or painted...guess it's painted. Top tube color is black glossy. So it's really 3 colours. Fork is also matt black.

I first used pantone colour chart to choose colours but miracle only had YS. They didn't really tell my the exact matt colour of black but guess it's stadard colour they using. For the matt red it's YS-706.

Jenny did sent me an example design, I mainly changed the rear design and some in the front and colour. Can post the original picture from Jenny if you want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Been watchin this thread with interest as I'm torn between something like this or a road disc frame. Was edgin towards a pucker road frame but that paintjob alone has swung me back a little. Really nice to see what is possible.

Any more thoughts on the ride on this frame?. Wondering how racy/comfortable it is and whether it'd lend itself to a road commute.

mtbr member
    I've got a great Pantone color that I'd like but Jenny (I'm still curious about whether that's even a female, or single person and not a group) can only do the YS colors.
    And man are there ever plenty YS colors. Too many choices really. I've narrowed it down to grey, silver, Ti, some sort of blue, white, or British Green. So that's like 80 options.

Gee- if you're wondering what Miracle can deliver? Here's what Jenny sent me:
    ????

I'm not sure just how many of these are possible for the frames. Evidently most.
    When I sent her a list of 12 options, she said two could be done right now, and that some of the others could be done, but would take longer. She/He couldn't tell me which colors weren't possible.

Gee-What's a pucker frame?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by n1x0n View Post
    @Johnny Chicken
    Frame arrived yesterday, here are some pics with colors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0052.jpg 
Views:	1313 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	957611

Name:	DSC_0053~01.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	957612

Name:	DSC_0054~01.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	957613

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	957614
    Are you in the USA?

How long did your frame take to get through customs?

Where there any additional charges?

Looks great!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live in Norway. We have to pay additional 25% extra of total value when declaring local VAT. Miracle re-wrote invoice to lower amount, a symbolic value to reduce tax. It took about 3-4 weeks from payment to delivey. This was in the middle of christmas so ordering on normal basis it's properly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by c1gary View Post
    Are you in the USA?

How long did your frame take to get through customs?

Where there any additional charges?

Looks great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ta Nixon, lots of colours to go at there indeed.

Er "pucker" as in genuine or rather branded road frame.

mtbr member

Almost there...

If you're reading this, I'm sorry to be offering you yet another "hey, I"m almost ready to order...." posting.
    But this time I mean it. Really. You know I love you.... Did you get a hair cut? You look great. Anyway....

I'm wating for Jenny to make a mock up image of the colors I want.
    I'd like it to look similar to this:
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg

Thanks C1Gary. Your painted frame moved me away from the one color frame I had intended to go w/.
    And if you are looking for beautful ideas? Do a google image search for Vanilla Bikes.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I picked up a MC286 from miracle bikes! Still waiting on a couple of parts but I'll post some pictures later.

mtbr member
    Box-
    Did you decide to go painted? Did Jenny send you any mock up photos?
    Please post anything you've got.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Box-
    Did you decide to go painted? Did Jenny send you any mock up photos?
    Please post anything you've got.
    Nope, went with matte black.

I'll post pictures soon.

mtbr member
    One more Miracle frame ordered.
    Now I wait and wait.....
    Hopefully- it'll look like this:

On a side note- Many are wondering about hubs.
    I've always been a DT fan but they aren't cheap. Not even w/ some sort of a hook up.
    Now and then you can score a 350 for a low price.

I've just heard of these. Have held a pair, and thoght... hmmm Perhaps there is a low cost option that doesn't suck.
    NEW Ultralight Disc MTB HUB Rear 12x142mm 12mm Thru Axle 261G 32 Holes | eBay

If I go that route, I might order thru BikeHubStore.com. At least then I'd have a place to complain to if they suck. And still seem cheap.
    Any of you have experience w/ these?
    MTB180 Front Disc Hub - QR or 15mm/20mm Thru Axle

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Got one today. Quality is so much better than the open molds of a few years ago. Really great looking frame. I got it in 7 days ordered via eBay.

I did think it would come with threads for the thru axle. I thought my mtbs had threads built in...

Those don't come with thru axles do they? Separate kit?

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They also snaked some sort of liner through the frame. That will save HOURS of frustration.

I'll be running full housing for whatever I can, but it sort of looks like that could be tough. The bracket on the underside may not take housing, just this liner. What's everyone else doing?

mtbr member
    Wow. A week?
    Fantastic. Thanks for the info.
    I ordered thru axles w/ mine. Think it added about $23 for both.
    No threads eh? Weird. Did it come w/ both QR and thru axle dropouts?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I read about a guy that uses dental floss and a shop vac to pull a feeder line thru internal route frames.
    Haven't tried, but it sounded simple.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No qr option. Just thru.

mtbr member
    I've been following for a while as I was thinking about ordering one of these as well.

No threads on the Thru-Axel? Is that for both the fork as well as the frame? So i guess you'll be tapping your own threads? A TA without threads seems like an error... How does the TA stay in? I'd send them a note with close-up pics.

Show us some more pics...

I'm curious what others think about that.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo View Post
    I've been following for a while as I was thinking about ordering one of these as well.

No threads on the Thru-Axel? Is that for both the fork as well as the frame? So i guess you'll be tapping your own threads? A TA without threads seems like an error... How does the TA stay in? I'd send them a note with close-up pics.

Show us some more pics...

I'm curious what others think about that.

S
    Do not tap the fork! Reach out to the supplier and order a thru axle. It comes with a insert that is threaded.

mtbr member
    From what little I could glean from online photos- their axles came with a "nut" of some sort- that went on the end of the axle.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

I can snap a picture when I get home of the thru axle assembly if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I can snap a picture when I get home of the thru axle assembly if needed

That would be super helpful.

Also, anyone know of a company that makes something similar? I'd rather just get something here in the US then get it sent from China.

And lastly, what headset are you all using? I asked them to include one but, alas, they did not.

mtbr member
    I'll be using some no name turd bucket from Miracle.
    Will let you know how it looks quality wise.
    Cost $15
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422493628.346022.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422493735.027672.jpg

Let me know if you need any specific shots. Iirc I beleive the sleeve was tapered so I had to press it in by hand and then throw the wheel in there and let the TA pull the sleeve tight

mtbr member
    JKidd-
    Thanks for taking the time for photos.
    On MTBR I often see folks who intend to take a shot or two, but just don't make the time to.
    I've wondered plenty how Miracle went about doing their thru design. Scoured plenty of photos, but none were very clear.
    Are you using their axles? Or someone elses?
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

JKidd-
    Thanks for taking the time for photos.
    On MTBR I often see folks who intend to take a shot or two, but just don't make the time to.
    I've wondered plenty how Miracle went about doing their thru design. Scoured plenty of photos, but none were very clear.
    Are you using their axles? Or someone elses?
    -JCB
    This is a 480 a2c tapered mtb fork from ican. But they are all the same as far I am concerned. I ordered the axle from them. I think it was $17 for the TA. I thought about ordering a TA front cx fork but I really wanted a 3k weave so I went with a 9mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    They also snaked some sort of liner through the frame. That will save HOURS of frustration.

I'll be running full housing for whatever I can, but it sort of looks like that could be tough. The bracket on the underside may not take housing, just this liner. What's everyone else doing?
    You are all lucky, mine didn't come with any inner housing. Indeed it will save you a lot of time! The exception may be the full housing you intend to do. I wrote up about it on this thread a while back if you want to read about how I did it. Perhaps as a startpoint, don't fit the BB until the cabling is completed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm really happy with the apparent quality so far! I ordered some carbon bottle cages and am also very surprised how nice they look.

Just like all of you my fork/frame didnt come threaded... Indeed strange. Ended up ordering axles from them as most of the axles i could find were for threaded frames/forks.

Need to source a few more parts, barrel adjusters for breaks/shifters. And i'm missing a couple of random screws. Hopefully my LBS has everything I need.

I got the BSA bottom bracket, slapped a Shimano and a race face crank. Looking forward to it cranking on this thing.

Sounds like most of you didnt snake full liners through the frame? Or is that the goal with the liner they provided in the frame? *I've never built my own bike... I have full liners for shifters but it seems like it would be easier to just use the provided liner? If I were to use them, do you just cut them to the length of the inside of the frame and leave them inside?

Cheers. I'll take more detailed pictures tomorrow and post them.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-1972309_10100540463269474_6819298884245690357_n%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Box-
    Damn you and those white rims. (scene shot w/ me shaking my fist at a cloudy sky, thunder in the distance)

I'm sitting on some straight Stans Arch rims. They did great on the mountain bikes. So they'll do fine on this. Even if they are more than the doctor ordered.
    But they aren't white. And man- those white look good.

This entire build is done as a bit of an experiment. I am so used to many brands and parts. Plus I'm sitting on old parts. So I thought, I can do this on the cheap! And really, given that the entire thing will come in at about $1200, it is cheap-ish.

But white rims.... Hmmm....
    Now I need to rethink. My original plan was to run use a stripe or two of reflective tape on them. Like an 1" worth on each side of the stem. Help me find the stem in a pinch, and helps cars find me when it's late and I'm cooked and town is still soo soo far away.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    They are Velocity Blunt SL's with chris king hubs, also might be a bit much also but gotta have nice shoes on her...

Toys toys toys....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    can anyone confirm the bb drop on the ac109/mc286 thru axle frame?

if i read the geo chart below correctly, bb drop is column G. 55mm drop for a size 54 sounds like a terrible ride. just wondering ...

http://g04.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1LZsQG...Xq6xXFXXXS.jpg

mtbr member

It's on it's way

So far- Custom paint (2 colors) took about 2.5 weeks from order to shipping.
    It added $60 to my final cost.

In my head- I wanted it to look a bit like this:
    But that is one beautiful paint job. No way it would match that.

So "Jenny" sent me this:

All in all, not bad. I might add some tape here and there to make it less candy cane like.

And here is what Jenny just sent me. It looks like this:

So far, so good.
    As the build comes together, I'll keep you posted.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, that looks pretty good. Are they able to do any logos or decals?

mtbr member
    I don't know about decals. (but I have some old ones I'll be using, to the dismay of any proud Moots owner)

I ordered carbon rims from Light-Bicycle last fall for the mtn bikes (buy them, they are great) and there was an option for decals.
    Some Miracle photos show their name so I'd bet they have the skills if you can give them the art and dimensions.

Then you'd be all set. You could start your own Brand.
    BCROTEAU BIKES doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I'm on my way to breaking the internet w/ checking the shipping link for my frame. Soon!

Anyway- Frame owners: What is the correct seat tube diameter for this frame?
    I've seen it listed as 27.2 and 31.6.
    Which is accurate?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well after waiting an additional 12 days to get the right axles, they sent one that doesn't seem to be right.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0025.jpg

The "pinch" bolt isn't wide enough to bind with the carbon, and its too deep anyway, as it would stick out a decent amount. I ended up flipping it around as the flange braces against the edge, so its not pretty, but works for now.

As for the frame, its great quality. I like the build so far. Just finished it up today after getting the thru axles.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0027.jpg

CX1
    Roval SL wheels
    HyRD brakes

Haven't gotten the weight yet, but feels to be around 18.5 with flat kit. Frame weighed 1220g and the fork 395g uncut in a 19"

mtbr member
    AMD-
    Nice ninja stealth bike.
    Really subtle.

Those Roval wheels really add some nice subtle highlights.
    Do you know the size of the seatpost? I can't tell from various sources if it's a 27.2 or 31.6mm.

How are the HYrd brakes?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yes, 27.2 seatpost. rode the bike around the block and think the hyrd are going to be something really great. i mainly mtb so going to less braking capabilities on the road is a bummer. i think these will satisfy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice looking builds here chaps. I'm liking the custom paint options and Im again tempted by this but mainly for my road commute. Really interested in some further ride reports if anyone has a few moments to jot down a few thoughts

mtbr member
    My frame showed up today. I need to work on a decent post about it all but-
    3 weeks from ordering to my doorstep.
    Paint is good, though not exceptional, but worth an extra $60.
    F thru axle is a bit dismal. Makes me think the one delivered isn't the best option for this fork.
    MB forgot to include the rear thru axle dropouts so I"m waiting on a reply about that.

But don't mis-read all that. It's amazing. And for the cost- even more so.
    No ride report. Waiting on parts.

Better report to follow as time allows.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looks sweet JC - My little boy would love the red though I've been staring into space mulling over a real clean looking grey and white version. Something halfway between yours and a niner air maybe!!!

Anyway chop chop get her built!!!. I need those ride reports, still not sure what to go for at the mo :S

mtbr member
    Gee-
    That might just be the kindest way to say I've chosen bad paint. Well, that's how I heard it anyway! But, I also might just agree if that was your intent. Bit too much flash for me but there's a scheme in my head I'm going towards.
    Black bands of reflective tape will help calm it a bit, make it less cat-in-the-hat-ish.
    I jut threw electrical tape on it at each white/red junction. The change is amazing. Looks much less like a candy cane.
    Now... do I put old Moots stickers on it? Or vintage Salsa? Either would be an outright lie but might be good for a laugh.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Here's the small difference a (poorly done job of) bit electrical tape can do.
    In the end, I'll use a reflective black tape. So it might look a bit more odd, but ultimately make things safer.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0449.jpg

It wasn't my intent to make it look like a snake but... evidently some image from my childhood has sprouted out of my head into this new frame.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-kingsnake-1okyxfj.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry genuinely no offence intended. I love all the subtleties that a different finish can create. I spend far too much time looking at cars and wondering why certain designs were chosen and how they age over time. Tis soo easy to get sucked into all this.... as I slowly am it appears.
    As noted just that addition of tape makes quite a difference indeed. I think it looks better in a sense although it does take away some of the simplicity of the initial design. It's all so very subjective tho.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have you guys had luck figuring out the issues with the front thru axle? It looks like they used the same one from a mtb version with wider dropouts (and a set screw). I just got this fork/axle combo and have similar issues and no response from MB. I don't like the idea of running the nut backwards since you'd be clamping against a very thin bore. I could see that nut mushrooming the carbon (or just straight up cracking).

mtbr member
    I've been turning that fork/axle over in my head for 24 ours now and have no answers.
    I understand exactly what you mean aout the narrow collar.
    The lack of response from MB is disheartening. They sure were there for me before purchase!

All I can offer, for now, is that it seems there's something missing that would clear it all up. Like we'd see the correct axle integration and be like "Oh yea... of course, that works." but instead are fiddling w/ only partially integrated parts.
    When I know more, you all will too. But that'll be a bit.
    GF and I are loading into the VW for riding elsewhere, no MTBR allowed!
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok, cool - and likewise. I also noticed that the through hole on the nut side is a pretty loose fit, so they must be relying on the nut to locate in the counterbore, otherwise there's going to be play. They really need that axle to fit up like the mtb.

I opened a dispute with them and am trawling other .cn axle suppliers to see if a different version will fit. I'm guessing the road/cross fork is a new addition and they didn't consider that the narrower fork legs would throw off the axle fitment. You'd hope they'd step up and provide a revised axle. In the meantime I'm going to try a knurled washer on the lever side to get the spacing, and then check for play. Putting the nut in backwards is kind of nice because it aligns the axle - but I really don't trust the thin engagement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't forget they are out because of Chinese new year. Don't expect a response for a week or two.

mtbr member
    CHINESE NEW YEAR!?
    Thank you for that.

I have sent "Jenny" 3 emails, luckily none were rude though one was being crafted in my head w/ a bit more volume.

Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 02-22-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    AMD has a F thru axle most like mine. I'm trying to think of a clever way to work around it all. The axle itself is just a shade too long, or the the threaded area is just a hair too short. Either way when I push the F axle's collar into the recess, it will run out of threads before it all gets snug, so perhaps the washer idea on the lever end will do the job.
    But it looks (to me) that the F dropouts are just carbon aren't they? Not like some aluminum bonded into the carbon legs. Just carbon.
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 02-22-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Here's one quick cheap way to get over this hurdle until MB can respond. Thanks for the idea of the washers. Looks real classy.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0484%5B1%5D.jpg

I'd still like to see the "nut" side collar fit into the hollow w/ a closer tolerance.
    Perhaps there's an answer out there we've yet to see. The disc side of the fork is a bit more burly w/ an aluminum insert of some sort, the non-disc side seems like it's all carbon. A nut that would fit into it tightly might spread forces into a larger area of carbon.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0485%5B1%5D.jpg

Also
    Here's the shot of the rear dropouts. They are held in place by some pretty small screws. But, they butt up against a nice shelf of sorts. Might do the trick although I have a hard time imagining what direction the braking forces try to pull the axle.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0483%5B1%5D.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Well that is one way to address the issue but I am not sure I would be overly confident in that setup. Seems to me that is begging for the carbon to wear, fatigue, or fractures, after which the 'nut' side of the fork will be floating around in the dropout allowing the front wheel to wobble, ultimately dragging on the fork leg at which time you go down like a ton of bricks!

Thanks for the idea of the washers. Looks real classy.

Name:	IMG_0484[1].jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	966604

mtbr member
    MS-
    It's not my preferred fix, but for now, it might do.
    I'm not to worried about undue carbon wear. Not until the bike is laced up and rolling.

I have one idea for a fix but it'll take some time to fabricate a new nut.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I 'shimmed' the nut with a few wraps of electrical tape. It's taken the play out which should help a bit. I found some knurled washers which might be preferable to flat if you can find them.
    Hoping we hear back soon - otherwise TRP should have their fork out in the spring.

mtbr member
    I have this idea to make a new nut. A bit wider to fill the hollow in, as you did w/ electrical tape (I might use brass shim material in the mean time), and with a bit of a collar that will extend down past the axle and butt up against the inside of the fork.

Veritas- Did you put the knureld washer on the lever side? Or find one that can fit in the hollow?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Couldn't find one to fit the nut side. It's under the lever - it's a nordlock if you've ever seen them.

mtbr member
    Bit by bit, the bike is coming together.
    Parts from here, bits from there.
    I'm glad to say that a WTB Nano 40 looks like it'll fit.
    I'm still waiting to sort out the thru hub w/ QR dropouts but I think it'll go.

Has anyone heard from MB? Is Jenny returning emails again?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

threading rear hydro brake line

If you step outside your home and listen closely- you just might still be able to hear the echoes of my frustration.
    It didn't take long (45 minutes?) but the stiff TRP Hylex brake lines had some bends and turns that helped them fight their way thru the frame to the rear chainstay.
    (old ratty bar tape on top tube is to protect it from bar slap during the build)

Now I just need more parts and a bleed kit and time to ride and....

I dont know if anyone cares about this thread anymore but I'll keep posting.
    -JCB

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    keep posting

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    @JCB (and anyone else for that matter)

Please keep posting as this is the frame I'm interested in purchasing .
    Especially if a 40c (ish) will fit front and back

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    I'm using the WTB KOM i23. Way more stout than a CX bike needs but it can serve double duty on other bikes if need be. I think it's an enduro rim. 450g on the scales and pretty wide too.
    The 40c front fits no problem.
    I stuffed the rear hub 142 hub into the frames QR dropouts just to check fit. It fit but was close. Hopefully it will still fit when I have the correct axle/frame configuration.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2004

new whip

please keep posting.

certainly following this as this is winning the current "new whip" competition!!!!
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did get a reply, but it wasn't useful - that was a couple days ago now. Nothing since.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I dont know if anyone cares about this thread anymore but I'll keep posting.
    -JCB
    Please keep posting!....I'm considering this frame but waiting to see if you guys work out all the kinks!.... I check this thread daily! :P

mtbr member
    Are any of you sitting in a cubicle at work? On a Friday?
    Perhaps the answer to our fork/axle woes lies in this web site?
    Search out ChinerTown.com
    Seems like a forum specific to Asian carbon.
    I'll look later but am too busy shoveling snow.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not much happening in their road section, sadly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Please keep posting!....I'm considering this frame but waiting to see if you guys work out all the kinks!.... I check this thread daily! :P
    ^^^^This!! Really interested to see how the fork TA issues resolve. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    These guys seem to have several options of thru axles.
    No real stats on their dimensions so I can't yet say what might work.
    Thru axle quick release - Shop Cheap Thru axle quick release from China Thru axle quick release Suppliers at Shenzhen Ican Sports Equipment Co., Ltd. on Aliexpress.com

My current front axle cure is to run my slightly too long axle w/ an end nut that is modified from something that is a better fit.

I'm looking for an end nut that is 21mm on the outside diameter (vs the 19mm that MB sent me). No way I'll find a smooth outer nut- unless one of you knows of a source for such an oddball item?

I'm no pro and have almost no metal working tools but figure mounting the new end nut into a drill, them spinning it across a file might allow me to reduce the outer diameter to something near perfect.
    Something that'll fill the left side of the fork- that hollow area we've talked about.
    And something that will butt up against the inside of the hollow.

I looked into disassembling the F axle and cutting the lever end shorter.
    My limited skillzzz won't allow that as a solution, but I did get it nearly all apart.

More to follow- and photos too!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ordered a couple of 15mm axles from ebay, believe the seller to be zgr9? they were $7.88 each.
    Specs are 143.40mm from QR side cap to threads, total length is 164.2mm, end cap dia. is 22mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff-
    I'll look into those as well but might wait to hear how they work for you before purchase.
    Sure is a cheap experiment. I think I spent almost that much at the hardwear store on washers and nuts to modify.
    The end nut on my MB axle has an outer edge of 22mm- and I don't think it'd fit in the hollow.
    Please keep us posted.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm getting some traction with Jenny, might be smoke and mirrors but she claims they have another axle to send out. I'll wait to see a photo of it installed before I hold my breath on that one

mtbr member
    Me too-
    I guess the "Jenny" persona is back on the clock.

She says she is willing to send me the correct F axle (saying that their supplier gave the wrong parts) and the rear TA dropouts.

If I end up w/ the TA drops, I'll be sitting on one set of QR drops if anyone wants them.
    Looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel, although the end of the tunnel involves shipping from Asia to Colorado!
    We'll see eh?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You'll probably find out before I do my dispute closes in a couple days and I can't end it without being at risk, so the parts may be going back on the boat
    Hopefully 'Jenny' is right, but I still don't see a way to retain the nut in the fork...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I also noticed my front axle was way to long, Jenny is sending me a new one. How does your 142x12 axle fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    JCB, those axles I ordered are for a concept fork that Ive been working on the prototype for. Hopefully by summer the world will see my concept, idea and reasoning for this fork.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 02-28-2015 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Verita-
    So you opened a dispute w/ Miracle over this F axle issue? Or do you instigate it via PayPal?
    How does that work and how has it gone?

Were there other issues beyond the F axle?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The dispute is through Aliexpress - they seem to handle it all and don't pay the vendor until everything is resolved. I'm hoping MB can get me an axle before the dispute expires, otherwise it automatically escalates. I guess it works well, its gotten Jenny to start talking to me again

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile

Definitely subscribing to this thread in hopes that the front thru axle gets worked out. Thanks to those that are keeping the masses up to date, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    They say that the best prediction for future behavior is past behavior.
    If that proves true w/ MB- I'll have a new F axle (and thru axle rear dropouts) but it won't happen within 10 days.
    Waking up to at least a foot of fresh snow, my timeline is pushed back a bit anyway!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Clearance Clarence

I'm at work. It snowed a foot.
    So I'm posting random semi-useless updates.
    Today's is about clearance and alignment.

This entire frame project began when I learned of WTBs Nano 40. I can't call it a balloon, but it's pretty wide. I thought it would go well on several bikes I already have.
    Then, in my greedy, first world problem way- I thought it'd go even better on something NEW.
    Way too much internet use later and fast forward to now.

Zero issues on the fork. Plenty of space. F wheel fits nicely in the fork and seems well aligned. I have no photos of the fork.

Rear wheel is a tight fit. And perhaps a bit crooked in the frame.
    I'll confirm proper dish on the wheel but there might be minor alignment issues.
    NOT enough to worry about it. This tire is huge for a CX frame and the slim tolerances make this minor issue more apparent.
    My Blacksheep and SS Moots had similar issues.

I won't fault a $480 frame/fork too much!
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0509.jpg

I'll also wait to see if the Thru Axle dropouts they are sending allow the wheel to line up better, or hopefully not worse!

As usual, it's hard to get a shot that shows it all. I'm not looking forward to hours of mud w/ these close tolerances but, it'll do for 90% of my days. (I'm not going to race CX. That'd be crazy talk!)

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0508.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0508.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0509.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 03-01-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Could you not just flip the wheel and check for correct wheel dish / dropout alignment ?
    Just curious

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    And put the disc on the drive side? Even temporarily?

Like some sort of insane crazy person... Umm.. Who didn't think to try that simple solution... Even though that's what I do in the wheel stand...
    I've got no excuses.

Yes, I could try that simple and effective test.
    Thanks.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Totally insane !
    What kind of idiot would even suggest such a thing ???
    Sorry
    LOL

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can someone with this frame please measure and confirm the BB drop.

seems weird that all these companies have gone BACK from the 65-70mm drop to a 57mm. i have a plan to fix it, but interested still.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel!!!

mtbr member

BB Drop

Using a high tech cotton string laced thru the drops- my frame (size 54) measures at 64mm.
    Give or take perhaps one mm.

I'm not sure there's too much to trust from their schematics.
    DUring the process I saw several variants on the seat tube diameter.
    In the end, it's 27.2.
    Mine was anyway.
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 03-02-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Accurate measuremenet
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm at work. It snowed a foot.
    So I'm posting random semi-useless updates.
    Today's is about clearance and alignment.

This entire frame project began when I learned of WTBs Nano 40. I can't call it a balloon, but it's pretty wide. I thought it would go well on several bikes I already have.
    Then, in my greedy, first world problem way- I thought it'd go even better on something NEW.
    Way too much internet use later and fast forward to now.

Zero issues on the fork. Plenty of space. F wheel fits nicely in the fork and seems well aligned. I have no photos of the fork.

Rear wheel is a tight fit. And perhaps a bit crooked in the frame.
    I'll confirm proper dish on the wheel but there might be minor alignment issues.
    NOT enough to worry about it. This tire is huge for a CX frame and the slim tolerances make this minor issue more apparent.
    My Blacksheep and SS Moots had similar issues.

I won't fault a $480 frame/fork too much!

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	968735

I'll also wait to see if the Thru Axle dropouts they are sending allow the wheel to line up better, or hopefully not worse!

As usual, it's hard to get a shot that shows it all. I'm not looking forward to hours of mud w/ these close tolerances but, it'll do for 90% of my days. (I'm not going to race CX. That'd be crazy talk!)

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	968733
    The red looks super!

I can't remember if I mentioned it in my build post, but the dropouts required the two allen bolts to be tightened up after a few rides on both sides. Perhaps your dropouts are not aligned yet as this needs to be done?

mtbr member
    Racing-
    Why do the allens need to be tightened? Do they loosen? Or do they just seat into that ledge they butt up against?

Mine are tight but if they shift a bit, the alignment may improve.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Might be worth checking if there is a bit of paint fowling where the rear dropouts snug up to.

mtbr member
    Could be.
    From looking at the housing fittings and bottle bosses- the paint/frame interface seems a bit rough.

Thanks.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Racing-
    Why do the allens need to be tightened? Do they loosen? Or do they just seat into that ledge they butt up against?

Mine are tight but if they shift a bit, the alignment may improve.
    Because while they seemed tight enough on receipt from Ican, they managed to work loose after a few rides. I only had to tighten them once since and they have been fine. I didn't notice at the time if they affected the wheel alignment though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone having luck on the fork axle? I got some pictures from MB and their 'new axle' looks exactly like the old one. Maybe it's marginally shorter to correct the length, but the nut is definitely still sloppy.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast