mtbr member
    Jun 2009

cat question for a 'cross race this weekend

hey all - raced mountain bike the last few years (just cat 3/sport), and this is my first year trying some CX races. I've done 2, and been pretty crushed obviously. Not DFL, but not so great either obviously.

so i'm clearly a cat 5 guy, really.

There is a race this weekend and it's a bit of a drive. Of course the cat 4/5 is early, at 8am.

There is a 10am Masters 45 plus. I've just turned 45. That said, it doesn't say whether it's "open" 45 plus or 1/2/3. There IS a masters 35 plus 1/2/3.

So am i assume the 45 plus is "open"? What i'm trying to get at, is i want to do the later race because i'm a lazy ass and i don't want to get out of bed on sat morning at 5am

However i also don't want to eff someone's race up, or be TOTALLY out of place.

What's protocol here? again, i'm not a total race newbie, i won't be going THAT slow (i guess - but i don't want to get anyone aggro at me...thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Don't over think it. Unless otherwise noted, 45+ races are open, and can have a big spread of ability levels. If you're concerned about getting in the way of the fast guys, just start in back.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ah, thanks evenflo...you're right. I tend to get a little anxious around these - they are a little more aggro than the mtb races (not by much, but..)

That's what i did at one a few weeks back (2nd race ever)...started literally as far back as possible, and it was another that was 45 plus, and def knew it was "open."

Started way back, and ended up 70th out of 95 dudes. For my first few races, i'll take it! especially starting way back...i really have no expectations - and i shouldn't. Just want to have fun, and i dig the community and atmosphere at the 'cross races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I went from road, to cross, to Mtb. I race with some pretty serious dudes in both cross and Mtb, but you are right about the vibe; we seem to have more fun then the roadies.

You've got the right attitude, so I'm sure that you'll do well, regardless of the placing.