mtbr member
    Sep 2008

carbon vs AL frame

I'm looking at two bikes, both fuji's with the almost exactly part spec and slightly different geometry's. the blue one has a little longer chainstays and headtube length. I'm trying to figure out which would offer the best bang for my buck, I want to use the bike for gravel grinders up here in the midwest and winter training rides (think 20 degrees and sloppy roads) it'll be ridden hard and washed with a pressure washer just as much as it'll get muddy. I might do a cx race or two, but the ones around here are more beer drinking then racing so I'm not too worried about super lightweight.

My question being is what frame material? There is a $550 price difference between the two bikes (carbon is more obviously) but will I even notice the ride quality difference of carbon vs. AL off road and the occasional times slicks are thrown on during the winter? Would bigger cx tires just absorb the differences in ride quality?

Will I regret buying a slightly heavier AL bike further down the road? But then again I could use the carbon version as a replacement or backup for my carbon road bike if needed, or as a cool different bike to take on slower group rides.

both have force groupos

thoughts?

Ninja Master Powers
    something to think about.... there are many advantages to carbon other than weight alone....

mtbr member
    If you have the $550, then get the Carbon, if not then get the Al. I ride Al and it is quite stiff. Carbon is stronger and lighter but costs more, that being said, Al works great for me. If only difference is price spend the money I am sure you will like the carbon.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    I have an Alloy bike & a Carbon. The only alloy bike I would consider is the CAAD10 by cannondale.

I have a carbon bike. The advantages are that it's stiffer, absorbs the road noise more and in essence irons these out. As its only 500$ more I would recommend you go for the Carbon as it has a slight lower weight & better advantages overall.

I only have one alloy and the rest of my bikes are carbon.

Best wishes

jrm
    mtbr member

Save the $550 for upgrades?

chances are the weight difference isnt much and that the margin could be reduced with component/wheel upgrades YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm thinking the carbon version is what I'm leaning towards, lighter stiffer and better ride quality and the possibility of using it as a spare for my road bike. Should I be concerned about the durability of the fuji carbon compared to other brands of carbon? I'm mainly a trek carbon guy, and this will be my first non-trek carbon bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You must be getting a better deal than the retail, because the website puts the diff between the two at $930. The Altamira has the carbon frame, full carbon fork and upgraded crank (Force vs. FSA Energy). I personally don't trust aluminum steerers.

Fuji Bikes | SPECIALTY | CYCLOCROSS | ALTAMIRA CX 1.3

Fuji Bikes | SPECIALTY | CYCLOCROSS | CROSS 1.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I'm not paying retail for these. Its a speciality shop sponsor discount.

The Brutally Handsome
    Riding aluminum frame isn't going to cause you to lose a race, I would personally put that money towards wheels.

mtbr member
    building frames/forks with carbon allows the manufacturers/engineers freedom to "tune" the ride character more... which leads to a wider difference from brand to brand and design to design... makes comparing apples with apples much more difficult... if you pick a good one it can be all that it's hyped up to be... that said, even Aluminum can be designed for some comfort... I'm thinking about trying Cdales new CX Aluminum frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Since your getting a deal, the better frame is tempting. The carbon would smooth out the gravel roads more. Im guessing the carbon f&f will save you a pound, and we all know the weight penalty that comes with discs. I got the Dirty Disco frame, and the carbon-frame-with-discs combo isn't too bad (18.25 lb.).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    AL with disks brakes.