mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Carbon Forks -Can they be trusted??

Hi- I bought my 17 year old a Rocky Mountain 2013 Solo Cross CXR a couple of months back. Yesterday, when hitting a small bump on a roadway the front forks broke and sent the kid flying. The kid is fine and the bike is in to be fixed. The forks broke halfway up from the backside forward. The front wheel survived close to unscathed.
    The issue I have is 1) Rocky Mountain says that the bike must have been in an accident (but it wasn't) and two-once it is fixed with new forks that it sounds like I need to pay for-my kid does not know whether the bike is safe since it broke out of the blue- with light road riding only.

So the question is- once I have replacement forks- can I trust Carbon fiber forks? Thoughts?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Carbon Forks -Can they be trusted??

Quote Originally Posted by JPH_Calgary View Post
    Hi- I bought my 17 year old a Rocky Mountain 2013 Solo Cross CXR a couple of months back. Yesterday, when hitting a small bump on a roadway the two front forks broke and sent the kid flying. The kid is fine and the bike is in to be fixed. The forks broke halfway up from the backside forward. The front wheel survived close to unscathed.
    The issue I have is 1) Rocky Mountain says that the bike must have been in an accident (but it wasn't) and two-once it is fixed with new forks that it sounds like I need to pay for-my kid does not know whether the bike is safe since it broke out of the blue- with light road riding only.

So the question is- once I have replacement forks- can I trust Carbon fiber forks? Thoughts?
    Yes, carbon forks can be trusted, and you only need to install one of them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What is the experience with them? Would this be a one off or are they much more fragile than steel /moly . I never had to worry about them breaking -just bending -in the past.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have a carbon fork on both of my bikes, one came with it, the other I added. Both are fine.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1128/2500

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did you witness this break? I'm more than a little skeptical. A 17 yo having a catastrophic break with "light road riding"..... Um yeah.

I wheelie, stoppie, and lightly jump my carbon forked CX bike. No issues.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning View Post
    Did you witness this break? I'm more than a little skeptical. A 17 yo having a catastrophic break with "light road riding"..... Um yeah.

I wheelie, stoppie, and lightly jump my carbon forked CX bike. No issues.
    He was riding back from Rowing workout with a friend and his friend was quite puzzled what happened.The bike is only two months old and still gets well looked after and pampered. We bought as a 'tough' road bike- it has never been 'crashed' in anyway nor has it been off road. I think there must have been a flaw in that particular fork. The guy a the bike shop said that the fact that it broke with a jagged edge means that it crashed however that is crap since a cloth reinforced product will always have a jagged edge unless it was pure resin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    probably a 1 in a million defect then

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPH_Calgary View Post
    What is the experience with them? Would this be a one off or are they much more fragile than steel /moly . I never had to worry about them breaking -just bending -in the past.
    It is almost impossible to buy a low-mid to upper end bike these days without a carbon fiber fork. Even in the early days of carbon forks, breaks were rare. These days, almost unheard of. So much so that I'd say your son isn't telling you the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. The bike was not crashed and there is no reason for the kid to not relay the truth. The front wheel was in fine condition after the mishap and the location of the breaks were at about the half way point on the spokes so I really don't know how they could break there-even in a crash without the wheel being damaged.
    If it is a one in a million event or if the fork was damaged during handling or shipping -then that is okay. It is more of a case of trusting the piece.
    Thanks again for your replys.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Of choice, I wouldn't have a CX bike without carbon forks.
    My Avanti wore a pair of Specialized TriCross forks and got ridden everywhere my MTB bikes do.

Formerly of Kent

Carbon Forks -Can they be trusted??

I'm not going to beat around the bush. Someone either crashed the bike, stomped on it repeatedly, threw it down a stairwell, or something equally violent. I've never owned a road or CX bike without a carbon fork. Never broken one, either.

That includes getting hit by a car that was going 55mph, and several other yard sale crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think the key some are missing here is "17 year old"
    When I was 17, any bike was a beater. Curbs were slammed into, bike was dropped repeatedly, crashes were frequent and hard. Even a hard pothole hit fast enough could cause some damage. Hell, I bent the steel fork that came on my first bike when I was 12, I couldn't tell you what did it, but it was toast after less than a year of riding.

I have ridden thousands of miles both on and off road on carbon forks and have never had one break. In the same time I have broken a frame, crankset, bottom bracket, two wheels and a saddle, but my reynolds carbon fork (and before it the ritchey) have never broken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    That includes getting hit by a car that was going 55mph, and several other yard sale crashes.
    Going to echo the others sentiments as the wife and I have had carbon forks on our road, tt, and cx bikes since the new millennium. And while I have not been hit by a car, I did t-bone a car that turned left in front of me while riding on a tt bike built from a Chinese open mold carbon frame and fork. I took a nice flight over the hood as ended up with a nice gouge on the lower leg from the chainring, but the impact did a whole lot more damage to the front of the ladies Toyota Camry than it did to my bike! Other than a slightly out of true Reynolds SDV 66 front wheel, the bike was/is fine.

jrm
    mtbr member
    The fork broke half way down the blade and theres no physical damage to the wheel or head/down tube junction? Maybe it IS a freak accident..but i doubt it. If you really wanna find out what happened have the fork analyzed..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys