mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cannondale CAADX Disc

Is anyone riding this bike? If so, are the discs worth the extra coin? I've seen mixed reviews on the brakes. Also, any rumors on the upcoming 2014 Cannondale cross bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't have it, but I do have a CAADX tiagra and was told when buying it that the disc brakes weren't very good on this bike and added a lot of weight and in general weren't worth the extra money just for the Discs. He said and I've been hearing elsewhere as well that it is likely best to wait a couple years before getting a CX bike with discs. Don't have much to add beyond that but it is what I heard. I'm really enjoying the bike otherwise!

mtbr member
    I've heard the same thing about discs.

I really wanted a disc CX bike after having such good experience with my disc MTB's, but info I got on this forum and from the bike shops led me to believe that discs aren't up to their full potential yet, and good ones are more than likely a few years off.

Really I think it's worth waiting for the hydro discs to come out.

I bought a bike with canti's last week, and while they aren't as good as my disc MTB's, I'm sure with a little tweaking they'll be much better than they are now.

It wasn't until I rode a Spec TriCross disc that I realized what I was hearing about discs was true. That bike didn't stop very well at all, I was very dissapointed with it. NOTHING like a MTB with disks.

I think the issue right now is getting it dialed in with the levers, MTB levers are just more condusive to discs at this point. Maybe in a few years the tech will improve, then will trickle down to less costly bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you need more stopping power try something like TRP CX8.4 mini Vs

TRP

do wonders over canti's

I really think that if I was looking for a new CX bike though I would be looking for a disc at least worth a test ride. While not technically a cx bike something like a salsa warbird.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Reply Cannondale CAADX Disc

I got the Caad X disc about a month and a half ago. I love it, compared to the Caad X Tiagra which I have taken out a couple times It brakes way better. I have been Taking my Caad X disc out on some single track in my area and have not had any trouble with brake power so far. When I go with my friend (who has the tiagra from last year) to the trails he hates when I ride in front of him because I can jump on my brakes in a pinch.

I have not seen anything on the 2014 line, hopefully soon they will leak some stuff.

AUSTIN TRI-CYCLIST - Austin's Triathlon and Cycling Shop, Austin, TX

TXTony
    I am riding a Super X with TRP Cantis. I have rode it on road. Gravel. Xc trails around here and overall I have found the brakes to work in a majority of the situations I have encountered. I took a few times of adjusting them to get them just right. Once adjusted I have had no issues. I have yet to find myself wishing I had got disc brakes on my cross bike. Not to say I won't try them on a cross bike in the future but so far the cantis have done the job. I may stick minis on it on the future

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I purchased this bike a few months ago. I have nothing to really compare it too as this is my first cross bike. The brakes are fine and do a good job. But they do not have the stopping power like the hydro discs on my mountain bike. I also bought this bike knowing I can upgrade parts as the industry changes. I also have to ride this bike for at least 5 years (wife's rules) and when better disc brakes come out i can slap them on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsutton19 View Post
    I purchased this bike a few months ago. I have nothing to really compare it too as this is my first cross bike. The brakes are fine and do a good job. But they do not have the stopping power like the hydro discs on my mountain bike. I also bought this bike knowing I can upgrade parts as the industry changes. I also have to ride this bike for at least 5 years (wife's rules) and when better disc brakes come out i can slap them on.
    That was my feeling with getting the disk version, I will be able to upgrade to hydraulic brakes as they start to come out. As we can see from a lot of the Pro cross riders and what the industry is doing that road hydraulic is coming. It will only be a matter of a few years before it trickles down to the lower group sets. So if you plan on getting one cross bike for the next few years and are open to doing ugrades over the years I recommend this bike. Took it out yesterday and had a blast on the local single track.

AUSTIN TRI-CYCLIST - Austin's Triathlon and Cycling Shop, Austin, TX

mtbr member
    I bought one in March and am struggling. I love the rig, with the exception of a fork end issue with symptoms of grinding/wear on the brake side, as well as fork shudder and a terrible chatter with front brake actuation. Starting a new thread under '2013CAADX Disc Fork/Brake Problem'

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No experience: in Europe the 58 cm size was already sold out in October 2012. I went for the Trek Crossrip instead

Nuts
    Sorry for digging up an old thread but wondering if anyone knows the max tire size that will fit on a CAADX disc?

Thanks
    And I love beer!!