Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10

    Can a hybrid be turned into a cyclocross?

    Hi, I was wondering if the frame of a hybrid and a cyclocross bike are alike or similar at least. I have a 2012 Giant Roam on Kenda Kross Supreme 700x35s. I thought that if I switched the suspension fork for a rigid one and maybe get a drop handlebar it will be basically a cyclocross bike. Am I right? Any opinions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    24
    This is kind of what I've done. I have a 2007 Giant FCR that had a rigid fork, but was more of a hybrid bike. I got drop bars for it and new tires and it works great. I don't race, but I do a lot of single track on it and such. It has worked great for me. Not sure about racing though.

  3. #3
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,051
    I've also done similar with my Jamis Coda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can a hybrid be turned into a cyclocross?-dscn6804p.jpg  


  4. #4
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    971
    Keep in mind the main hand position on drop bars in about four inches farther forward then on MTB bars. A true CX frame will be have a shorter top tube for this reason. So a bike that fits you with MTB bars may not with drop bars.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan17 View Post
    I got drop bars for it and new tires and it works great. I don't race, but I do a lot of single track on it and such. It has worked great for me. Not sure about racing though.
    Is the drop bar position in your bike comfortable?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Keep in mind the main hand position on drop bars in about four inches farther forward then on MTB bars. A true CX frame will be have a shorter top tube for this reason. So a bike that fits you with MTB bars may not with drop bars.
    Thanks, I had not considered that. Do you know of any mid level used cyclocross bike I can look into?

  7. #7
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Keep in mind the main hand position on drop bars in about four inches farther forward then on MTB bars. A true CX frame will be have a shorter top tube for this reason. So a bike that fits you with MTB bars may not with drop bars.
    No offense, but don't rule out using your hybrid based on a blanket statement. You need to do some actual measuring and math to see if the end result will be where you want it to be. Have you ever been fitted for a drop bar bike and know what length top tube, stem and bars should be? Also if you are not going to be competing, you need to decide what position you will be comfortable in and not necessarily what is most powerful.

    Over the years, I have dialed in my preferred riding position on 29ers and transferred that figure over to my hybrid. With some simple math, based on the published geometry charts, I then chose what bar and stem I wanted. After I assembled it all together, I found that the saddle to bar reach was identical to what I had been riding all along and felt instantly at home. So am I in the perfect riding position according to a fitting guru? Probably not, but it is what I prefer and enjoy!

    You should also consider the cost of the new handlebars, bar tape, shifters, cables and stem. When you add all that up, it may very well be cheaper to purchase a used cross bike or use your hybrid as a trade in at the LBS. Just make sure you have actually ridden that type of bike and know for sure that is what you want, then enjoy the ride.

  8. #8
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    No offense, but don't rule out using your hybrid based on a blanket statement. You need to do some actual measuring and math to see if the end result will be where you want it to be. Have you ever been fitted for a drop bar bike and know what length top tube, stem and bars should be? Also if you are not going to be competing, you need to decide what position you will be comfortable in and not necessarily what is most powerful.

    Over the years, I have dialed in my preferred riding position on 29ers and transferred that figure over to my hybrid. With some simple math, based on the published geometry charts, I then chose what bar and stem I wanted. After I assembled it all together, I found that the saddle to bar reach was identical to what I had been riding all along and felt instantly at home. So am I in the perfect riding position according to a fitting guru? Probably not, but it is what I prefer and enjoy!

    You should also consider the cost of the new handlebars, bar tape, shifters, cables and stem. When you add all that up, it may very well be cheaper to purchase a used cross bike or use your hybrid as a trade in at the LBS. Just make sure you have actually ridden that type of bike and know for sure that is what you want, then enjoy the ride.
    Wasn't trying to rule out the change, just a standard word of warning about something most people don't consider. I actually just went the other way and put some Jones bars on a CX bike and I now know that 150mm stems do exist and where to find them .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    24
    My drop bars are comfortable on my bike. I replaced the stem with one that had a flatter angle and was a little bit shorter to address the problem that big papa nut brought up. The hand positioning is a bit further forward than before but I still find it comfortable.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Do you know with what rigid fork can I replace my crappy Suntour Nex? Or what kind or size I should look for?

  11. #11
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,051
    The Giant website is listing a 63mm travel fork and when that is sagged to a normal rider weight, the axle to crown distance should come in to around 410mm/16.25". See if that is the measurement you come up with?

Similar Threads

  1. best hybrid? anyone make a 29er hybrid?
    By donn12 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 03:06 AM
  3. 24" Hybrid Cyclocross Build
    By Duntov1967 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
  4. Cyclocross vs Hybrid
    By niart in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
  5. Look what turned up!
    By Mr Pink in forum Turner
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •