mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with 9 speed Shimano drivetrain

I am trying to run Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with a 9 speed Shimano derailleur and a 9 speed Shimano cassette on this year's cyclocross build.

DaveSSS on Bike Forums ; mentioned previously that he measured (scientifically) that Campagnolo 10 speed shifters pull 2.5mm (of cable) five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. (and that Campy's actuation ratio is about 1.44).

I am curious if anyone has measured Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifter's cable pull? Or if anyone has experience on using Campagnolo 11 speed Ergo shifters with 9 speed Shimano.

This article is non-scientic, but seems to thinks that it works: http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-ca...-compatibility - (but they don't mention the non-linear amount of cable pull issues).

mtbr member
    Wut. Can you explain your reasoning behind this combination please?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Campy shifters are just better (and cheaper used) than decent Shimano shifters, plus I prefer 9 speed for cyclocross.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've used this conversion with 10 speed Campy levers and it worked great:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-ca...-compatibility

Why not just get some 10 speed Campy? You loose the "clickier" downshifts, but I find my 10 speed Centaur ergos never miss a shift.

mtbr member
    So why not use a Campy derailleur?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Duder, Shimergo works great and yes, Campi shakes can be rebuilt, but I've found too many issues with 11 speed Campi shakes in general to make me want to go 11/9 Shimergo.

Get some non 'escape' or 'powershift' 10 speed campi levers and run the cable through the derailleur in the 'hub bub' method. 10 speed levers work a lot better than 11 speed. Sure, they're not the ergo 3's, but mechanically are more 'sound'. Lastly, you'll most likely want to change your front derailleur to a campi unit as arm length is different than Shimano and you'll notice a need for more effort on a non Campi FD than Shimano.

This comes to you from someone who runs Shimergo setups on damn near everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Campy 10 shifters have variable cable pull of 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice; and Campy 11 shifters are also variable (but unconfirmed cable pulls for each shift).

This chart states that Campy 10 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.8mm and Campy 11 shifters have an average cable pull of 2.6mm (Shimano 9 shifters have have an average cable pull of 2.5mm).

Therefore 2.6 is close enough to 2.5 to work well. and who knows how the variable pull works with 11 speed; but enough people seem to like the Camp 1/ w/ Shimano 9 combo to recommend it. I have loads of Shimano 9 speed wheels, cassets and derailleurs - so that is my other reason (cheap wheels).

Shimano mechs: Shimergo | CTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would also like to run Shimano 9speed with Campa 11 speed Ergos.

11 Speed Ergos are now the only ones which have the Ultrashift.
    (10 Speed Ergos now have the castrated Powershift, some say Power s*h*i*t.)

And I also hope I can fix the cable in a the normal way.
    With 10 Speed Ergos and Shimano 9x you have to fix it in a different way.
    It works well but looks akward. I also don't want to have marks from the cable on my Dura Ace Derallieur where they don't belong to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also think 9 Speed is much better (and cheaper) for cyclocross.

But in my case the Campagnolo Ergos are for a steel racing cyle.

On the CX I use new Sora ST-3500 which have more brake cable pull (feature: SUPER slr)than any other 9 speed brake/Shifter combination. This is perfect for 85 mm V-brakes and mechanical disc brakes.