mtbr member
    Nov 2013

CAADX 105 Disc vs. Macho Man Disc

Hi all, I have a "which would you pick" question. After much research/lurking on this board, I've narrowed down the choices for my first serious bike to two: the '14 Cannondale CAADX 105 Disc and the All City Macho Man Disc. I don't plan to race, bike will be for weekend rides for general fitness (probably roads of various quality 2/3rds of time and dirt 1/3) and some urban commuting. I realize that a lot of it comes down to personal preference and what fits better, just curious to hear what others think. Given the fact that I don't plan to race, would the ride quality of the steel Macho Man make up for the increased weight?
    Cost for either bike is identical at $1,275. I've been riding friends' bikes and have already checked the box for "is cycling something I'll stick to", so I want to get something I won't grow out of quickly, quality wise.

Thanks in advance for opinions!

mtbr member
    Can not speak for either of the ones you listed but I would go for the Macho Man...I have a Cannondale Super X and a Surly Cross Check...I like the ride of the Surly a lot and the ability to change it up depending on the mood that strikes me...My Cannondale is built with Sram Rival as well as the Surly...I dig the ride of the steel frame..to me they are both great bikes and you are probably right it comes down to personal preference...

The Cannondale limits me on what size tires I can run vs the Surly..the Surly has rack mounts which I did not think I would use...but have actually put a rack on it a time or two and used it...

Over all I think either will serve your needs but if it were me I think I would tend to go with the All City

mtbr member
    The MMD is a bike I've been eyeing for a while, it just screams cool. Looking at it from a hack racer's point of view, I'm sure its heavy. I'm not one of those who think steel will be more comfortable, aluminum has come a long way in that department.
    I'd base the desicion on weight vs. Versatility like Tony mentioned

mtbr member
    I have the SS version of the All City(Nature Boy), so obviously I swing that way

The bike has a great ride quality to the steel frame and is set up pretty well stock(granted, I do not have disks on my NB). The paint job is killer and you won't see your bike on every block, which is nice. I race mine and have no qualms about it as a race worthy rig, the geo is just right and if you got all serious, a carbon fork swap and comparable wheelset would lighten you up to race with the best of em.

Versatility is nice on the MMD. I don't think you can go wrong, especially with your intended usage. I don't have a negative thing to say about mine.

CAADX 105 Disc vs. Macho Man Disc-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BB30 is another reason I'll go with MMD

mtbr member
    May 2007
    MMD, all the way.

Don't have one, but wouldn't even consider a Cannondale over that. I was going to go for a MMD, but opted to wait for the Straggler.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.