mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Building a cyclocross bike out of db allure need help

Hello new to everything here from central pa and want.to get into cyclo. I have a db allure 27.5 650b that I bought new in early 90s. I want and need opinions where to go from. It will be for mostly riding with family I am getting back into it. The bike sat for 15 years plus. It was last ridden by 350lb Freinf who bent rear rim. It's in good shape except tires and bars. I want to ride in some comps Its cromoly I don't mind the extra weight spent 8 years carry allot of weight long distances for training. I am Planning just to put a rim on but need advice for tires because only want one set and some bars that fit the 25.4 risers. I have a db and reighley dealer as a uncle and grew up next to the shop so parts are accessible but money lacking because of recent layoff but start new better job tommorow but not working for a couple weeks put me behind. I don't want a new bike because I like the memories and challenge. Been really watching forums ( awesome by the way) give me your honest opinions. If anyone has done a allure or early override I would love to find some pics. Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Is this a bad Idea? I figured I would only be spending a little just a bunch of used parts and some tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I would say give it a shot. I did similar with an old touring bike (see build links in my signature) and that is a really fun to ride bike. Also built a new CX bike from the frame up to handle a little tougher terrain than the touring bike could handle. Don't have any experience with that specific bike, so can't help with any specifics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks Will check it out. It'll do allittle of trails and dirt roads arounds here. I don't think it's real common. I got it in early 90s tough frame I used it as a mountain bike. Rims took a beating. Now I am much older and need some safer hobbies to do
    With kids. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdpearson13 View Post
    Is this a bad Idea? I figured I would only be spending a little just a bunch of used parts and some tires.
    Go for it! Don't get caught up in the gear. It's your legs doing most of the work. Find some people to ride with and have fun. Then go home to the family with that post-exercise high and enjoy that too.

Do not be intimidated by the gear. Find people who feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My. Update thanks everyone, totally stripped bike and paint, painted frame a dark flat black it turns out it is a 700c rims I ordered a single crank and will just run a 7 Speed cassette. With a single crank I have enough room to run a 700 x 50 but plan on a set of 32-38 and maybe 45 firecross for offload. I think I am going to stick with flat bars with drop down riser I picked up. Also thinking about a inch threaded carbon fork. But was wondering what I would need to go to a 1 &1/8 looks like its possible from my standpoint but can't find any info on it. Also 1 inch threadless but don't see where to and what I need for true conversion. Do far I got 16 dollars in it and it going to be a bike I hope last for generations it's a cromoly frame and remember it was a great ride. Also I got acces to shop so and some used used bike parts. Would like to go to 9 or ten speed also but not sure if cassettes are interchanable and what a good usEd derailer and thumb shift. I'll post some picks if I can figure how to do it with phone.
    Thanks again.

The Brutally Handsome
    Sounds like a cool project, my first cross bike was also a converted mountain bike. What's your plan for the rear brake?

Regarding a fork, I'm not sure anyone makes a 1" to 1 1/8" threadless headset and if they do it would likely cost more than you would want to spend. If you want to change the fork and increase your options, I would recommend getting a 1" threadless headset, which are easy to find on ebay from 15-150$. Then you can use a 1" threadless fork and shim to run any modern bars and stem you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks it's got v brakes on it I'll keep them on it. I seen a overdrive comp with drop ads and different fork and it look like a lot of the bikes iseen for 1000 bucks. Allure is same bike but came with cheaper retailers rims stem and tires wich I am changing out. I got inspired by a reighley at uncles bike shop. That's we're dark flat black with a few coats of clear. It's a pita to cleaned all paint off the bike it was allot of aircraft stopper and allot of time after work with wire wheel with my 2 Mac airgrinders to get everywhere. It going to have all stainless components I think the model was furley

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got it painted and pinstriped wish I could post pics with phone. Got headset on the only thing left is rims crank and chain. Which has me stumped. What single crank chain and rear rim do I need with a 126 hub spacing. Does anyone have a good combo for under 250 bucks. Any suggestions or knowledge appreciated I have a sis derailer. Makes and models appreciated.

The Brutally Handsome
    Would need more info, perhaps a picture to help. You can easily stretch fit a 130mm hub in 126mm steel frame so that should open up your options. How many speeds is the derailleur system designed for? Many things will depend on this.