mtbr member

Budget-friendly cyclocross rim choices

I've got a set of hubs I want to built into a dual-purpose wheelset. The bike would mainly be for paved trails and I want to venture out into cyclocross next fall. The hubs are both 32h and I'm 210lbs, but ride fairly aggressively. I've always liked the Sun Ringle CR-18 for it's value, so that's a consideration, but I recently read that the Velocity A23 makes a decent cyclocross rim, too. Do any of you cx guys have experience with either rim? Is there anything else you'd suggest?

*edit* Do any of you guys have tires to ride offroad and another set for paved trails that you use on the same wheelset? How would a 700x25c tire mount up to a CR-18 or A23?
    Last edited by sasquatch rides a SS; 03-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im running A23s laced 3x to DT 350 hubs on my CX bike. Im around 190 to 200 and find the A23s a great all round rim.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I built wheels for my road bike using Alex DA28. They seem bomb proof and laced really easily. Found them on Amazon for about $30/ea.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    After doing some extensive research on these rims (at work ) I think I'm going with the A23's. I'm a big guy and read many reviews of the CR-18's breaking spokes. Plus I'd like to treat myself to a nice wheelset. I think I'll be happier in the end if I spend a little more up front. I'll be sure to post up after I build them.

mtbr member
    Another really nice option is the HED Belgium C2 rims. Substantially more money than the A23, but a really nice rim.

hispanic mechanic
    Quite happy with my A23s. Laced well, and held up to some ugly remounts and some rough courses this past season.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member

Trek 610 and Cross Check

I have been swapping tires on Vuelta Corsa HD Road Wheels on my bikes. I really like the wheels and they take a pounding. They are a 36 spoke wheel and manage to carry my 226lb ass over all kinds of foolish stuff.
    $149 from Nashbar plus shipping pending sale promotions ect....you know the drill. But yes skinny road tires and cross/gravel tires get swapped.

But understand I'm not to picky about labels and and grams....i just want what works and will take some abuse.
    Budget-friendly cyclocross rim choices-img_1702.jpgBudget-friendly cyclocross rim choices-5150.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. No progress yet, but I'll post up when I buy some rims and begin the build.

I'd rather be riding
    I'm running random wheels I found for free in my local shop. They spin and are kind of round. But for next season I think I'm going to do the A23 laced to a set of 105 or tiagra hubs. Preferably in white, gotta matchy matchy the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would like to upgrade my wheels. I ride a CX bike 98% on the road just so I can run tires 35mm or larger. I weigh 195lbs. Would the A23s be enough of an upgrade over the stock wheels I have? My current rims are Rodi Stylous Race. I know nothing about them, or any CX rims for that matter. But I do want a wheel upgrade that includes lighter weight. Suggestions?

Mine are like this I think, and I want better:

Budget-friendly cyclocross rim choices-capture.jpg

Sorry to piggy-back on your thread. I'm having trouble finding good(current) threads on rims/wheels...

mtbr member
    I ended up selling the hubs to a friend who will be building them up with CR-18's for a commuter bike he's getting. He's pretty excited about the wheel build and so am I.

Eli Broccoli
    I've seen lots of people running the new H Plus Son Archetype rim lately. Quality seems top notch from the few sets I've seen in person.