mtbr member

Budget Chinese Carbon Cyclocross build

I'm exploring the possibility of building a budget Chinese carbon frame up. Is it possible to do a complete bike for around $1000? Trying to use as many new parts as possible but realize second hand parts would be needed as well. I would try to do most of the work myself. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I do not know much about components.

Thanks,

Scott
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Im sure you can do it for close to 1k, especially if you do SSCX

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Don't forget to include shipping and tools/shop labor into your budget.

I'm looking at a FM058 and the best shipped price I've found is $550. I'll be racing it as a single speed this year and already have wheels, cockpit, and cranks in the garage.

Tires and Tubes $120
    Chain $30
    Cables $20
    Brakes and Levers $130
    Pedals $60
    Bar Tape $25

=$935 estimated.

This the "budget" build. If I get a deal on some tubular/tubeless wheels that could kick it up another $4-500. Going geared would probably add $400ish for shifters, derailleurs, and a cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    "Possible?" sure. Be honest about your expectations before you get started. $1000 will be going cheap in lots of ways. IMHO $2000 is closer to reality for a reliable bike build.

Why not just buy used? $1000 will go far.

Clueless Bastard
    Jesus is right. You can certainly limit your budget to 1K, but you're gonna make some substantial sacrifices that frankly will really limit the bike, and your riding experience.

Do your research, go middle of the pack (price/quality) on your pieces, scrounge outta CL and Ebay and put together something that may be a touch more expensive, but get you miles further down the road.

Personally, I don't do bottom of the line cheap anymore as all I get is pure disappointment, and with that, a feeling of regret as I just threw away good money. Spend for something you'll wear out, not bust.