mtbr member
    Mar 2008

budget based non race day tires you have stumbled onto ?

have you found a decent slightly bigger minimal knob tire that fits cyclocross frames.
    you use on your non race day rides

Amazon.com: Ritchey ExcaVader V2 Comp Cyclocross Bicycle Tire: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Ritchey Speedmax Delta Comp Cyclocross Bicycle Tire: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I LOVE the Ritchey SpeedMax as a rear during dry months. I've even raced with it before.

Yeah... it's hard to come across sub-$40 tires that are any good. I wonder if anybody as tried Vee tires?

mtbr member
    I've bought maxxis raze and mud wrestlers on ebay for <$30 a piece shipped. I've been happy with them, especially for being on backup wheels used for training and pounding pavement/gravel in the spring.

mtbr member
    You just have to figure out what tires you like, be patient and wait for a deal to show up online. I paid 19-24 dollars for my Ritchey Speedmax (the good ones) and 29 dollars for my Muds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

The Brutally Handsome
    I have both Speedmax and ExcaVaders. The Speedmax's are amazing, can't recommend them enough! The ExcaVaders not so much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've used the WTB on my 'cross bike before. Only good for very dry conditions on hard packed - basically dirty asphalt. I took them off after a ride my brother and I went wandering off into sand, hit a little mud and some wet tree roots.

These are all good commuting tires, but I wouldn't use them for 'cross training. Plus, they are a bit on the heavy side. The Ritchey Speedmax comes in a folding bead!

mtbr member
    Figure out which tires you want, then go to Google Shopping and search for them. Google usually finds the best price.

Google Shopping

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Ritchey Speedmax Pro's are great tires. Used them for racing, trails, road, path etc..Just be cautious cornering on wet pavement. The side knobs are pretty aggressive and don't like it.

I'm on Kenda Small Block 8's right now. They're decent tires. Not a lot of volume in the 32mm size, but other than that I've been pretty happy. Will replace the rear with a semi-slick when it wears out.

Michelin Mud 2's are awesome tires if you're riding off road primarily. Traction is incredible, and they roll well. Probably the supplest clincher I've ever ridden.