mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Brake Upgrade - what are you running and can recommend?

Hey all, have a Fuji Cross 1.3, love the bike however came with BB5's which I only learnt after I bought it are pretty crap. I'm sick of the constant adjustment and being halfway through a ride and having them start making noise etc...get home, more adjustment, takes too long, can't get them right etc....ehhh anyways, time to upgrade.

I don't ride cross races, I use the bike to commute to work, about 28km each way, and do long rides over the weekends, up to about 100km over gravel and road. Want to get better and go on some singletrack etc...

I've looked at Avid BB7's, recently started reading about the TRP Spyre and Hy/Rd (which i like but don't know about the level travel on my SRAM Rival gear).

Wondering what you lot run and can recommend, budget isn't much of a concern (just means a longer savings plan hehe) - I like the looks of hydraulic however really I just want something that doesn't require constant adjustment that'll stop a 95kg man (wishing he was 85kg) when going down a hill. Which my BB5's aren't great at :-)

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Shimano, XT maybe? But any shimano hydraulic IMO.

powered by peanut butter.
    XT won't work with drop bars. I've heard BB7 are a whole lot better than BB5, but I haven't used them myself.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Teen Wolf
    just got a set of bb7's on my cross bike, so far, so good. really like them. i've been running them on my mountain bikes for many, many years with success. i'd recommend them over the bb5, but i'd definitely shop around, especially if money isn't a concern.

jrm
    mtbr member
    switched from bb7s to trp Spyre dual piston mechanical discs. Great brake

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I upgraded my 2014 Jake the Snake to the TRP Hy/RD brakes. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but they have been great so far.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks all. I'm pretty much hearing that the BB7's, Hy/Rd's and Spyre is good. I think Shimano and SRAM have taken down their hydraulic's from their websites due to recalls...

I'll start looking into the above 3 brakes some more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    switched from bb7s to trp Spyre dual piston mechanical discs. Great brake
    Does it require much maintenance? Being dual piston I'd think u could get the rotor pretty much dead centre then set and forget, only adjusting for pad wear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yakkoTDI View Post
    I upgraded my 2014 Jake the Snake to the TRP Hy/RD brakes. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but they have been great so far.
    I think these are sitting at the top of the pile for me, I just keep reading that you have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get them working? Have you found this?

mtbr member
    I have BB5s on my wifes bike and have had 0 issues with them. Not sure if yours are properly setup/bedded in.

BB7s are definitely better.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Does it require much maintenance? Being dual piston I'd think u could get the rotor pretty much dead centre then set and forget, only adjusting for pad wear?
    Yup. Using a 3mm hex wrench just set each pad an equal distance from the rotor, center the caliper over the rotor and adjust the arm tension for modulation and that's it. They also dont suffer from brake fad like the bb5s and 7s do.

mtbr member
    +1 on the TRP HY/RD. Just installed on my Niner RLT to replace those awful BB5 that came with my build. Great modulation, great power. They aren't on the same level as the XT's on my mountain bike, but for the road/gravel... perfect.
    May have also been the easiest brake install I've ever done. First set of brakes I've ever installed that didn't rub the rotor off the bat. This video is a great tool to study prior... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8T6cON6y_Y

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    I think these are sitting at the top of the pile for me, I just keep reading that you have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get them working? Have you found this?
    I usually only need one or two fingers while still on the brake hoods to do most of my slowing. Heavy braking requires a little more involvement but I have not noticed that I pulled them all the way to the bar yet. Even Sunday's panic stop to avoid running over an unleashed dog didn't require a bar pull.

I did get lucky in the fact that the shop I bought the bike from installed them for free during the initial assembly.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks all!

I went back through the bikes I test rode as i remembered that 2 of them had hydro brakes...a Jamis and the Trek Crossrip ltd...well well well, wouldn't you know it, both TRP Hy/Rd's.

The Trek I didn't get to push really at all but the Jamis i gave a bit and still remember walking back in and seeing the guy telling him I wanted the bike just for the brakes...

TRP hy/rd's it is!