mtbr member

The Boone and Crockett picture thread....

I just ordered a 2017 Crockett 7 Disc. Help me with the wait by posting your pictures of your Boone or Crockett
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is a picture of my Boone 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-boone5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice shot, wish I had that kind of scenery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    do we have any information on the 2017 crocketts and boones?

mtbr member
    Like what? What are you wanting to know?

bicycle dreamer
    Few more in the photostream - just the latest one after the Dairy Roubaix! Enjoy your new bike!

Mmmmmm. Boone. by Jon Camp, on Flickr
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    I have a Crockett frame set coming soon.... my first one came misaligned.... I'll post pics at some point

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Like what? What are you wanting to know?
    colors and specs ....

just like general information....

mtbr member
    Got it in and went for a quick ride last night. Better pictures and impressions later.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I'm thinking super hard about getting this one....it's between the Boone and a Jamis Renegade Expert most likely. My heart is leaning towards the Jamis...my wallet is screaming buy the Boone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-boone-7.jpg  

Cannondale F29 carbon converted single speed
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid

mtbr member
    The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-uploadfromtaptalk1462163348679.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nobody racing their Crockett/Boone? Let's see some action shots!

The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-img_0329.jpg

The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-img_1305.jpg

The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-12045703_10153537789086154_598992779540774899_o.jpg

mtbr member
    coworker on his Crockett 7. Hopefully ill be doing some races this year.

Trail Junkie
    People aren't giving a lot of info on these guys. So I will offer a review and my own personal perspective. I have a '14 Boone 5 Disc.

I am not going to mention any geometry numbers or a whole lot that is going to be on the website. It's a shame that this bike hasn't even made much noise on Youtube...it's a pretty interesting bike.

So the whole hype with the new Boone frames is the IsoSpeed Decoupler which essentially has the seattube detached from the seatstays and toptube. It is instead connected through some bearing that allows more seattube movement than a traditional frame design. It works as intended. Does it work better than the SAVE post offered by C'dale or the Specialized CG-R? I don't know, but I suspect so. I would also like to add that if you're masterminding some kind of plan to combine the two systems....it won't work. The Boone has an integrated seatpost where the seatpost actually sleeves over the frame and is adjustable. So you really want to make sure you're getting into the right size frame or you may run into problems where the seatpost is either too short or too high. The compliance built into the IsoSpeed is noticeable, but shouldn't be exaggerated like some of the reviewers made it out to be. The combination of the carbon used, IsoSpeed, and fork rake makes for a pretty sublime ride, and I am very happy about it. I also have a Specialized TriCross Expert that is Columbus E5 aluminum with carbon stays and Speed Zertz was a frame far ahead of it's time. Light, fast, great ride...vertical compliance laterally stiff..it really is a marvel for a 2007 frame. However, the Boone with IsoSpeed tech steps it up a notch to a bike that pedals faster and more efficiency with a noticeably degree better compliance.

The frame has a more "compact" design with a semi-sloping toptube. Still room for 2 water bottles in a 50cm frame. The fit is more relaxed than many other CX bikes which I believe favors great gravel grinder platform.

Despite the numbers, I was able to fit Conti Speed Ride 42c tires on Rol D'Huez rims (22.5 external, 17mm internal, wider than traditional rims) with room to spare (3-4mm on each side). The front can significant bigger....probably 48-52c. Now keep in mind if you're riding somewhere with a lot of mud or tires that pick up rocks, account for that when you choose the size.

The ride is very natural and neutral. I don't personally like the 105 11sp that came on it, and the Bontrager TLR wheels are beefy, stiff, and tubeless ready, but the qualities end there. There is a lot of drag in those wheels, front and rear. You really have to put in extra energy to keep them up to speed. They don't coast along that nice at all. I wish the reason for this was the BB5 disc brakes, but it wasn't...I got that stuff out of the way really early on.

I personally believe that this is a very good gravel grinder platform if you want to build something light fast and compliant! It is by far the best engineered Trek I ever swung my leg over...and that says a lot because I never really liked Trek as a company or the products they make..which still largely holds true, but did it right with this one.

In the next month a friend is suppose to acquire a Lauf Grit fork. I have a Lauf TR29 (that is for sale I might add because I don't have a bike for it) so I know what to expect with Lauf. It should really be interesting to have that kind of noticeable active compliance in a gravel bike. So if I remember, Ill check back in with a review of it as a system, and who knows....if it blows me away, I'll likely buy one!

I will mention a quirk of the frame. If you want to re-cable the bike (the bike is all internal cable routing) or change the group like I did.....remove the BB before you start feeding cables! There is a plate on the bottom that routes cables, and it is a PITA to grab and direct the cables if the BB is installed. I learned that the hard way! Also you will need a smaller tube to feed through so that you can feed the cable..and then the hose over the cable. It's a tricky system to route, but not as nearly as hard as tri-bikes.

If you have any special questions, feel free to send me a message, and I'll do my best to answer.
    SC Tallboy C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Finally got my Crockett built up. I have some pretty screwy health issues so right now it'll just be mellow rides on it. Will work on final fit issues tomorrow
    The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Just want give my quick thoughts on my Rail Trail ride yesterday, first on the Crockett. The last post pic is my ride.
    It's a SRAM Force/Rival build with WTB i19 rims with x9 front and older WTB Laser Lite rear hub.
    Anyways as I said, I have a pretty serious health issue to deal with so my plan is to be ready with this bike for cross season in the Fall.
    This is one cool bike! I couldn't believe the acceleration this sucker hands out. But in doing so, there's still a comfort level there that will keep you fresh for the bell lap.
    Coming off a cheap aluminum frame I didn't think there'd be much of a difference but I was wrong.
    I'll definitely offer a better review in the coming weeks as I log some more time and hit some rougher stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hello,

Considering that many Trek Boone bikes come with 1x11 transmission (40T chainring / 11-28 cassette) I was seriously wondering how you guys can cycle uphill with 40/28 as your lowest gear??

I also run 1x11 on a Kona Rove but with a 38T front and a 11-42 cassette rear, and even though my lowest gear 38/42 is already 37% lower than the 40/28 of many Trek Boone bikes I'm still struggling on steeper climbs here. One time I was thinking of upsizing the front chainring to 42T for little more top speed but eventually couldn't afford loosing my lowest gear.

Maybe we are not riding on the same terrain but IMO the bike seems unnecessarily crippled with such a narrow 11-28 cassette. It's like as if I was loosing my 3 lowest gears!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Boone and Crockett are race bikes first and foremost, so if you need lower gears it's generally quicker to run. I've put a 50/34 on my Boone 5 as it is my gravel/do it all bike. I like the lower gear on loose climbs where cross/gravel tyres struggle for traction but I have the 50 for cruising on the tarmac.
    Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Hello,

Considering that many Trek Boone bikes come with 1x11 transmission (40T chainring / 11-28 cassette) I was seriously wondering how you guys can cycle uphill with 40/28 as your lowest gear??

I also run 1x11 on a Kona Rove but with a 38T front and a 11-42 cassette rear, and even though my lowest gear 38/42 is already 37% lower than the 40/28 of many Trek Boone bikes I'm still struggling on steeper climbs here. One time I was thinking of upsizing the front chainring to 42T for little more top speed but eventually couldn't afford loosing my lowest gear.

Maybe we are not riding on the same terrain but IMO the bike seems unnecessarily crippled with such a narrow 11-28 cassette. It's like as if I was loosing my 3 lowest gears!
    When I had my SuperX is was SRAM 1x and I grabbed a long cage r/d and 40T cassette. Worked perfect and could climb anything I can climb now with my 34/36 that's on my Jamis.
    Cannondale F29 carbon converted single speed
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid

mtbr member
    The Boone and Crockett picture thread....-13782070_1197181933654747_5648971669184333640_n.jpg