mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bontrager RXL MTB shoes - buckle slips on run-ups

I have wide feet and Bontrager is one shoe that fits me (in size 46 - bigger than I would wear in a normal wide shoe). The RXL is top-of-the-line and feels good and light with carbon sole.

But... it comes with a fancy buckle that adjusts both sides so you can center the cushioned bit over your shin/foot tendon. Trouble is that the inside is held by friction only. Every time I jump off the bike it slips a bit and thus makes the running hard since my heel comes out. I tighten it on the bike but each time the cushion is moving more outside and eventually I have to stop and undo it and re-center and start again. Really sucks given the price. I am almost at the point of dumping a bunch of super-glue down there but suspect that polypropelene won't hold the glue! I wish I'd bought their cheaper shoe without that feature.

I've tried really cranking it tight and it does slip less but is to the point of being uncomfortably tight.

Anyways, I guess I can try the Mavic Chasm and Dominator Mega. Shame to dispose of 2 week old shoes...

Mike.

hispanic mechanic

Bontrager RXL MTB shoes - buckle slips on run-ups

I have the same shoes, same problem.
    I wish I had a solution for you, but I don't. I don't have quite as bad of an issue as you do, or maybe I've just gotten used to it.
    I am disappointed in these shoes- not only the strap slipping, but the buckle itself is really fragile ( I've broken 3 in a year and a half,) and the stitching has come apart on both shoes.
    Looking forward to the Pearl Izumi X-Project shoes, but I may try some Specialized shoes.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Funny as I love my RL carbon road shoes. So light and great price. Oh well. Since the resale value is so low I might try to fix. Got some 12yo Diadora shoes lace up as backup. A little narrow bit fine. Have to figure out how to extract the worn stud screws though

Finding specialized shoes is hard. One store around here has them but I know they do wide in some styles but never able to try them on . I might just have to do Sidi - safety in numbers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, got my warranty replacement pair yesterday and I've been wearing them around the house trying to jump around seeing if they'll slip. They have not yet. Even just holding them in my hand it is hard to move that inside bit - which is good. On the old ones the strap would just fall out.

Tried on a pair of Dominator Megas Road shoe (all they had in size 46). Wow - still very tight on me. I couldn't use this brand either. That leaves Giro HV and specialized wide - both of which I'd need to special order. Maybe I should be getting this stuff from Zappos so I can ship 'em back easily. I am going to try my Bontragers though.

Interestingly, my old Diadoras (from 1994 it turns out) worked fine in my last race once I'd used a grinder to remove the old stud cover screws...