mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Bike for Clinton River Trail in Michigan. Ibis Hakkalugi or Salsa Warbird 2

I have not intention of getting involved in cyclocross racing nor will this bike be taken on singletrack. I already own 3 mountain bikes for my singletrack riding. I am trying to sell one and if it sells I want a bike for 40-60 mile excursions on a local trail system called the Clinton River Trail. The trail consists of blacktop, gravel roads and fire roads. I wil basically use it like a road bike but on this terrain. I refuse to ride on the roads with people not paying attention while driving.

I am leaning towards the Hakkalugi because I own the Ibis Ripley and love it. I think the Warbird though would end up being around $800 cheaper. I like that the Hakkalugi is carbon framed and will probably absorb the bumps better than the Alum Warbird. If the bikes were the same price it would be a no brainer to get the Hakkalugi but with the Warbird being $800 cheaper just want to make sure I should shell out the extra cash for the Hakkalugi. Any experience with either bike would help. I have read all the reviews I could find on both bikes and both bikes have very positive reviews. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chuck

Clueless Bastard
    I don't know the trail you're referencing, but what is your timeframe for this purchase? The principle reason is there are a slew of new cross bikes coming out for this next season and you might see something interesting. Felt, Raleigh, Specialized, and Trek are all making new bikes. It might make sense to see what develops. For example, now, I would ONLY do thru axles. Huge difference in how a bike tracks.

Cross disc brakes are now more commonplace as are thru axles. I think under the argument of "wheel changes" most racers (if they can afford it) would just transfer to a "B" bike, even if it were a down level version. So even if you're not ever gonna race the thing, the tech adoption might make a difference in your purchase.

If you want/need to pull the trigger now, the 'lugi is probably the better choice, but you might consider looking at the newer Vassago TKO. I know I am. vassagocycles - TKO Looks like a nice frame, made in AZ. Could consider a Foundry, or the Geekhouse guys have a new disc bike....Lots of really good product out there.