mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Better cornering, less pavement CX tire choices than Speedmax Pro 32

Looking for tires to take the place of my excellent Speedmax Pro 700x32. The Ritcheys have somewhat of a on/off feel during lean-in. At least to me. I'm looking for something with a more seamless transition in the corners.

The Ritcheys were great when I did more road riding; to the trails in a straight line and then the dryslick summer dirt had me pretty cautious. More upright. Now the moisture is here and cornering speed & style is different, and I'm noticing the on-off. And I'm doing less pavement.

Running tubes. Not racing. Not a muddy sloppy rider since most trails are saturated hardpack with some mud in shady areas. Weight not a major concern but price is.

mtbr member
    I use speedmax for the same purpose (mixed surface riding) and find them to be a bit better than other "semi-slick" cx tires for cornering consistency.

But if you're going to do more dirt and less road, try michilin jet (i've never tried them but they look pretty good) or Kenda Small Block 8. Those are two I'd look at. I really like the Maxxis Mimo for racing and trail riding but they will wear fast with pavement riding. I just started using a Specialized Houffalize which so far is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Michelin Muds are the best all around clinchers I've tried. I'm sure Schwalbe has a nice do everything tire too but I have no experience with their line. I don't like any of Cont'si cross clinchers but for this price you might want to grab them.

2011 Continental Cyclocross Speed Clincher Tire - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Happy Medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Only 1 left in stock.

jrm
    mtbr member

You and me both

im rolling on the 32c/520g WTB all terrainasausrus. Theyre anchors and the square edge profile is sketchy on pavement when rolled over.

next set of tires will be the 32c/ 350g WTB cross wolf tires.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Was running the ritchey's as a pair too, until recently. I stuck a Panaracer Fire Cross (45c) on the front after the first rains and love it! Not for racing for sure, but perfect for long rides with lots of dirt descending. Not sure how it will be once it really gets muddy (I can see it packing up with Bay Area clay) but awesome for now.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Was running the ritchey's as a pair too, until recently. I stuck a Panaracer Fire Cross (45c) on the front after the first rains and love it! Not for racing for sure, but perfect for long rides with lots of dirt descending. Not sure how it will be once it really gets muddy (I can see it packing up with Bay Area clay) but awesome for now.
    that's a big tire! my friend runs one as a rear on his salsa fargo. do you have to deflate it a bit to get it through the brake arms? i had to do so with my ritchey ZED 42...

mtbr member
    No need to deflate, but it is a squeeze. And there's a good amount of clearance on my Lemond steel fork.

New MTB XC Racer

Schwalbe cx_pro

I've used the Schwalbe CX PRO for the last two years and as a skinny CX tire it has greatly exceeded my expectations...
    Link here ...
    CX Pro HS 269 | Schwalbe North America

I use them for my cross bike and I am climbing steep sections and clearing sand and mud sections better than most. I also have had lots of guys go down in corners in front of me as well. I find when cornering and sliding at the limit I still have enough grip to correct and get traction back without going down. Nice controlled slide
    I have used them for Paris-Roubaix style races as well and I find these tire roll really well on the pavement as well. Wear for est 1500+ miles of CX and PR is still quite minimal over the last 2 years. Not a lot of pavement but probably 100-200 kms ...

I am a small rider, 5'4" 140ish pounds and typically run around 35 psi with tubes ....

Hope this helps ...
    Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
    I've used the Schwalbe CX PRO for the last two years and as a skinny CX tire it has greatly exceeded my expectations...
    Link here ...
    CX Pro HS 269 | Schwalbe North America

I use them for my cross bike and I am climbing steep sections and clearing sand and mud sections better than most. I also have had lots of guys go down in corners in front of me as well. I find when cornering and sliding at the limit I still have enough grip to correct and get traction back without going down. Nice controlled slide
    I have used them for Paris-Roubaix style races as well and I find these tire roll really well on the pavement as well. Wear for est 1500+ miles of CX and PR is still quite minimal over the last 2 years. Not a lot of pavement but probably 100-200 kms ...

I am a small rider, 5'4" 140ish pounds and typically run around 35 psi with tubes ....

Hope this helps ...
    Cheers,
    Paul
    For the most part, I agree with your post. Where I differ is air pressure. At your ht/wt, 35 may be good for you, but I haven't had that much success at anything below 45-50. I'm 5'6" 170-ish, so at my size I feel that may be why.

A couple years ago, when I ran the CX Pros for the first time in a CX race, I ran them at 40-ish (with tubes). The very first hard turn and the bead came right off the rim. I was lucky that it was in a warm-up lap, so I walked it back to the car. I figured I would air it up more to help it stay on the hooks (ended up using 50). Needless to say, the race was a pretty rough ride. But at the higher pressure, I felt pretty confident with it's traction and rolling abilities - like you describe. I eventually got some Challenge Griffos, and like them better for all around CX racing because I have run them at 30-ish successfully.

I haven't used the CX Pros for dirt/gravel races yet. I started using them recently for some fall dirt/pave road riding on my CXer, and like your experience, I think I find them to run pretty well on that mixture of terrain. I think I may run them in our spring dirt road races here in MI. Though I may try to find the lighter folding bead version for lighter weight.
    Randy

mtbr member
    I really like my Maxxis Raze (700x35) tires for mixed rides, they are predictable offroad and the center section is almost solid so they roll pretty well. I'm not sure about wear though as I haven't had them long. I'll be running Mutano Raptors (700x44 or Conti Vapors (28x2.1) offroad though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.