Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best MTB disc hubs for cyclocross?

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sheepo5669 
#1 ·
Guys, what are the best MTB disc hubs for cyclocross use (not singletrack). I want to run Avis BB7 ROAD brakes with 6 bolt 160mm rotors (also is it possible to use the centerlock Shimano hubs - or are 6 bolt versions required)?

I am a fairly heavy guy 220# and don't want to be rebuilding the hubs regularly. I would there to be cheap replacement freehub body parts available though.

I am coming from road, and have no experience with the MTB lines. The pre-built disc wheels come with a dizzying number of hub specs! Of these what are people finding are the best option:

Shimano XT FH-M756 (older standard w/ 18 clicks)
Shimano XT FH-M770 - 36 clicks
Shimano XT FH-M775 - 36 clicks
Shimano SLX FH-M665 - 32 clicks
Shimano SLX FH-M667 - 32 clicks
Shimano SLX FH-M629 - 32 clicks
Shimano FH-M529 - 16 clicks
Shimano FH-M590 - 16 clicks
Shimano FH-M595 - 16 clicks

(I could care less about # of POE clicks since these are for cyclocross use only).

I am leaning towards trying to find wheels that use the Shimano XT FH-M756, since they seem to have a reputation for reliability where the newer FH-M770/5 seem to have issues (especially for heavier riders).

See less See more
#2 ·
You can use centerlock or 6 bolt, whatever your preference. The BB7s will come with 6 bolt though. So you may need your own centerlock rotor if you go that route.

I would like some Chris King CX hubs. They have a little tougher seals than the MTN variety (I believe) and super high quality.

But honestly, anything will work. Hadley, DT Swiss, I9, Hope, shimano(poor seals), Novatec, whatever.

The shimanos I have worked on have loose ball bearings and poor seals. Great hubs and super adjustable, but poor in mud. I would get something with sealed cartridge bearings. Read everything above except shimano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.