mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Beginner size question, and beginner general question.

I'm thinking about getting a Cyclo-cross to act as my road-bike/commuter. It has conti tires on it which look like they could handle an occasional small curb, am I mistaken about that? And the size I'm looking at is 62 cm. I'm 6'0, 220, with average length legs. Is this bike being a little bigger than recommended going to be a big deal? And will a $1500 cyclo-cross make a faster commuter than a MB over 90% +pavement? Thanks is advance for any info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you un-weight the wheels rather than riding straight up it then it won't be a problem...Having said that, driving straight up a curb not a great idea with any tyre.

62 is almost certainly too big for your size but it's the top tube length that's most important, I'm 5'11" and ride a 58 with a 58 top tube which is perfect for me. Yep, a bike that doesn't fit is a big deal, it can make you really uncomfortable, handle badly and if you try to 'correct' the position with a shorter stem that'll make the handling even worse. The crank arms will probably be too long as well.

Even a dirt cheap cross bike is going to be faster than a MTB over 90% pavement, as long as it fits

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I prefer a longer top-tube in MTBs.. Is it a bigger deal in road/cyclo?? And What would a 62 cm be comparable to in a MB, like a 21? I know the geo is different enough that a direct comparison would be hard, but is 62 cm really that big? Sorry for the absolutely stupid sounding questions I could google myself and then probably pretend I knew all along, but I don't mind admitting that I know nothing about cyclo-cross bikes, and very little about road bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Put it this way, I have a 56cm frame and a 60cm frame sitting in my loft because they don't fit me, I'll get around to selling them one day

Proper fit is by far the most important issue when you're buying a new bike and you have the luxury of being able to get it perfect first time so I'd recommend you do that (even if you really want 'that' bike) or you'll end up like me with frames in your loft.

I've spent years perfecting my position through trial and error so I haven't used an on line bike fit site but I know there are some out there. Perhaps someone could recommend one???