Thread: Beater CX Bike

mtbr member

Beater CX Bike

The weather has been pretty crappy in the Boston area lately: very wet and muddy. I am reluctant to use my regular CX bike as I hate getting it all gunked up and doing a detailed clean each time so I was thinking of getting a cheap hybrid with canti bosses off craigslist and setting it up as a beater CX. Weight is irrelevant as I just want to do a quick wash down and ride. Anybody done this?

mtbr member
    I did that a few years back..well more than a few years...It was an old Specialized..I think Cross Roads was the model...real ugly like purple..I think it was a Cro-Mo frame..I left it flat bar and over time tossed on some old Deore Shifters changed the tires on it and the rear cassette..I remember digging through my spare parts bin and tossing stuff on it that fit..if I remember correct I put old yellow Kore pedals on it..I remember changing out the rear derailleur but can not remember to what

Treated it horrible...never cleaned it other than the chain when it needed and putting some oil on moving parts here and there...when I pulled into the garage I just tossed it wherever there was a empty spot..kind of feel bad now about the way I treated that thing...but it worked...crappy day ride bike..I think I had a rack on it as well..but really only remember that awful purple color...

jrm
    mtbr member
    If you dont need gears you could build a on one pompino and flog the daylights outta it.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Pompino is a cheap frame that will get the job done if you want singlespeed.

are you planning to build a drop bar bike? the problem with using a hybrid is that the frame geometry is designed for use with a flat bar, not a drop bar. making a drop work on such a bike may be harder than it sounds. it can be done, but you have to start with a bike that is "too small" for you, otherwise that reach could end up several inches too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I took a Giant FCR hybrid and am in the process of turning it into a cross bike. Not the cheapest of options if you're just going for a beater but I'm enjoying mine.