mtbr member
    May 2007

Barfing isn't winning

First cross ride. Didn't know what to expect. Got up up at 8am for a 10:20am start. Had a cup of coffee, started cooking the bacon. Made a couple of fried eggys and some toast. Two egg/bacon sandwiches. BOC for sure. Breakfast of champions.

More coffee.

Nerves kicking in.

Rode to the race. One the way there felt the nerves kick in some more. Bacon up top. Eggs down below. Feeling kind of high up. Can I do it?

SqueeZed my gut. Turned to the side. Much better. Another couple of miles...still tight.

Squeezed my gut, Turned to the side. Looked over. Wide eyed seniors witnessed me barf.

Registered, got my chip. Ran into a buddy. Asks me if I'm nervous 'cause I've got some puke on my chin. No eye contact. I gotta go and tune up my bike. [Thanks for comin' out].

Started last. Finished in the middle. Zone 5 all the way. Loved it.

Next weekend: no changes. I'm hooked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    seems like a good day.

but try eating 3 hrs before the start.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Skip the bacon and that sounds like a good race day breakfast, cook the eggs in olive oil. I usually don't digest as quick (nerves) on a race morning, even with a start 3-4 hours after breakfast I'm often not hungry yet. Have some gels or grapes on hand if you are a little hungry prior to race. Limit the coffee too, the last thing you want is to be a under-hydrated, or feel like you have to pee (again) just as grid is lining up. I do one cup of coffee on race morning, (no alcohol the night before), last coffee sip not less than 2 hours prior to start. Drink energy drink (I like cytomax) starting about 90 min before start.
    I often make a quick pair of eggs with a small bit of ham and a piece of toast before heading out for a Sunday am workout, I like to think I'm training my body to be able to work hard on a pretty full gut. I have puked once during an xc race, I ate too many crappy pancakes at the pre-race pancake breakfast, and I was not as fit as I was used to being, and pushed too hard. You do feel a lot better post-puke, but I doubt you'll ride nearly as fast as you would otherwise.

mtbr member
    Damn, just thinking about that breakfast makes me ready to barf, lol.

I did a 70 mile road ride on Sun, and my breakfast consisted of a glass of OJ, a bowl of Special K, and half a protein bar in the car on the drive to the start.

I can't do physical activity on a full stomach.

Glad you had fun! I'll be doing my first race the upcoming weekend, I can't wait!

Which reminds me, I need to start practicing my running dismounts.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Outlaw
    Have a little courtesy and tell the folks that you line up next to what side you intend to vomit to so they aren't caught off guard. I do this every race.

Don't skimp on the bacon... ...ever! But do get up and eat earlier in the morning. When I raced at 8AM I was up by at the latest 5AM, and the first thing I do is eat. I also start pounding fluids the day before. Both plain water and I've been trying Heed from Hammer. Seems to be good stuff, albeit a little pricey.

If you want to be at the front of the race then skip the coffee, hydrate better every day (less beer, which should be a mortal sin) get rest, start doing intervals, learn how to handle your bike better, get a better bike, practice dis/remounts, blah blah blah.

Sounds like a shitload of fun right?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Joe, it's gonna be tough to skimp on bacon but I did it. Oatmeal a couple hours before seemed to do the trick this week. I think I could push it off to three hours before? I'm starting at the rear of the beginner pack and picking em off as I go. Last week I picked off 18, this week ?? I think it's better but I have to wait till it gets posted. Big key for me this week was better tires - switched to some small block eight styled tires. Mid week I did an hour of race intensity practice with a local team of cat 3/2 guys and that seemed to carry me through most the pack today.

Stuntman Mike: you're an animal for riding 70 on a glass of OJ. Me, that would put me in hypoglycemic shock. I gotta eat to keep the bloodsugar up there.

NWJim. Maybe we're riding together? I just finished up the MFG Cyclocross #3 at Silver lake in Everett today. Agreed on the bacon for sure. I'm gonna ditch the swine for a while and see where that leads. I can always start up again in December, right? A buddy in cat 2 masters tells me quinoa and steel cut oats are the way to go. I called bs but whaddya know I managed to sneak by a coupla dozen in the beginners category today...

Next race isn't for two weeks so I think I'll try to stick to the complex carbs for my base and see where that goes. Mellow ride Tuesday, full race pace on Wednesday at Marymoor practice night, hard commute Friday, and long ride on the weekend.

I'm super stoked about CX racing. It's a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyneal View Post
    Stuntman Mike: you're an animal for riding 70 on a glass of OJ. Me, that would put me in hypoglycemic shock. I gotta eat to keep the bloodsugar up there.
    LOL, no I ate more than that...it was a supported ride so I ate along the way at a few of the rest stops...they had fruit, Gatorade, PB&J, and Cliff bars .

I just can't start these things off with a full stomach.

Same thing with the cross race I did Sat AM. A small bowl of Special K was all I had beforehand, and a Zone bar right after.

I should prob eat better before these things.

And yeah, CX is a blast! I want to do more races now.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm just doing the seattlecx series this fall, the mfg sounds cool too, but I'm in Tacoma and it's a family day going to the races; my son is racing the 6-9s and my daughter does the little-little kids course, so with 3 bikes and kids it's a bit complicated on race morning. Plus I'm finishing out an autocross points series, so we've got quite a bit going on, -racing every other weekend is ok. I'm doing Cat3 45+ this year.

A week from today (10/13) is seattlecx #2 near Issaquah.

I think consistency with eating is important; race morning is not the time to experiment with your menu. I know guys who feel great on oatmeal, I never feel like it stays with me, but I worked out after a bowl of cereal this morning (didn't feel all that great today either...).

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. I have an opportunity to do my first CX race this weekend on an "easy" local course. I'm still on the fence about it, but if the weather is good, I should do it.

Chad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Sounds like fun. I have an opportunity to do my first CX race this weekend on an "easy" local course. I'm still on the fence about it, but if the weather is good, I should do it.

Chad
    Do it! Even if its raining. It's a blast! And nice avatar, BTW.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Do it even if it's bad weather, all the kids play soccer in the rain and mud, rain and mud are not a big deal, just bring an extra towel.
    Bring a crappy extra jacket, or get one at the goodwill for warmup and to wear in grid, toss it off to the side of the course 2 minutes before start and pick it up after the race. Get a rough looking umbrella too, use it as you're standing around waiting for start, and then leave it by your jacket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Do it! Even if its raining. It's a blast! And nice avatar, BTW.
    Yea, I noticed that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Yea, I noticed that too.
    Yeah, it's wierding me out, Every time I see one of your posts, I think it's mine LOL.

Which Ridley do you ride? And funny, I bought mine in April, and up till my first CX race I've only seen ONE other Ridley on the road. Then I saw DOZENS of them at the race.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Damn dude, I cant do meat at all before a race. Makes me queezy every time.

Oatmeal and fruit is money for me. My decadent breakfast of choice the last few weeks has been a toasted whole wheat bagel with almond butter, ricotta cheese, local honey, and coconut shreds. Eat it about 2 hours before the race and eat some dates about 30 minutes before the race begins.

If you're wanting something easy to pound for breakfast, soak your oatmeal in milk overnight along with whatever dried fruit you want to eat. The fruit will plump up as it absorbs moisture and the oatmeal will get really soggy. You can drink the resulting muesli cold in the car on the way to the race. Less time to prep at the house, more time to sleep. Also, make some cold brew coffee the day beforehand so you dont have to worry about that either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bacon and egg sandwich is my pre-race breakfast of choice.

Like hammy said, eat 3 hrs. before your start.

Worked for me this weekend, with a third on Sat. and fourth on Sun. in the 35A's.......... and I'm old.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    @Evenflo... that name reminds me of a song...and bacon seems to be a great idea before it comes back up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    @Jimpacnw... I was wondering about seattle cross series...but they want me to but a license... I dunno.. it adds up. You going to Tall Chief this weekend? I'm taking a weekend off. Wife planned some pics down at Lincoln park for the Christmas cards. Ugh. Not sure if I can stomach that

mtbr member
    May 2007
    @GTBScoob: I'm with ya. Oatmeal in milky is the best. Throw in a little half and half and the nurse will tell ya you got some LDL issues. Meh. As long as it isnt' too close to race time it'll do ok.

Last week I scoffed it down two hours prior and I made it fine.

@chad_m...Dive in buddy...start last and try to work up to the start. I'm tellin' ya, if you start last there's no shame. At least 10% are going to dnf on ya...so you got that goin' for ya. Just keep ur tires full so you don't flat and dnf like those other suckers...

The Brutally Handsome
    x3 oatmeal a couple hours before racing, less for the body to think about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyneal View Post
    @Evenflo... that name reminds me of a song...and bacon seems to be a great idea before it comes back up.
    The song your thinking of is by Pearl Jam. My handle comes from elsewhere.

There was a guy doing bacon hand-ups at the first MTB race of the year(March in Idaho) ........best hand-up ever!!!!!!!!!!!