mtbr member
    Feb 2004

bar options for 1" threaded steerer

So I've got this Bianchi Volpe I'd like to use for some recreational CX riding. It has a 1" threaded steerer. The way it looks to me, I'm kind of stuck with a quill stem and the resultant smaller diameter clamp (26mm) handlebars. I'd like to try a set of bars like the Salsa Cowbells but they're only available in 31.8mm clamp diamater. Any suggestions for how i can get from the bars i've got to wider flared bars without replacing my fork and headset?

I think there may be some sort of threaded to threadless converter thing but i know nothing about reliability/strength.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nitto has a bunch of bars to choose from that would work for you. Their rando bar has a lot of flair, the classic a little less and the Noodle the least amount (I think). I ride a 48cm Nitto Noodle and I like it a lot- nice bends, wide and easy access to drops. You can get a 25.4 clamp size and use a shim if you want.

For what it is worth, I wouldn't throw a Salsa bar on a Volpe with a 1" steerer- it would ruin the classic steel look. Get a Nitto and get a retrogrouch t shirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you don't care about that classic quill stem look you can use one of the quill stem adapters.

mtbr member
    Or you could replace the fork and headset with a 1" threadless set up and use a 1 1/8" threadless stem and a shim...not the cheapest option but would allow you to use more modern bars and stem.