The Badger

Bad Idea? : Dawes Lightning Cross

Hey yaLL, Looking for some input.

Ok, I am eyeing the idea of getting the Dawes Lightning Cross. The Dawes is about all I can afford. Link: Road Bikes - Dawes Lightning Cross Cyclocross

The bike weighs about 25Lbs from what I am reading, and the components are obviously not the best by any means.

Currently my only other bike is a SS 29er. ( Love it )

My question is - For CX racing would it be better to get the Dawes or just ride my SS29r in the Single speed CX class?

I am probably only going to do 2 CX races, for there is no scene around here so I will have to drive a state over.. If purchased I would probably put road bike tires on the Dawes to ride on the roads when not racing.

Also to note: I have done been down the road bike path.. and I am not going back to that side.. too many unwritten peloton rules and too much man drama .. Ile ride the roads by myself... ( for anybody who may recommend a road bike ) NOOO brings back bad memories of me getting reprimanded by the race team I was on for going too fast.. silly

The SS I have isn't too shabby on the roads either, but with the right gearing of course.

Nonetheless, I have practiced CX with my SS, and I can do the barriers and runs and bike mounts just fine.

Truly I think this is just something I want, but I probably do not really need it.

I guess a more economical purchase would be some skinnier tires for the 29er.. Vs. the leaf cutters I have on it now.

Advice is appreciated!

Human Test Subject
    save your money and buy something better later. Nashbar steel isn't too much more expensive but is a much better bike.

Nashbar Steel Cyclocross Bike - Restricted Items

The Badger
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    save your money and buy something better later. Nashbar steel isn't too much more expensive but is a much better bike.

Nashbar Steel Cyclocross Bike - Restricted Items
    Thanks - The Nashbar bike atleast has 105's which is nice! I tend to have bad luck with shifters/derailers.. ( hince why I own a single speed ) So having something with a decent group would be a plus.

mtbr member
    I had purchased a Dawes Lighting road bike for my son a couple of years ago and he rides it rarely. It just happened to be my size as well. So i slapped some 32 cyclocross tires on it and raced it cross. It went ok despite the chain coming off over the barriers. The course was better suited for Mt. bikes and a 29er single speed was used the next year then a surly Karate monkey 1X9 the next. My thought is to build a Surly cross check up for this foolishness. Over this span of time I learned the virtue of doing it right the first time. Buying bikes that are half assed leave you with regret. Now on the flip side one of my favorite is an old Trek 610. Also raced cross with that one and is now a commuter. Steel frames are nice. Hence my appeal to Surly stuff. Like Volsung the Norske says save up and get the good one. It will last for years and years.

Chris

The Badger
    @CBUL - Thanks for the advice. I am going to stick with my SS29er, and stay away from buying a mediocre bike.

Thanks !