mtbr member
    Jul 2008

avid ultimate or TRP cx8.4

Upgrading brakes on cross bike from kores.

Best candiates right now look like Avid ultimate shorty or TRP CX8.4, if I ride through deep mud it wont be often and am willing to deal with it, I want better brakes for doubletrack types rides and maybe occasional endurance race.

What do you think has more stopping power?

What do you think is easier to adjust?

Anyone tried both?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    The mini v's will have more power than cantis and discs will have more power than V's. Both should be easy to adjust unless you have some kind of fluke problem. If you do have a problem with either brake someone on this forum will be able to solve it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been very happy with my TRP CX8.4's

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Trp cx8.4 all the way.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    went with cx8.4, be awhile before i get them on and to terrain where they will be truely tested but think i made right choice.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Wolf nipple chips
    Or get the Tektro mini-v's for 1/10th of the cost of the TRP's.

The mini-v thing is amazing. I don't know how it is where you live, but we don't see much mud at all during our cx season - rarely more than one or two "mud/sloppy" races a season.

I'm a huge mini-v fan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another vote for the 8.4. The lower price tektro mini-v is also a great value but they don't have the same bling look as the 8.4.

mtbr member
    Just a question about the TRP 8.4's. We have two 2013 Speci Crux Comps and i have swapped one over to TRP 9.0's which i'm super happy with but when i went to convert my son's crux over i can't get them anymore as the importer has canned TRP but they do still have some 8.4's in stock. TRP say they are more suited for sram rather than shimano is this right or do they work fine with the 105 shifters? I would had thought being that little bit shorter they would be fine. Thanks for any help.
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    shimano with under the bar-tape routing should use a CX9.0, older shimano with external shift housing should use CX8.4

mtbr member
    Best price I've seen on the CX9 TRP CX9 Mini-V brake, front/rear set - black

You might want these too Jagwire 90 Degree Brake Noodle with Barrel Adjuster Silver @ eBikeStop.com

Jenson will match those prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For the record, I run the cheap tektro mini-v with newer under tape cable 105, and they are great. These arms measure 80mm, even shorter than the 8.4. Plenty of power, even for mountain road decents... Not sure about mud clearance...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    shimano with under the bar-tape routing should use a CX9.0, older shimano with external shift housing should use CX8.4
    Thanks scary, that i knew but why when others run 80mm arms with new type shimano are the 8.4's not suitable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    For the record, I run the cheap tektro mini-v with newer under tape cable 105, and they are great. These arms measure 80mm, even shorter than the 8.4. Plenty of power, even for mountain road decents... Not sure about mud clearance...
    Thanks Zstrange, i read plenty of times people run the tektro mini-v's with new type shimano shifters so thats why i'm a bit confused about the CX8.4's.
    We don't race the Crux bikes, they are for on and off road fitness training and i commuted with mine in all weather, mud is not a problem i just want to stop quickly and without the mind numbing squeal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Best price I've seen on the CX9 TRP CX9 Mini-V brake, front/rear set - black

You might want these too Jagwire 90 Degree Brake Noodle with Barrel Adjuster Silver @ eBikeStop.com

Jenson will match those prices.
    Thanks limba for the links but by the time i add the international shipping and then the Swiss import duties they become a tad expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorry for the necromancy on this thread, but rather than start a new one I figured it is best to keep all info in one place:

I currently have Shorty Ultimates on my Cronus atm, I use SRAM Rival shifters.

While I am happy with the brakes, I am spoiled having used disks forever on my MTBs. I was toying with changing to TRP 8.4 if there wold be a big improvement in performance - just wondering what people's opinions are on this?
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5 (for sale)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    d/w, I just bought a set of 8.4's. I'll post a comparison when I get them installed!
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5 (for sale)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had shorty ultimates on my previous bike. New bike has TRP CX9's.

Difference is night and day....love em.