Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chad_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    485

    anyone using Gevenalle shifters?

    https://www.gevenalle.com/

    I'm thinking about them. I am getting feed up with poor shifting on my 105 system. Seems like new cables only last a year, then there is enough friction to make RD shifts sloppy.

    Would also be an interesting time to throw a XT RD on and have the ability to run 2X or 1X with a clutch.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

  2. #2
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    334
    My thoughts exactly. I was thinking of instead getting a set of Microshift MTB bar end shifters so I can use a clutched rear mech. The Gevenalle sytems basically uses Microshift shifters. I've been using bar ends for so long that it might me hard for me to get use dto the Gevenalle setup.

  3. #3
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    22,220
    I have a set of Gevenalle GX 2x10spd shifters mated to a clutched SLX RD on an 11-36 cassette and a 105 FD on my Salsa Vaya. Works pretty well. Best aspect, IMO, is how dead simple they are.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chad_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have a set of Gevenalle GX 2x10spd shifters mated to a clutched SLX RD on an 11-36 cassette and a 105 FD on my Salsa Vaya. Works pretty well. Best aspect, IMO, is how dead simple they are.
    That would be my exact setup (maybe xt instead of slx just because I have a take off RD).

    11-36 cassette is a mt bike model right? I wasn't sure if the pitch between 10 speed mt and rd cassettes is the same. To start with I was planning on keeping my 12-30 ultegra cassette with the XT RD - will that work?

    Rode gravel in dusty hot humid conditions this weekend and now the 105 sti hoods are shifting poorly again after getting them working well 3 days ago...
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    22,220
    Should be fine in 10spd. Differences don't come up until 11spd, but those are only for the freehubs, not with chain compatibility or shifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    That would be my exact setup (maybe xt instead of slx just because I have a take off RD).

    11-36 cassette is a mt bike model right? I wasn't sure if the pitch between 10 speed mt and rd cassettes is the same. To start with I was planning on keeping my 12-30 ultegra cassette with the XT RD - will that work?

    Rode gravel in dusty hot humid conditions this weekend and now the 105 sti hoods are shifting poorly again after getting them working well 3 days ago...
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Belltown Brazer
    Reputation: MDEnvEngr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    688
    I've been running these shifters 1X10 with an XT rear deraillleur 40 X 11-42 I think. They work great on my cx/gravel bike. Work great if you mostly ride on the hoods. I have built a new bicycle and designed it to ride mostly in the drops. These shifters will come off and I'll put a bar end shifdter on. They are light and simple and are pretty natural to use - from the hood position.
    Departing from East Hampton, CT

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chad_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post
    I've been running these shifters 1X10 with an XT rear deraillleur 40 X 11-42 I think. They work great on my cx/gravel bike. Work great if you mostly ride on the hoods. I have built a new bicycle and designed it to ride mostly in the drops. These shifters will come off and I'll put a bar end shifdter on. They are light and simple and are pretty natural to use - from the hood position.
    Do you find the Gevenelle (tektro) hoods to be comfortable enough for 4 hour+ rides?
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

  8. #8
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    22,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Do you find the Gevenelle (tektro) hoods to be comfortable enough for 4 hour+ rides?
    I have been on mine for 8+hr rides mostly in the hoods and did not have any problems. I have them on salsa cowchipper bars, fwiw. I find the angles on them to be very comfy.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Gevenalle GX / Shadow Plus Rear Mech?
    By AlexCuse in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 03:26 PM
  2. For guys using headphones while riding - anyone using bluetooth?
    By swing22hard in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 03:53 AM
  4. Should I swap-out my new Alivio shifters for 3 year old XT shifters?
    By bwalton in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
  5. Twist Shifters to Tigger Shifters?
    By coopdad in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Members who have read this thread: 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.